Windows 10 due - now

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

RE: Windows 10 due next month

Post by Footslogger »

ORIGINAL: koniu

For all of those that want to upgrade trugh Windows Update and still don`t have upgrade available or have errors that block upgrade there is solution for that

This is fix for very common error 80240020(Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted), but if You dont have errors and just want to force upgrade - start from point two

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt (cmd) as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. (if not start automatically) Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

For me WITPAE run smoother than on 8.1, very close to Win 7 smoothness

Dziêkujê moim przyjacielem
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

but my tendency to ignore problems and let them lie has bitten me in the rear end again.

Don't feel like the lone stranger, I can relate to that.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

So I just checked and my Asus P5N-D motherboard has no Windows 10 Drivers. And my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card drivers said that they won't be available till September 2015: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... sid=126331

However, there are windows 10 drivers for my video card. What do I do?

JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

So I just checked and my Asus P5N-D motherboard has no Windows 10 Drivers. And my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card drivers said that they won't be available till September 2015: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... sid=126331

I would wait a few months if I were you. I have a laptop which I have upgraded but I will not upgrade my main machine until later on once DirectX 12 games becomes a thing.

There are still a few problems that needs to be sorted out with Windows 10, which will only become apparent now that millions of people are running Win 10.

I had to fudge around quite a bit with my laptop getting proper drivers and uninstalling old drivers and messing around in the registry to get everything running as smoothly as is possible right now. Doesn't bother me doing those things because I work in IT, but most people wouldn't want to go through with that.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

With several people asking questions, I don't have track of where you are in the process (sorry if you detailed it earlier).

A few thoughts. AFAIK Windows 10 has a very easy rollback process, where you go to the right option and tell it to roll back to your old OS. So if you have already upgraded to Windows 10 and are having problems you can't or aren't ready to solve otherwise, you can roll back. I've read and heard various tech journalists test that and supposedly it works without any fuss.

If you have not upgraded yet and you want to try instead of waiting for drivers, you could just try the Windows 10 upgrade. The generic drivers might work fine. Make sure you have a backup! Because anything can go wrong, even a rollback process, so just make sure you have a backup before you start. You should also have a list of the applications you have installed that you use. That way if the worst happens and you need that backup you will also have a checklist to use when reinstalling your applications.

My wife's laptop said the driver for the WiFi adapter did not support Windows 10 and I was not able to find any Windows 10 drivers on the card manufacturers website or on Dell's website. So we tried it anyway, reasoning (different than your case) that we could just add a cheap WiFi USB dongle if the internal one didn't work. But it has worked fine so far.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

I would wait a few months if I were you. I have a laptop which I have upgraded but I will not upgrade my main machine until later on once DirectX 12 games becomes a thing.

There are still a few problems that needs to be sorted out with Windows 10, which will only become apparent now that millions of people are running Win 10.

I had to fudge around quite a bit with my laptop getting proper drivers and uninstalling old drivers and messing around in the registry to get everything running as smoothly as is possible right now. Doesn't bother me doing those things because I work in IT, but most people wouldn't want to go through with that.
What did you have to mess with?
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Oh well. I have not even downloaded the windows 10 yet. I guess I'm too far in the queue, but yes I do plan to backup everything before I try. And as far as going into the registries as JiminyJickers aka "The Fonz" (I loved that show too.) said, I don't know how to do that. All I know is regedit and the I'm lost.

But yeah I will give it a try when I have plenty of time, incase I have to bring it to a shop to have the system reinstalled.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I'm a Windows developer and I still run Windows 7 on all my computers. I plan to keep using it until I need to upgrade.

I rarely use any Microsoft software before the first service pack comes out. It's too much of a headache otherwise.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
koniu

Post by koniu »

I am using Creative sound card that end official driver support with Windows 7.
On Windows 8.x i was using drivers modified to run on it. The same drivers work perfectly on 10. You always can try to install windows 8.1 sound drivers. Many people i saying that most of drivers will work. Only use compatibility mode when installing.
And as for motherboard i believe drivers for most are already included i Windows 10.

Windows 10 installer is checking if all devices and programs installed on PC are compatible with it. If something is not You will be warned before installation start. And You will have chose to continue or not

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

So I'm actually getting the download now from my windows update. My question is doing this through windows update, will it download and install or will it download and ask me if I want to install?
koniu

Post by koniu »

So I'm actually getting the download now from my windows update. My question is doing this through windows update, will it download and install or will it download and ask me if I want to install?

It will ask You first.

Even if You install it it will have option in setting to back to Older version. You have 30 days(from first installation) to back to old system. After that You stuck with 10
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I would not say 'stuck' [:)]

Compared to 8 and 7, I like 10 a whole lot better [:)] As long as you don't start using the Edge browser yet (which is the default). It does not support extensions (yet) so until then, I will still use IE [:)]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I like Chrome much better than IE.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

My touchpad didn't work as intended with the new drivers, couldn't scroll or do some other features. I had to change a setting in Registry to make it work as it used to.

Also trying to update some drivers produced an error message saying that it is already installed, I had to remove them from the Device Manager to enable me to install the Windows 10 drivers.

Had to re-index the search as it was not showing basic control panel controls or programs that were installed.

Nothing too major, but too much for most people to deal with. I think a couple of months of waiting will probably solve most of these problems.
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I would not say 'stuck' [:)]

Compared to 8 and 7, I like 10 a whole lot better [:)] As long as you don't start using the Edge browser yet (which is the default). It does not support extensions (yet) so until then, I will still use IE [:)]

IE is only in Pro version
Win 10 Home have only Edge but i need confirmation. I don`t using any, my weapon o chose is Firefox
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

My touchpad didn't work as intended with the new drivers, couldn't scroll or do some other features. I had to change a setting in Registry to make it work as it used to.

Also trying to update some drivers produced an error message saying that it is already installed, I had to remove them from the Device Manager to enable me to install the Windows 10 drivers.

Had to re-index the search as it was not showing basic control panel controls or programs that were installed.

Nothing too major, but too much for most people to deal with. I think a couple of months of waiting will probably solve most of these problems.

Probably ~100M+ devices upgrade to Windows 10 already, With so many passable configurations it is impassible to avoid problems. At this stage Internet community is rather positive about entire process.
Ok they will be problems but they are margin if we compare to how many devices is working without problem.

Personally i am impressed how good it is going. If i remember Microsoft is planing to upgrade 1 Bilion devices during first Year. Devices that many is 10+ year old.

PS. My brother in law have Laptop produced in 2005 and he just upgrade it from Windows 7(originally have XP). Everything is working.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I just upgraded to 10 this afternoon. WITP works exactly like before. Same goes for Tracker and Intel Monkey.

Interface will take some getting used to.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Mine worked fine... no problems at all.
rroberson

RE: Windows 10 due - now

Post by rroberson »

Upgraded to Windows 10 tonite...feeling like it was a mistake as WITP is now lagging like a beast....any tweaks that those who have successfully upgraded wanna throw my way?
witpqs

RE: Windows 10 due - now

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Upgraded to Windows 10 tonite...feeling like it was a mistake as WITP is now lagging like a beast....any tweaks that those who have successfully upgraded wanna throw my way?
Lots in several threads in tech support. Read a bunch of them about several switches to try, compatibility mode to try, and make sure your shortcut is addressing the game executable (that's "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe", NOT "autorun.exe").

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”