Pulling my hair out!

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dr.hal

Pulling my hair out!

Post by dr.hal »

I've tried to update to the latest patch, 1.01.24 and I've completely messed up the whole installation. I uninstalled the program that I've had on my computer since 2012 and reinstalled from the beginning (original disk) and put it all in a matrix folder on the hard drive. I've downloaded the patch and extracted it inside the main game folder and "installed" the patch. I then put into the shortcut "properties" -px1920 -py1080 so it will play on my expanded screen and when I launch the program, there is NO expansion AND the version that is running is not March 2015 but V 1.7.1124 December 25 2014. What am I doing wrong with both the version and the x/y axis???? I can't seem to get anything done right here (and yes I did hit "apply" in the properties pop up. Can anyone give me a hand? Again WITP AE has run on this computer for YEARS with no problems...NOW, however.... Thanks. Hal
witpqs

RE: Pulling my hair out!

Post by witpqs »

OK, two ways. First, look at the various recent threads on people upgrading to Win10 (I know you did n't upgrade) because those threads have lots of examples of correct lines with switches for the Target box in your shortcut.

The other way is post things here. Post the entire contents of the Target box in your shortcut. Post the entire contents of the Start in box in your shortcut. Post also a screen pic of that Properties pop-up of your shortcut.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks witpqs, I'll get on that tomorrow.... I'm a bit done in for tonight.... Hal
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Actually I will give you this tonight:

My target text is: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -px1920 -py1080

My start in is: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"

So do I need to get rid of the "\autorun.exe" from the target text?????

Hal
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Here is a post I made in another thread that covers it (I've typed the same thing so many times... [:D])

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

ORIGINAL: avers246

I don't have any switches in and my problem is that when I try to move around the map with my mouse, or click on things, there is a HUGE delay.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe"

That is usually cured with -dd_sw switch.
avers246,

You have multiple problems. First of all, do NOT reference "autorun.exe". Instead that part should be should be "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe".

In other words, this:

should be this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

Second, as Sardaukar notes, you might need the -dd_sw switch.
And/or you might need the -SingleCpuOrders switch.
And/or you might need the -deepColor switch.
Now I do not know if you will have other problems or not, but referencing autorun.exe is a problem. AFAIK is will not pass along to the game (War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe) any of the switches that you specify. So that's the first thing to try.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Sorry to have you post this so often....

You have multiple problems. First of all, do NOT reference "autorun.exe". Instead that part should be should be "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe".

In other words, this:

should be this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

Now I do not know if you will have other problems or not, but referencing autorun.exe is a problem. AFAIK is will not pass along to the game (War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe) any of the switches that you specify. So that's the first thing to try.
[/quote]

Ok I changed the target line to "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Addition.exe" and it won't even go into the game, I get this popup: The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

So this is not working at all....

My start box still reads the same: C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition

This start box is pointing to the game folder so that is accurate.

Hal
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

dr.hal,

You should be trying to do this to your quickstart.

1.  Your "Start" button (windows logo, bottom of desktop screen), should have a "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition (quick start)".
2.  Right click on "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition (quick start)"
3.  Click on the "properties" of the quick start
4.  Apply the desired switches.

Alfred
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Hi Alfred, long time no hear from, I trust all is well.

I did as you suggested, this is my Target line "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080

I still get the same popup....
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Hi Alfred, long time no hear from, I trust all is well.

I did as you suggested, this is my Target line "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080

I still get the same popup....

Remove the possessive after the third back slash.

Alfred
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Sorry to have you post this so often....
No sweat - just means I am cutting and pasting more vigorously than usual! [:D]

In other words, this:

should be this:

Ok I changed the target line to "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Addition.exe" and it won't even go into the game, I get this popup: The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

So this is not working at all....

My start box still reads the same: C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition

This start box is pointing to the game folder so that is accurate.

Hal

[/quote]
Hal,

Recommend getting a set of clippers with a .5 mm guide like I did. Saves money on haircuts and makes hair pulling impossible. [:)]

You entered the line wrong. I'll break it down. Here is what you just said you entered:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Addition.exe"

But what you need is:
Looks like I'm repeating myself in that string, right? Here is the breakdown:
The part in bold above is the path to where the file is located.
The part in bold above is the name of the file.

Now you can see that you inadvertently chopped off part of the path, so the system looked in the wrong place for the file. First thing is fix that. Then, when you have that good, let's work on getting you the right switches.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Hal,

Notice in my previous post that the name of the file does NOT include 's just before the word Edition. That is what Alfred is referring to.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I am amazed that you have any hair left to pull out.[;)] I don't after playing this game for a couple of years.[:D]

Remember, computers make you life easier.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Well I have an exceedingly fast receding hairline right now.....
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Witpqs...Alfred,

Thanks, that worked and sorry about the "Addition" vice the "Edition", I had it right on the computer but didn't have it right in my note to you.

Second.... IT WORKED, at least now I've got it launched and it is displaying at the proper x/y positions (px1920,py1080) but it still reads V.1.7.1124 Dec 25 2014 and when I try to update to the March 15 patch, it states that it is already installed? I feel like a complete dunderhead, what am I doing wrong here now?????? I put the zip file into the patch folder within the game and unzipped it and opened the program.... but NADA!!!! Sorry for all of this. I do have a chap waiting in Japan for my move...... ugh. Hal
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Hold on, the readme file says that the patch shows the game will read 1.7.11.24 Dec 25 2014.... that this is the update, so the update DID work, it will not read March 2015, do I have that right now????
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Hold on, the readme file says that the patch shows the game will read 1.7.11.24 Dec 25 2014.... that this is the update, so the update DID work, it will not read March 2015, do I have that right now????
I'm not sure, because I have not installed the latest official. Michael said the latest Beta is the latest official, so I haven't bothered to install yet. I will when current games wind down or if new Betas start coming out (meaning I will install latest official + newer Betas).

Here is the thing. If you are pointing to the main folder and not the Beta folder, then you are getting the .exe there and not any .exe in the Beta folder. So it makes sense that you do have latest official running.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yes I believe I am. I have also installed the DBBs scen 28 and extended map. HOWEVER, there is not the simple problem that the game does NOT allow me to play... for example, if I try to play any of the grand campaigns, including 28, then the first move, before ANYTHING is done by me, saves the game to slot #2 and then starts playing (if I'm in "PBEM" mode, it asks for a password and THEN starts immediately playing). In the short scenarios, no problem, but in the grand ones, it is ALL askew! Any guesses???? I did the simple swopout for the data and maps for scen 28 and that's all...not sure what's going on, I would hate to have to uninstall and do it all over again! Hal

PS I've never had a problem with this game before, and I'm using the same computer...not sure what's going on.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Totally guessing:

1) You have "Historical First Turn" selected.

2) You do not have PBM selected (ie AI is paying one or both sides).

I'm betting #1. When you reinstall all those switches and options that you made be the way you want them - maybe 1,000 years ago [:D] - are set back to default and I for one never even remember them all and have to hunt them down one by one.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yup!!!! I realized that AFTER I reloaded everything...ugh. Thanks for your help witpqs, you are my hero. I greatly appreciate it and so will my opponent. Thanks again. Hal

Return to “Tech Support”