Research Unleashed - Version 2.2

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

CyclopsSlayer

RE: Research Unleashed

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I make the Improved Planetary Scanners a priority, the scouts seem to do a better job finishing a system when they don't have to get right on top of every feature in the system.
B1ackwolf

Post by B1ackwolf »

hi osito, i want to use my first post in the forum to congratulate your work with this mod, i tried Haree78 and icemania mods too and the work you all guys made is completely awesome, so i want to show you my apreciation with a few graphic modification i made,

-i added custom and (better i think) ehxaust animation made with PS (i just use the "BUSH" pencil tool and i have to say it looks a bit better.
-i created new resource images for adamantium and uranium (sadly, this isnt even at the level of Das work, but at least it gives you a better fitting images wich continues the same color marking and stuff)
-also because most players are using Sirian Eve MOD icons for components, i notice that new tecnology lacks this icons, so i found and reeplaced them with other icons (from Sirian work too) wich i think fits better with the component (if the component is a missile...then the component looks like kind of missile and so on), so if you want you can add them too.

so im new to the forums and i dont know how attach items (and i have to wait until i can post links..so im kind of trapped here, if you want i can send you the file via PM so you can check them and see if they are worthy to be used xD).

With nothing else to say i wish you my best regards and hope to see what new work you have in mind, thanks compadre and see ya later!

ps sorry my lame english >_>.
Attachments
changes.jpg
changes.jpg (686.3 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Osito

Post by Osito »

Hi Blackwolf,

Thanks for the comments. I like your new icons for adamantium and uranium and would be happy to use them. I'd also like to try out your exhaust animations to see how they look. Is there anywhere I can download them from?

Regarding the Sirian-based icons, I've steered away from using those at present, although it would be nice to have a set available to replace my icons, for those who prefer them.

Finally, I am working on another update, which I hope to release next week. Where possible, it will address some of the concerns raised in posts above. I also hope to address the hab module issue, so that those who prefer to stick to the vanilla hab modules (to retain boarding defense) will be able to do so, while those who prefer to have larger hab modules (to reduce the number of modules needed) can do that instead. I just need to make sure the AI always picks the first option. There'll be a few other changes too.

Osito
Osito
B1ackwolf

Post by B1ackwolf »

cool, im thrilled to see the new changes, and again as i said before, because im a newbiee i cant post anything, but i send you a PM, glad to help.
joshbm

Post by joshbm »

Good to hear your working on a new update. This is a great mod and I look forward to playing the updated version.
B1ackwolf

Post by B1ackwolf »

hi osito, im trying to send you the file, but when i do it says it was sent normally, but when i check my inbox, there is not any pm saved in the "sent" folder, so im not sure if you got it.

ps,just by curiosity.. do you speak spanish?
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

The way pirates are handled now has the knock-on effect of "pirate" variants of the races having independent colonies now, and this leaving the possibility of those colonies becoming empires where they probably weren't intended to, especially on the largest maps. I know why you implemented this, but it's pretty weird. I think to reduce the amount that this happens, you should condense the pirate races into one race for each race family (I.E Insectoid Pirates, Reptilian Pirates, etc), with access to all or most of the unique techs of the races of that family. If you implemented the latter half of that, I think pirates would get OP as hell, but I think they need as many advantages as possible late and mid-game when the landed empires have crept up on them in strength.
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Yeah, I have seen that happening. It doesn't bother me personally, because there is a game mechanic for pirates to become empires. Having said that, I will think about whether I can find a way to stop it occurring. There are now a few things I need to deal with in this mod.

Osito
Osito
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

The mechanic is there, but the actual behaviour of a pirate kingdom in empire mode is different to the way standard empires function, and the reformed independents would be a standard empire if they changed over naturally. It's not that big of a deal, but when I'm playing as the Dhayuts and I can't peacefully colonise an independent planet because the race there is "Dhayut Pirates", it's just weird to me. It's also sorta jarring to see "Dhayut" and "Dhayut Pirates" cluttering up a planet's population screen.

