TOAW IV features

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Curtis Lemay

RE: TOAW IV features

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Bombur

The new naval features are welcomed, but....there will be accross the sea supply?

No. We also will lack ship-borne torpedoes, submarines, naval reaction, etc. Naval Warfare is a big topic. Hopefully, some of that will be possible down the road.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
there were many times more temporary airfields that the game can't model

...which leads me to this question - will players be able to build airfields?

No.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Don't we already have across the sea supply?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

there were many times more temporary airfields that the game can't model

...which leads me to this question - will players be able to build airfields?

No.

There is a way to do it. But then you might run into a problem with the formations limit. Think about it, is it really the airfields that you need or the units that represent airfield support?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Panzer War

Post by Panzer War »

Any possibility of getting a linked scenario/campaign system built in?

Or engineer’s ability to effect the terrain build rail ways, roads etc.? Not just build air fields?

MaxG

Post by MaxG »

Curtis,

The "Battlefield Time Stamp" feature is a very welcomed one, but it doesn't address the main issue with the turn's model in TOW.
In my view, the really frustrating "feature" of the current game is the fact that once control switches from Player1 to Player2 in Turn1, Player1 can not regain control of his forces until the new game-turn starts (Turn2).
This results in a loss of remaining movement points for Player1's force in Turn1, which is not a realistic modeling of the warfare operations.
The fix for this issue would be to allow multiple changes of control between the sides within the same game-turn.
After each "Combats Resolved" event the game should determine which side has an initiative using the "Avg Remaining Movement Points" calculation, and pass control to the side with highest one.
In this case the new game-turn should start only after both sides explicitly end their turns by clicking UI button "End Turn", that should be available in addition to UI button "Resolve All Combats".
In my view this change would be a tremendous improvement to TOW turn model.
Makes sense?
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Yes it makes sense - but it won't work - can you imagine how long it would take to run a turn??

"We-Go" is a good alternative, but doesn't wok with TOAW's combat system.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: MaxG

Curtis,

The "Battlefield Time Stamp" feature is a very welcomed one, but it doesn't address the main issue with the turn's model in TOW.
In my view, the really frustrating "feature" of the current game is the fact that once control switches from Player1 to Player2 in Turn1, Player1 can not regain control of his forces until the new game-turn starts (Turn2).
This results in a loss of remaining movement points for Player1's force in Turn1, which is not a realistic modeling of the warfare operations.
The fix for this issue would be to allow multiple changes of control between the sides within the same game-turn.
After each "Combats Resolved" event the game should determine which side has an initiative using the "Avg Remaining Movement Points" calculation, and pass control to the side with highest one.
In this case the new game-turn should start only after both sides explicitly end their turns by clicking UI button "End Turn", that should be available in addition to UI button "Resolve All Combats".
In my view this change would be a tremendous improvement to TOW turn model.
Makes sense?

As noted, that would be unworkable. But I would also disagree that early turn ending is unrealistic. "No plan survives contact with the enemy" as they say. Early turn ending provides the risk/reward aspect of trying to implement a ambitiously complex plan. Really crummy forces shouldn't be good at it and really good forces should be. What the above would do is guarantee that every force, no matter how crummy, can carry out operations with surgical precision.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Curtis Lemay:
early turn ending

IMO, it's ok, it adds an element of unpredictability to the game, but I'd make it more local, depending on the scen scale, let's call it, say, early formation action ending or early div action ending, and so on; it's a bit silly that a failure of one unit can actually affect the whole front...
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Curtis Lemay:
early turn ending

IMO, it's ok, it adds an element of unpredictability to the game, but I'd make it more local, depending on the scen scale, let's call it, say, early formation action ending or early div action ending, and so on; it's a bit silly that a failure of one unit can actually affect the whole front...

That's what the BTS system will affect. There will still be turn endings due to Force Proficiency Check failures, though. That's a different thing.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
geozero

Post by geozero »

Would be nice to see new features such as ability to overlay a map (much like WitW and WitE where the hex "tiles" lay over them, this provides the best and smoothest land/water contours while still being able to lay hexes over them (i.e. tiles). Also this feature in the editor would help scenario designers create maps by easily "painting" over real terrains, and could be a huge time saver as well as provide more accuracy.

Ability to change unit colors to 16million color palette was discussed somewhere I saw, but bringing it up again because I think that is a huge feature (one that I recommended back in the days of BF/CA design days). Also ability to create new unit types along with their respective symbols would be cool... perhaps the game ships with default unit type "slots" and then allows additional slots to be added.

Multiple "factions" or "sides" instead of just 2. This could allow more complex scenarios with neutrals, UN forces, and several warring factions/sides within a scenario.

A drag/drop method of creating scenario unit OOB's would be great if not already there... anyway.. a million ideas to throw out I am sure you are all busy.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
LOK32MK

Post by LOK32MK »

ORIGINAL: geozero

Would be nice to see new features such as ability to overlay a map (much like WitW and WitE where the hex "tiles" lay over them, this provides the best and smoothest land/water contours while still being able to lay hexes over them (i.e. tiles). Also this feature in the editor would help scenario designers create maps by easily "painting" over real terrains, and could be a huge time saver as well as provide more accuracy.

Multiple "factions" or "sides" instead of just 2. This could allow more complex scenarios with neutrals, UN forces, and several warring factions/sides within a scenario.

+1
if it's too difficult to do "Multiple factions" then perhaps more exclusion zones?
josant

Post by josant »

+1, I also support this, this would be wonderful
JA
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

ORIGINAL: Panzer War

+++!

This would be #1 on my list. With core units that can survive and gain experience from one scenario to the next.

Also a naval / air system that allowed patrol zones. So you could maybe select a collection of hexes for a group of naval units and when enemy units passed through it there would be a pct chance of contact depending on how large the patrol zone was.

Convoys.

SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

not #1 but definitely a very good idea - designers of current games have been ingenious and inventive in their attempts to work within the current limitations and much kudos to them....but let's make it better :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

+++!

This would be #1 on my list. With core units that can survive and gain experience from one scenario to the next.

I don't know... Smells like Panzer Corps...
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

+++!

You mean Panzer General
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

I see you're point. They would have that in common. But really? Panzer Corps? Not even on the same planet in terms of realism and depth.

Maybe the core units are a bad idea. But having say an entire WWII game played out in linked operational level scenarios is very appealing to me. And having your performance in one scenario affect which one you played next and possibly OOB's and timeline would be very cool.

Say for example you are playing the allies and as Poland you manage to hold out longer than historically happened and induce a few more casualties.

So the next scenario is an invasion of France but it starts two weeks later allowing the French to build a few more units and some of the German units are a bit depleted because of the struggle with Poland. This is just an example of course.

geozero

Post by geozero »

The Germans attacked France at their leisure... and the Allies had 5-6 months to prepare or do something in the west and did nothing... thus the "Phoney War". I really doubt the French would have built much even if the Germans had delayed their assault 2 weeks.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

The Germans attacked France at their leisure... and the Allies had 5-6 months to prepare or do something in the west and did nothing... thus the "Phoney War". I really doubt the French would have built much even if the Germans had delayed their assault 2 weeks.

OK bad example. But without getting into a debate about WWII history I think it would be cool to have linked scenarios where the result of one dictated the timeline, OOB and selection of the next. Instead of having each scenario in isolation with no real relationship to each other it would be cool to have an overall campaign consisting of linked scenarios.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”