a complete graphics and interface overhaul

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

rhinobones

RE: a complete graphics and interface overhaul

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

There was a sequel for Panzer General called Pacific General. I owned both of them and played
both of them so much I wore out my mouse.

In the 90's I wrote a series of Panzer General scenarios for the 1914 - 1916 time frame. I was able to edit the equipment files for unit characteristics but had no skills for editing graphics. A friend in France took my raw scenarios and added WWI unit graphics. His graphics were superb. A fellow in Prague did the magic to turn the scenarios into a PG campaign game. Their work resulted in a new, and exciting, PG game experience. Both of these Panzer General designers went on to design scenarios, graphics and campaigns for the Napoleon era. All of their work is superior.

Wore out you mouse playing PG! Woo!

Hope you did it playing the Panzer and Allied General games.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

This is the UI from the latest Lock 'n Load's Command Op 2. These windows, each of them displaying some specific data, can be dragged. Why not something as flexible as that?

source: http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads ... nges.1010/

edit: In fact, from what I read on the forum, if you happen to have two monitors, you can display the board (the main window) on one, and the data windows on the other one.
Attachments
co2.jpg
co2.jpg (166.42 KiB) Viewed 225 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

An effective UI needs to hide things that are seldom used while making the one used all the time easily available versus having every possible use always showing.

Whenever I lose faith in humanity, I think of this quote. Thanks for posting it Mr. Numdydar.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Thanks for that screenshot Freyr. It makes me look at one of those earlier ones from V4V. With V4V we had the choice to change the display to one category and that was limited to one side of the screen. In your screenshot it appears that all categories can be displayed at once all over the screen. From too little to too much, I think. I remember playing V4V and wishing I could display more than one category at a time, but then realized the game would not be playable like that. So for V4V it was a matter of determining a sequence that was playable. From your screenshot I suppose the same is true. I mean, there is no way you can play like that [the screen being filled with data dialogues].
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I mean, there is no way you can play like that [the screen being filled with data dialogues].

Not true sir, since the advent of two-monitor gaming. Speaking of which, a proper UI upgrade of TOAW should also include multi-monitor support.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I don't think the 3D view will disappear. But, at the same time, I don't think it will get any enhancement, either.

Perhaps there are miniature players out there that may be attracted to TOAW because of it. There support would benefit us all.

And the view can create some neat graphics:

Not speaking of the map but when I saw the armor and artillery I really thought I was looking at CS(in 3D mode). They are so close when compared.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
I mean, there is no way you can play like that [the screen being filled with data dialogues].

Not true sir, since the advent of two-monitor gaming. Speaking of which, a proper UI upgrade of TOAW should also include multi-monitor support.

I wonder what is more popular, two monitor gaming or gaming on hand held devices ? I suppose Matrix knows.

I've been two-monitoring editing for over 15 years, so it can't really be an advent.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

You're right. This screen simply shows what is possible with the new CommanOp2 engine, i.e. dragging the windows around and putting them where you like. When playing, you would probably hide most of these windows or display those you find useful at the moment. The picture simply shows the flexibility of the UI.

edit:

but think also of two monitors... as I said above if you have two, you can put all these windows on one screen with the main map on the other one
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I wonder what is more popular, two monitor gaming or gaming on hand held devices ? I suppose Matrix knows.

I've been two-monitoring editing for over 15 years, so it can't really be an advent.

I think that two monitor gaming and mobile gaming are on opposite ends of the gaming spectrum; I'm not sure which is more popular, but I certainly prefer the games that are best played on two monitors.

I'm probably behind the curve on this, but I've only really started finding games that I like that support multiple monitors in the last couple of years.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

As to the buttons:

I turned off the tool tips because it is annoying when the cursor is over the map. Yet with the tool tips off, I have trouble reading the description at the bottom of the screen. SO,

New idea:

When the cursor is over the buttons the tool tips are "ON". When the cursor is over the map the tool tips are "OFF".

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Actually, there is a new feature that allows us to remove the side panel so we can see more of the map.

Therefore extensive use of short cut keys is better than buttons.

There should be a short cut key for every button and a short cut key for every option - for example map zoom.

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I was searching for something in this thread and thought I would bump it as it dropped off the first page. To me, its an interesting re-read and may be an interesting read for anyone who hadn't seen it originally.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”