GD1938 GAME 16

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

ironduke1955

RE: GD1938 GAME 16

Post by ironduke1955 »

Sorry Winston we would CC you in on STAVKA meetings but you have dubious allies, and the Soviet Union and Great Britain are allies but not bestie's.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (75.02 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Nice!
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

The Soviet Pacific fleet begins to take shape with only the latest ships and planes.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

falco148

Post by falco148 »

To my opponents.....guys, I'm moving to Sydney, Australia this weekend (20th), so I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I'm not sure for how long but hopefully it wont be longer
than a week.

To all those that have gone through this experience of moving house before, you have my condolences. I don't think I've been so exhausted in all my life. Just when you think you've
got everything done and ready, something else comes up that needs to be taken care of. This process continues and continues and continues.......
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Will be on holidays for two weeks.

@ all: Have a nice time.
@ Falco: Hope you will get most things of moving house done soon and be able to enjoy your new place.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

ORIGINAL: falco

To my opponents.....guys, I'm moving to Sydney, Australia this weekend (20th), so I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I'm not sure for how long but hopefully it wont be longer
than a week.

To all those that have gone through this experience of moving house before, you have my condolences. I don't think I've been so exhausted in all my life. Just when you think you've
got everything done and ready, something else comes up that needs to be taken care of. This process continues and continues and continues.......

Interesting. I lived in 38 different states before my 18th birthday. (Dad worked for the government and every time he got a "new" project or promotion we had to move.)
So I got used to moving a lot. After a while you get to the point where you expect to move every few years. Took a while to get over that feeling.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Hi guys......sorry for the long delay. Had family issues and things to deal with when I arrived here.

Should be back up and returning files by Monday or Tuesday when internet issues get sorted out.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Opps......double post
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Back in action after some very nice holidays in Ireland.

German turn is done and saved at dropbox. Thanks for your patience.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Guys, how do you feel about this game?

I could stand to let peace reign!

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Tend to agree unless someone has a game breaking strategy in the pipeline. The Soviets are simply watching for events to unfold if there are no events planned then its going to be a long and dull wait. Though it is kind of fun building a modern Soviet armed forces.

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

As long as the British stay on the fence and the Soviets support Germany we are going no where.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Ok just need to hear from jeff and Larry then put this game to bed, thanks to Chuck Juergen Daniel Larry and not least Jeff a fun game, if not a some what unusual game of GD1938.

LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I must admit it is kind of boring to be limited to my home islands. And to a very limited ability to expand production and resources.
So if everyone thinks the game is done we can end it.
This leaves me only one GD1938 game...and I am not in any other games...(except testing out my own scenario--bug killing is a b4453ch...especially since some of the bugs happen in the later turns and that means any corrections must be tested from the start of the game.)
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

(except testing out my own scenario--bug killing is a b4453ch...especially since some of the bugs happen in the later turns and that means any corrections must be tested from the start of the game.)

I know EXACTLY how that feels :/
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I could stand to let peace reign!

Chuck

Why do you play a wargame when you want to fight?

Yes, this game is boring. It is while most participants sit in their edges and do anything to avoid fighting.

It was a mistake to agree in peace between Britain and Germany. But when I wanted to break peace and sent an announcement to Britain (as I thought a warning would be fair), it was you, Chuck, who complained and claimed you had fulfilled all appointments we made. So I did not restart fighting in order not to break my word. But I dont see why you refuse to fight. Your position is quite good. You have half of France and nearly all of Spain in your hands. And USA is at war with Germany and might support you.

Germany and SU dont fight each other. Thats an advantage for me, as Twotribes mentioned. But Britain, France, and USA should be strong enough to fight anyway. Mainly as there is no war in Pacific and USA can concentrate on war in Europe. However, not only Britain, but USA as well refuses to fight. No US destroyers in the Atlantic. No landing in Europe to support Britain. In other games US players complained they had to wait too long til USA is able to join war. Here it was involved very early - but US player hides somewhere in his cities. What is the sense in this?

However, for about 15 turns now I prepare an attack on USA to get something going here. It is not that easy as German player to challenge USA. So I was thinking how it would be possible to force USA to move. Now that I am close to get my plans runing (no idea whether they would be succesful) you intend to quit.

Cannt tell anything about the situation of Japan, But as far I see there is no interest in fighting anyway.

Well, this game was really a waste of time. Why dont you guys play something like Anno, Civ5 or other great games where you can look for welfare instead of warfare?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Why do you play a wargame when you want to fight?

I asked how the players felt. I am perfectly ready to continue. I believe I have had a dust-up or two with you in other games, and this one too.
But when I wanted to break peace and sent an announcement to Britain (as I thought a warning would be fair), it was you, Chuck, who complained and claimed you had fulfilled all appointments we made.

In your message you stated that the Americans would use bases in Great Britain to attack you. I pointed out that I had not given you a casus belli for war, and that the USA was not allied so bases were not possible, but I don't believe Hitler was known for listening to British PM's "complaints".
Germany and SU dont fight each other. Thats an advantage for me, as Twotribes mentioned.

If I was to declare war on you the USSR would be involved at once.

There is a button you can push to declare war - use it. Want some warfare do you - declare war on the Soviet Union - same button - use it. Bring it on Herr Hitler.

Up to you now, I sent my turn forward.

Winston
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Yes I was kind of prepping for the war as described, but in my calculations it will not end well for the British, Chuck may beg to differ and he may be right to do so. The Soviets are highly unlikely to side with a western alliance with the US included, can't fight a war with a nation then join hands a year or two later. Though upon reflection you do see what the USA were trying to achieve preventing a Soviet far east victory, that's not how the war panned out, but if that was the reason for Soviet involvement then it was the right thing to do from a US point of view. The US would have been better off just defending the one Japanese city the Soviets need for victory.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

A war with the Soviet Union is a nightmare for the British. A war with Germany, Italy and the Soviet Union is a "Surrender, and get it over with" situation.

Seeing Soviet troops in Turkey I realized I had to find some way to defend the Empire from the Soviets. On Turn 34 I began peace negotiations with Germany. At the time I held a good bit of western Europe, including Paris and Brussels. Because I had to address the Soviet threat I gave up a lot for a stable peace with Germany. I did not want war with the USSR, no sane Briton does, but I wanted to make it a thinker for Tom.

I think this game just does not work if Germany and the USSR are allies. I believe Ernie agrees with this point of view. However Ernie did not make it impossible, and players realized that it was very good for both the USSR and Germany not to let Nazi/Communist politics stop them from winning this game. My British took a path they felt they had to. I hated to give up my fight in western Europe.

After the game is over I will discuss another very important consideration for the British, which I can not reveal now.

Chuck
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Two reasons Japan has done very little.
1. No resources (don't have enough to even keep my weakened fleet and air units operational) and/or
2. Not enough production so can't fight anyone in area...(I have to use all my production to produce PP so I can advance my technology and build chemical factories).

But the USA has proven to be a very good neighbor. If they request I might (very likely) join them in any war they become involved in. However, at this time I'd probably be more a drain on their activities than a help.

Return to “After Action Reports”