Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post by Lowpe »

At Uttaradit the troops are sharpening their bayonets, while the IJA targets some tanks...will the tanks make Uttaradit in time for the shock attack?

Attachments
helen.jpg
helen.jpg (378.28 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

But, back at Georgetown the Allies are here to stay. There never was any doubt![:)] Etorofu finally falls too...

Attachments
georgetown.jpg
georgetown.jpg (519.93 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Uttaradit: The bayonets are sharpened. The grenades distributed. The cry of Banzai can be heard, a few veterans heard that call at Broome, and remembered the glory days (short though they were). Thru the jungle the Japanese trooper came, they were on a mission for their Emperor.

Banzai!

Attachments
uttaradit.jpg
uttaradit.jpg (463.08 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Tracker data on air losses is 100% accurate.

Kind of cheating, then.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Uttaradit: The bayonets are sharpened. The grenades distributed. The cry of Banzai can be heard, a few veterans heard that call at Broome, and remembered the glory days (short though they were). Thru the jungle the Japanese trooper came, they were on a mission for their Emperor.

Banzai!

Banzai!

It's the little victories that count at this point, be it on the ground, at sea or in the air. I'm at the point where I consider even stalemate actions a victory.

What do you have on the ground in Malaya and what do you plan to do with it? The prize is obviously Singapore, so do you fall into the forward defense or Fortress Singapore camp?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Off to the movies with the family, so m-m you will have to wait for an answer.

Here is one of the things I find much joy in this game, the ugly ducklings: the Lorna. I am making 9 a month, if they don't get bombed out. Enough for one squadron, eventually.

Kind of neat to see them in action. The pool stands at 1; with 2 planes in a squadron. [:D] [:D]

Attachments
lorna.jpg
lorna.jpg (303.73 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The Allies probably have a ton of these, but it is worth 16 VP and cost 3 torpedoes to bring down.

Attachments
lsi.jpg
lsi.jpg (177.41 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

What do you have on the ground in Malaya and what do you plan to do with it? The prize is obviously Singapore, so do you fall into the forward defense or Fortress Singapore camp?

Not too much. RTA division in the north; dribs and drabs everywhere else.

I pretty much abandoned the SRA back in Nov 43. Gonna finish doing the job now, I am into force preservation and not last man stands pretty much for this game. I see the value in a fortress Singers as both a delay and force division. But my thought was never to build up the SRA, just conduct a fighting withdraw and attempt not to lose a huge amount of land based VP.

If I can conduct more raids versus shipping as he advances and preserve my troops, I will be pretty happy.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Why is thought to be?
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Why is thought to be?

I remember asking about this, or another conversation about it, a couple of years ago. I don't have time to dig up the thread at this moment, but IIRC it has something to do with Tracker accessing the save file. The answer was that it either has to be this way (with no FOW), or nothing. I think. I also think the answer came from Damian and Alfred.

The LCU VPs are completely accurate also (although they are in the game's screen too), and in this way you can use math to arrive at an accurate total of VPs for ships sunk (total - air - LCU - bases = remaining VPs = ships).

That said, I've noticed a slight error there. Tracker counts air losses such as ditching as Ops, and adds them to the totals (as it should). However, you don't always get VPs for these planes. So your VPs from planes will be slightly less than the total listed in Tracker.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Why is thought to be?

I remember asking about this, or another conversation about it, a couple of years ago. I don't have time to dig up the thread at this moment, but IIRC it has something to do with Tracker accessing the save file. The answer was that it either has to be this way (with no FOW), or nothing. I think. I also think the answer came from Damian and Alfred.

The LCU VPs are completely accurate also (although they are in the game's screen too), and in this way you can use math to arrive at an accurate total of VPs for ships sunk (total - air - LCU - bases = remaining VPs = ships).

That said, I've noticed a slight error there. Tracker counts air losses such as ditching as Ops, and adds them to the totals (as it should). However, you don't always get VPs for these planes. So your VPs from planes will be slightly less than the total listed in Tracker.
my numbers match game numbers which means FOW still intact. Total VP correct, subtotals do not add to total due to FOW.

Maybe I'm just not lucky ...

EDIT: should add that I just opened the AI side and the subtotals are quite different for both ship and air compared to what is given in Tracker.
I would expect this to be the case ... tracker should not be allowed to crack FOW ...
Pax
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Slogging thru my turn, some turns are easier than others. Today is very click intensive.

I am setting up a network of three strong points north and south of Chumphon. From the air bases I may be able to get in the decent kamikaze attack or two, plus tie up Allied forces. The anchor of the defense will be a RTA division I had slated for Singers, but they won't make it in time now. This might work out just as well.

At this point in the game I have given up on ship upgrades unless they are very short. I have a BB at Singers for 3 more days, I misclicked the other day and didn't take her out of repair mode. Perhaps she will get away, but I suspect the Allied air force will easily dominate from Georgetown.

Last of the fuel/oil shipments heading out of Singers. Will strand a fair amount, but I don't need it anyhow.

Over in Honshu, it looks like all the likely invasion spots will have forts 5. Should I prioritize 5, and then try for 6?. My thought was 5 is enough and just stop. Why blow the supply? I was thinking about keeping the forts going at Tokyo, mainly to lessen the loss of supplies thru enemy bombing. Coastal guns dot the coast; and even the islands are looking better. I have to be careful of a deep invasion by the Allies...and I have also built up Korea and Chinese coastal invasion beaches. It is a work in process.

Ustonomiya has the highest AV, over 1200. Hachinohe has the most coastal guns, followed by Akita.

