Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Turnaround? Lowpe (J) vs Tiemanj (A) Stock

Post by Lowpe »

April 5th, 1944

Allies bombard and land more troops at Etorofu...the bombardments don't seem that effective versus level 5 forts, and we have some big Daddies there...28cm howitzers. They continue to have 0 disurption, 2 fatigue, and none disabled. What can they do to stop the Australians supported by tanks?

No night attacks. Subs are surging into the Straits, and there isn't much to stop them....

Attachments
losses.jpg
losses.jpg (336.2 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Over in the clear terrain, the Japanese troops and vehicles and guns are simply sitting ducks for the massed power of Allied bombers...wave after wave. The AA puts up a valiant fight, but they are just overwhelmed...will the Allies attack.

Silly question, of course.[X(]

Attachments
bombing.jpg
bombing.jpg (340.03 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The Commonwealth attacks....they outnumber the Japanese, are tired from their march thru the jungles, but they think the Japanese are in worse shape.

But from somewhere, deep down, each Japanese soldier does his duty despite the horrendous bombing, and they stall the attackers. For today. What will tomorrow bring?

Death.[X(]

Attachments
hexofdeath.jpg
hexofdeath.jpg (157.57 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The Allies sweep and bomb both Gifu and Osaka. The heavies go to Osaka. CAP is somewhat split, and we manage to drop the first B29 today in A2A, by a Zeke no less.

Several messages about the Zekes being unable to catch the fighters.

Radar warning was pitiful today...and Osaka burns.

Later, a large cooperative sweep of 76 Jugs flies over Osaka. Ugly.

Attachments
b29.jpg
b29.jpg (236.4 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Plane losses for the day. Not inflicting enough losses on him.

Attachments
losses.jpg
losses.jpg (201.95 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

At Etorofu, the forts stand despite the shelling from the Pennsylvania and company, and then the Aussies are charging....

Attachments
etorofu.jpg
etorofu.jpg (325.25 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Bangkok...

The rear guard, 35 AV of RTA cavalry get chased from Pisanuloke.

Attachments
bangkok.jpg
bangkok.jpg (516.77 KiB) Viewed 47 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I wonder how the air war would turn out if the Allies had a limited number of 75 plane fighter groups (FG) vs the 3 x 25 fighter squadrons (FS) they get now??
[center]Image[/center]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I wonder how the air war would turn out if the Allies had a limited number of 75 plane fighter groups (FG) vs the 3 x 25 fighter squadrons (FS) they get now??

Geesh, you want to be even stronger!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

When playing the Allies I really hated the 75-plane fighter groups that could not be split (a later rendition of the WITP scenarios allowed them to be split) because of the airfield stacking limitations. It wound up preventing the Allies (USA at least) from even having fighters at some locations.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Turn is done and away.

I expect it will be ugly on the clear hex of death NW of Bangkok. I am building up the Vinh line, some heavy, heavy artillery arriving there, two infantry divisions, lots of support troops.

I will make a show at defending the Bangkok line, but it really isn't going to be much more than that. I need to minimize my troop losses and defend in a better area, and that means the Vinh line.

A lightly defended convoy is at Badelboab loading up, not detected today. Getting ready to load another convoy at Manila with support troops, the first one is east of Formosa making for Shanghai.

Allied BBs off the northern tip of Sumatra. Carriers to the north of them. Looks grim, making an effort to retreat even more units from the perimeter.

Engines are getting critical. 2 months left of the HA 45 engine, only produced 4 yesterday. Tony, Judy and Myojo engines are out...can only afford to make Tonies every day, and Judies every other day. Jack production still climbing and I converted the first J2M3 squadron today -- but it is no wonder plane.

I will probably shift a fair number of night fighters to deep area defense and keep only a skeleton group up front.

I completed a 8K tanker yesterday, it will go to Fusan. Even though I shouldn't, I still like making ships even merchant ships.[;)]

Working on the Tushima straits minefields, loading up a convoy of 100K fuel at Fusan for Honshu. Not sure I have to do anything after that arrives.

Allies past 17K strategic VP from the Osaka burning of yesterday. I figure he will ultimately get 40K+.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Since I started playing in Ubuntu, I haven't gotten Tracker working yet. Haven't tried to be honest.

I did upgrade to the latest Ubuntu LTS -- 14.04. I have played around with the screen shot programs and paint programs.

Anyhow, here is a picture of my vehicle factories. I don't even want to look at how many vehicles I need, especially trucks.[:(] A bombing campaign here would definitely hurt, and I see the loss of motorized support having multiple bad effects...and no trucks in artillery makes them very brittle, although they don't seem to slow down any. Go figure.

Who knows what the 90-rd means?