If you implemented my suggestion you could make it look less odd by using "Minor Insectoids' "Minor Reptilians" instead of "Insectoid Pirates" or "Reptilian Pirates". Since you don't even see the race of pirate factions anyway, you could actually eliminate the problem, and still use your workaround for it being impossible to set techs to "pirate only", whilst possibly also adding a feature to your mod depending on how people look at it.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Yes, the more I think about your suggestion, the more I like it. Thanks for the input.
Osito
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

You're welcome! Your mod's been one of my favourites for awhile now. I only just got the chance to try the most recent version of it a few days ago and that was the only problem I could think of with it (aside from the Extended races, but that's not your fault), so well done!
SirFinbar

Post by SirFinbar »

Hi everyone! Seeing as this seems to be the new, innovation focused thread of Distant Worlds modding, I have a question:

Does Icemania's AI Improvement Mod alter individual race's 'Empire Policy' settings?
Osito

Post by Osito »

You might also post this question in Icemania's AI Improvement Mod thread for a quicker reply. Although, as Icemania is a moderator, he may well see this question and reply to it.

In my own mod, I adopted most of Icemania's mod, but I did adjust some things in the research.txt file (because that is what my mod is really focused on), and I did keep Haree's racebiases, because I felt he had good reasons for doing things the way he did. Also, I didn't include Icemania's tech progression for each race, because it wasn't possible without a lot of extra work, but there is a 'lite' version of it, which I may extend eventually.

Ultimately, I wanted to include as much of Icemania's mod as I could, but my goal was not quite the same. Icemania (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) wants a challenging 'killer' AI, and I respect that goal. But I'm more interested in story telling, and I'm prepared to forgive the AI many mistakes in order to achieve my own goal.
Osito
SirFinbar

Post by SirFinbar »

Ah, I see. So if I install this mod; I get the cool tech improvements and expansions, but lose the optimised AI ship designs?

How would you summarise the differences between Hare's and Icemania's racial biases?
Osito

Post by Osito »

No, Icemania's ship designs are still there.

Icemania's mod was the starting point for my own mod. So the first stage my own process (which resulted in Research Unleashed version 1) was this:

1. Start with Icemania's files as the default files (including the Icemania's research.txt).
2. Amend the research file to create the research tree I wanted.
3. Some adjustments to some weapon values, mostly around changing the speed of beam weapons to make them faster.
4. Amend other files to take into account changes to research.txt (such as components.txt, because there were new components, etc.)
5. Take out Icemania's research build order in each of the individual races file, because my changes to research.txt meant that my tech numbers no longer matched Icemania's.

Stage 2 resulted in Research Unleashed 2, which involved:

1. Adding in Haree's extended races along with his techs for the extended races (modified, in some instances, to fit my own tree), but based on Icemania's mod of Haree's mod.
2. Notwithstanding point 1, I chose to keep Haree's racebiases file, rather than Icemania's.
3. Added back in some limited research build orders for each race, mostly to ensure that each race at least researches its special tech in the early stages of the game.

As for other matters, such as policies, ship designs, etc., those are all Icemania's.

Hope this helps.

Osito
Osito
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

A question.

High-Tech research line. The Hab modules and Life support, is there some hidden advantage to the so-called upgrades?

Enhanced Hab Module - size 2, energy 1, support 100
Hab Complex - size 6, energy 3, support 180
Enh Hab Complex - size 6, energy 3, support 200
Hab Megaplex - size 10, energy 5, support 300
Integrated - size 10, energy 5, support 500

At no point do I see the Complexes or Megaplex as any sort of upgrade.
The option to place a single Megaplex and support 300, or 5 Enh Hab Mods, Same size, Same energy, but the Enh Hab supports 500, and is more ship defense as it is 5 systems to destroy versus 1.
The final top of the line version is merely equal to what the player already some 39.24 Million RP earlier?

Life Support follows the same pattern.