I am globally turning off engineer replacements. My engineer units will still replace support, which I am low on almost everywhere, but I am not sure I will need more engineers. A simple matter to globally turn off all replacements for Engineers and then let Engineers flow into the combat units for a week or so. Minor supply savings I guess here.

Since I can't build any vehicle pool for the June new models, I am going to allow tanks to be built for the Indochina front. Can't see why not.

Lost an Iboat yesterday putting mines into Georgetown, also mine the Straights and lost a PB doing it to an American sub. The Iboat only got torpedoes off on a Destroyer.

Waiting for the hammer to fall at Bangkok and Ayuthia.[X(]

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Turn is done. Whew.

20 units arrived at Shanghai after making their long trips back from the perimeter. Safely. An HQ or two, which will alleviate my support shortage, many engineers, a few AA, some splinters of divisions.

Another large convoy is between Luzon and Formosa.

Another large convoy is headed to Luzon from points south.

I turned off a few ships, tankers and oilers. I don't think I am going to run out of HI, but I don't need the ships either. If I do, they are a few short days from completion. Will work more on that tomorrow. Merchant shipyards are pretty much shut down anyhow, and pools drained.

Allied subs seem to have disappeared into the deep water from China and Honshu.

2 more days and my first full strength squadron of J3M3 will be ready with crackerjack pilots. Should be fun.[:)]

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I would expect this to be the case ... tracker should not be allowed to crack FOW ...

It definitely does "crack" it. Let's see if I can find the thread, or if not I'll post some screenshots with my arithmetic.

Edit - I can't locate the thread/post. It was quite some time ago. I am pretty sure Alfred chimed in with some knowledge.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

It definitely does "crack" it. Let's see if I can find the thread, or if not I'll post some screenshots with my arithmetic.

Edit - I can't locate the thread/post. It was quite some time ago. I am pretty sure Alfred chimed in with some knowledge.
I'm just unlucky then. Definitely does not for me. Current game AI naval is lagging almost 1000VP, AI air is about 500VP. This is comparing tracker numbers to what is on the summary page for the AI player.
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here we are.

Attachments
Trackerai..tpoints.jpg
Trackerai..tpoints.jpg (813.49 KiB) Viewed 45 times
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

Well I do not have access to game source code, but base on my experience I am convinced that FOW is just filter witch is applied by game engine during drawing statistic screens.
Tracked is it completely separate piece of software and only display raw data from database. Without access to game source code or FOW filter algorithm implantation of such future in the tracker s/w is quit difficult or even impossible.
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

Well I do not have access to game source code but, base on my experience I am convinced that FOW is just filter witch is applied by game engine during drawing statistic screens.
Tracked is it completely separate piece of software and only display raw data from database. Without access to game source code or FOW filter algorithm implantation of such future in the tracker s/w is quit difficult or even impossible.

Ups, wrong mouse click.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

Well I do not have access to game source code, but base on my experience I am convinced that FOW is just filter witch is applied by game engine during drawing statistic screens.

After looking at this again, I don't think FOW is applied to the daily loss summaries on the Intelligence summary screen either. I've done the arithmetic on the daily losses on many occasions and it always adds up with the VP totals, so I'm 99.999% confident that FOW doesn't apply to Tracker's aircraft losses, nor to that stuff on the left side of the Intelligence screen.

If you click into Aircraft Losses, however - you definitely get FOW there.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

April 9th, 1944

No night bombing.

All Allied bombers over Honshu sweep and bomb Tokyo in severe storms. 57 Japanese planes lost for 50 Allies, Allies get 2-1 in fighters (they lose a dozen each Jugs and Spits (I don't see how he can keep this pace, but neither can I) and we drop a dozen more 4E beasties including more B29s lost (4). However, Tokyo burns some more.

But the real news is at Bangkok! Allied bombers move away from Bangkok and Ayuthia and hit deeper in the lines. What joy![:)] The forced river crossing into Bangkok and Ayuthia has been canceled.

I have to hold the Bangkok line for 8 days so the troops from Uttaradit can escape, however they are being moved on by 8 units of 50K and 1200 afvs. How many are headed there is unknown, but eight to ten days is a long time.

Or do I try to hold for longer? There is a strong 1500 point of combined AV east of Ayuthia and the troops are in good combat shape but no AA there yet. He has 8 units across the river, and 31 west of Bangkok.

If the troops in Uttaradit are ejected, where will they retreat to? the half road hex or the heavy terrain making their movement back to Japanese supply lines very time consuming.

The shredded 14th Division is fully entrained, and will leave Ayuthia today already rebuilding their strength...they will head all the way back to Hanoi and Haiphong to full rest and repair. Their morale is a shocking 11[X(], but their sacrifice so far wasn't in vain.

The Allies bomb Vientiane heavily with Mitchells, the ground troops there. Thanks to the forts almost no damage is incurred. The rear bases are well held and paratroop proof for now.

Exciting days! The shock attack at Uttaradit reaped huge psychological effects on the Allies I think, which was one of the motives for issuing it. Destroying a hundred combat squads just icing on the cake, but I think it saved the Troops at Bangkok/Ayuthia. I am glad I didn't go wobbly (thanks Alfred!).

The weakness of the Vinh line is Haiphong and Pakhoi. Pakhoi has a full, experienced IJA Division, while Haiphong has the old French coastal batteries and some Militia. Soon though they will get reinforcements from the front...worn out units needing r&r. Army HQs will provide a boost in recovery.
Attachments
bangkok.jpg
bangkok.jpg (577.94 KiB) Viewed 45 times

Return to “After Action Reports”