Attachments
vehicles.jpg
vehicles.jpg (180.39 KiB) Viewed 47 times
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Since I started playing in Ubuntu, I haven't gotten Tracker working yet. Haven't tried to be honest.

I did upgrade to the latest Ubuntu LTS -- 14.04. I have played around with the screen shot programs and paint programs.

Anyhow, here is a picture of my vehicle factories. I don't even want to look at how many vehicles I need, especially trucks.[:(] A bombing campaign here would definitely hurt, and I see the loss of motorized support having multiple bad effects...and no trucks in artillery makes them very brittle, although they don't seem to slow down any. Go figure.

Who knows what the 90-rd means?

My understand is that it is the number of factories in research.
Pax
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Thanks, Pax! Ask a silly question,[:D] You are of course correct.

As you can see, not much left r&d. [:D][:D] But I am swimming in oil and fuel.

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the number of factories I turned off.

Taking Hokkaido, puts all of the scen1 engine factories within reach and I would recommend AFBs to pursue that strategy if they go Hokkaido, depending upon game circumstances.

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Taking Hokkaido, puts all of the scen1 engine factories within reach and I would recommend AFBs to
pursue that strategy if they go Hokkaido, depending upon game circumstances.

I think just picking one main component of the supply chain breeds success ... I might propose for example burning down cities burns up supply and no supply no drawing planes from the pool.
I am not a JFB so I don't know the optimum strategy given the probably of getting a factory hit vs. manpower/fires eating away supplies and damaging LI/(HI)

But I am sure spreading out the attacks to hit airplane factories one raid and then engines on another .. then manpower given that the IJ in the game have lots of aircraft and pilots is a sure strategy for disaster.
The IJ can eventually exhaust the Allies bomber pools (as well as fighters)
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Andav

Post by Andav »

Taking Hokkaido, puts all of the scen1 engine factories within reach and I would recommend AFBs to pursue that strategy if they go Hokkaido, depending upon game circumstances.

Shhhhhh!!!!! Stop talking about this!!!!!

Trust me AFB, as the Japanese, we care nothing about engines. Nope. Not a bit. They are dead to us. Now Merchant Ship yards on the other hand, we absolutely care about those. Please don't bomb those. The war effort in 1945 could not go on without them. I sure hope this secret does not get out. [8D]

I am also living through the death hex north of Bangkok. I feel your pain.

Wa
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Andav

Shhhhhh!!!!! Stop talking about this!!!!!

Trust me AFB, as the Japanese, we care nothing about engines. Nope. Not a bit. They are dead to us. Now Merchant Ship yards on the other hand, we absolutely care about those. Please don't bomb those. The war effort in 1945 could not go on without them. I sure hope this secret does not get out. [8D]

I am also living through the death hex north of Bangkok. I feel your pain.

Wa

Too true, only go after engines after the merchant ship factories are gone. Well, not even then.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces
Taking Hokkaido, puts all of the scen1 engine factories within reach and I would recommend AFBs to
pursue that strategy if they go Hokkaido, depending upon game circumstances.

I think just picking one main component of the supply chain breeds success ... I might propose for example burning down cities burns up supply and no supply no drawing planes from the pool.
I am not a JFB so I don't know the optimum strategy given the probably of getting a factory hit vs. manpower/fires eating away supplies and damaging LI/(HI)

But I am sure spreading out the attacks to hit airplane factories one raid and then engines on another .. then manpower given that the IJ in the game have lots of aircraft and pilots is a sure strategy for disaster.
The IJ can eventually exhaust the Allies bomber pools (as well as fighters)

I hope you are right. [:)] Jumping around sure is painful though, and I never manage to guess right with a couple of wandering sentai looking to trap him.

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Thanks, Pax! Ask a silly question,[:D] You are of course correct.

As you can see, not much left r&d. [:D][:D] But I am swimming in oil and fuel.

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the number of factories I turned off.

Which is why the Japanese player should plan to reinforce the Kuriles and Hokkaido from Dec 7th, or fight a delaying campaign in the Aleutians until such time as the Kuriles and Hokkiado are sufficently garrisoned.
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

Engines are getting critical. 2 months left of the HA 45 engine, only produced 4 yesterday. Tony, Judy and Myojo engines are out...can only afford to make Tonies every day, and Judies every other day. Jack production still climbing and I converted the first J2M3 squadron today -- but it is no wonder plane.

Actually, J2M3 is wonder fighter for me. I am keeping combat patrol at altitude 10-20K. With radar it allows to airborne part climb above incoming strike and get 2nd and 3rd wave join fight fast and create numbers superiority. N1K2-J is better dog-fighter but need more time to get airborne and join combat.

Return to “After Action Reports”