Less resource cost maybe, but if sufficient resources exist the improved version are actually significant downgrades.
Osito

Post by Osito »

My goal here was to reduce the number of modules needed, rather than improve them. However, it was an oversight on my part to delete the previous tech branch. What I want to have is one branch like the original branch, and another branch like the new one. I agree that there should be an improvement, too.

So, yes, I agree with you. It's not quite what I intended, and I need to fix it.

Osito
Osito
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Greetings All!

I have been having a problem actually playing 2.01 (or the other two prior versions). Every time I load the game I only have the original 20 races, no expanded tech tree, and no Das Chrome!?! As near as I can tell, even though the screen shows 2.01 loaded, it is the vanilla game I'm playing.

I have been in contact with Osito via PM several times, and Osito suggested I approach the thread readers to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I will attempt to explain what I did:
1. I downloaded 2.01, unzipped it and placed it into the Customization folder for DW-U in my Matrix Games folder on my C drive (as I have for other mods).
2. Opened the game and selected 2.01 in the Change Themes screen.
3. Selected play a new game.
4. Selected Custom Game (I've never played any other way).
5. Go through game set up, and when I reach Choose Race screen all that shows up are the original 20 races.

I've even played the game from this point to see if anyone else shows up-they don't. In that game the tech tree is the original, and no Das Chrome resources. I've opened the 2.01 folder and all the extra races are there in various folders inside the mod folder.

I have done a complete uninstall/re-install of DW-U, twice. The last install I stayed with my earliest version of DW-U (v1950). I've downloaded 2.01 twice, too. Happens with both downloads of the mod. I've even revived my Steam account to only have the same results.

Nuances:
1. I do not play from the Pre-Warp start. I begin one level above. Yes, I tried Pre-Warp start with the same results.
2. I was playing Haree78's Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 prior to this.
3. The map was generated by the game and I have not combined any other mod(s) with this one.
4. Even though I thought I have done a complete uninstall, I'm not sure it actually happened. I deleted the Distant Worlds folder completely from the Matrix Games folder on C, then uninstalled the game via Control Panel-Remove Programs, and I still had the same settings for each and every Custom game I started (700 stars, 15x15, Normal, few space creatures, etc.). I would think with a clean uninstall and re-install those settings would not remain.

I think that's about it. I'm pretty sure I didn't do something correctly (wouldn't be the first time). I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Huge Thanks!!

Uncle Lumpy
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

To get some mods to load correctly you have to exit the game completely after the initial load dumps you back to the main menu then restart before you try to load a savegame or start a new game.

Pretty nice mod with the expanded research though the end game techs can be somewhat op in the human player's hands like the tachyon torps, warpgate drives and subspace variations of several techs.

This is cool though as I always seed my universes with plenty of empires who instinctively dislike my racial type and are hard to keep passive even with abuse of the diplomacy mechanics and its always a fun race to get to them first.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

I started using the Mod not too long ago, haven't completed a game yet, but I think there is something off with the mod, in the galaxy generation department, in the three galaxies I generated to play this mod, all three had a large number of resource-less or low resource planets and low amount of garden worlds (well Terran worlds), in vanilla using the same configurations for custom game I was getting at least a dozen of garden worlds.

Not sure if it is intended, or if it is a feature, but I think the additional elements could have messed up the resource distribution somehow.

Also, I am having some issues with money flows, it fluctuates too much and, this could be me being a bit rusty, but at the same difficulties in vanilla I was having a considerable overflow of cash, this is tied up with the larger suggestions of scout construction by the AI, actually with 30 scouts in the field I am spending in maintenance more than the rest of my forces combined (admittedly I have a small navy so far and I made rather expensive scouts without considering the number of scouts in the field) I am worried that this could be also affecting the AI empires, i know that in vanilla there is little focus on exploration by the AI, but It is possible the new settings have gone too far the other way and might turn into a weight around the AI's metaphorical neck

Return to “Design and Modding”