All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: European Championships

Post by Orm »

What I do not understand is why the players you consider rubbish are worth so much money.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

What I do not understand is why the players you consider rubbish are worth so much money.
warspite1

Everything is relative. For example we have lost about £3m on Capoue and about three times that on Paulinho.

If you had seen Paulinho last year for Spurs or at the World Cup for Brazil (where in one game he was substituted having touched the ball the least of any player (including one of the goalkeepers!)) then I am amazed we were able to get ANY fee at all.....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

The difference between male and female, football and rugby, is captured here. After watching it I realize that I need to watch more Rugby.

https://twitter.com/leugimfigueroa/stat ... 5958490112
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Good to see we are clearing out some of the dead wood and players who are no longer good enough [:)]

So far have dispensed with:

Capoue
Paulinho
Kaboul

Still more to go I hope - Soldado, Fazio, Stambouli, Adebayor.....

What do Liverpool fans think of the Sterling transfer saga?
warspite1

To paraphrase a famous naval aviator "scratch one Stambouli" [:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The World Cup Qualifying draw takes place today. Here are England's dream and nightmare draw scenarios:

England, Iceland, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova, Andorra - NICE [:)]

England, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Finland, Kazakhstan - Er.... not good [X(]

Let's hope the latter doesn't come to pass - that would be a tough ask...

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Norway, San Marino, Aserbadjan, Northern Ireland, Czech Republic and Germany.

Hopefully we will manage 2 wins, but I would not take it for granted, anyway, we are NOT going to the World Cup (nor do we deserve to)
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Oohhh that's a tough one for Norway.

England have got off lightly, avoiding the likes of Italy and France (although Scotland will be a derby and can NEVER be taken for granted). Scotland too will I suspect be not unhappy with this.

Group F: ENGLAND, Slovakia, SCOTLAND, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta

Wales look like they have a real chance of qualifying from Group D [:)]

Group D: WALES, Austria, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Moldova, Georgia

But I don't fancy Northern Ireland's much - same as Norway... [:(]

Group C: Germany, Czech Republic, NORTHERN IRELAND, Norway, Azerbaijan, San Marino

Looks like Group A is the Group of death.....

Group A: Netherlands, France, Sweden, Bulgaria, Belarus, Luxembourg

Orm

Post by Orm »

Sweden really need to stop playing "friendly" matches against good teams. It hurts our rating to much and hence gives us tougher opposition in the qualifications.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sweden really need to stop playing "friendly" matches against good teams. It hurts our rating to much and hence gives us tougher opposition in the qualifications.
warspite1

I didn't realise those meaningless rankings counted... I thought it was all done on co-efficients from previous World and European qualifying campaigns.

World Ranking positions are totally useless - and so unfair.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

warspite1

I didn't realise those meaningless rankings counted... I thought it was all done on co-efficients from previous World and European qualifying campaigns.

Friendlies count, but less so than "official" matches.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Oohhh that's a tough one for Norway.

Norway, San Marino, Luxembourg, Israel, Iceland, Malta
would have been though for Norway. We suck, easy as that [:D]

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: terje439

warspite1

That friendlies count less is, in my humble opinion, not entirely the truth. Losing matches hurt a lot. Even losing friendly matches. Beating weak teams in friendly matches gives more points than losing to great teams in World Cup matches. And getting draw results in difficult, important, away matches does not give you much more than winning a friendly match, at home, against a weaker team.

Playing a draw, away, against France in a World Cup Qualification match gives less points than winning, at home, in a friendly game against Albania.

----
----

For Example:

Sweden play two World Cup Qualification matches away against Germany and France and draws both those matches. Then Sweden sends their development squad to play two friendly matches away against Spain and Portugal and they loose both those matches.

Germany (1-1) 490 points, France (2-2) 451 points, Spain (3-2) 0 points, Portugal (1-0) 0 points -> Which would give Sweden 235 points ((490+451+0+0)/4).

Meanwhile Italy invites 4 weaker teams for a friendly tournament at their home field and win all 4 matches with 1-0.

Albania 487, Faeroe Islands 374, Cyprus 342, Estonia 350 -> Which would give Italy 388 points.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

That friendlies count less is, in my humble opinion, not entirely the truth. Losing matches hurt a lot. Even losing friendly matches. Beating weak teams in friendly matches gives more points than losing to great teams in World Cup matches. And getting draw results in difficult, important, away matches does not give you much more than winning a friendly match, at home, against a weaker team.

Playing a draw, away, against France in a World Cup Qualification match gives less points than winning, at home, in a friendly game against Albania.

----
----

For Example:

Sweden play two World Cup Qualification matches away against Germany and France and draws both those matches. Then Sweden sends their development squad to play two friendly matches away against Spain and Portugal and they loose both those matches.

Germany (1-1) 490 points, France (2-2) 451 points, Spain (3-2) 0 points, Portugal (1-0) 0 points -> Which would give Sweden 235 points ((490+451+0+0)/4).

Meanwhile Italy invites 4 weaker teams for a friendly tournament at their home field and win all 4 matches with 1-0.

Albania 487, Faeroe Islands 374, Cyprus 342, Estonia 350 -> Which would give Italy 388 points.

warspite1

What a cobblers scoring system....[:(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Good to see we are clearing out some of the dead wood and players who are no longer good enough [:)]

Capoue
Paulinho
Kaboul

warspite1

warspite1

...and now Vlad Chiriches is off and Adebayor likely (although I will believe that only when it's done).

Good stuff - keep clearing out the dead wood please [:)]

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Capoue
Paulinho
Kaboul

warspite1

warspite1

...and now Vlad Chiriches is off and Adebayor likely (although I will believe that only when it's done).

And "Super"-Mario told he is not wanted. Well spent use of the Suarez money...[8|]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

And "Super"-Mario told he is not wanted. Well spent use of the Suarez money...[8|]
warspite1

Spurs and Liverpool were obviously involved in their own little competition. I know, if we sell Suarez and you sell Bale, let's see who can make the biggest balls-up with any money we raise......

terje439

Post by terje439 »

warspite1

warspite1

Spurs and Liverpool were obviously involved in their own little competition. I know, if we sell Suarez and you sell Bale, let's see who can make the biggest balls-up with any money we raise......

Lampert gone, another one of the Suarez-money players...

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Lampert gone, another one of the Suarez-money players...
warspite1

Indeed - his dream move never really worked out for the guy. Shame but at least he can say he was a Liverpool and England player - and who would have thought that possible just a few years ago.

At least Liverpool have bought a striker to replace him (and a much better swap too) but Spurs do not seem to know what to do with their strikers or getting replacements. Adebayor still hangs around like a bad smell and Soldado can't seem to find a buyer. There's only a week to go!! unless we are going to wait for the transfer deadline with all the risks that entails.....[&:]

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Indeed - his dream move never really worked out for the guy. Shame but at least he can say he was a Liverpool and England player - and who would have thought that possible just a few years ago.

At least Liverpool have bought a striker to replace him (and a much better swap too) but Spurs do not seem to know what to do with their strikers or getting replacements. Adebayor still hangs around like a bad smell and Soldado can't seem to find a buyer. There's only a week to go!! unless we are going to wait for the transfer deadline with all the risks that entails.....[&:]

Yeah, Spurs do need atleast one quality striker, however Liverpool desperately needs that one superb central defender that can tie the defensive line together. The past seasons they have conceeded far too many goals, and in the end it has lost them alot of points. When we had SAS on top, it did not matter if we conceeded 3, as they scored 5, but now...
I still see Spurs ahead of Liverpool tbh, seems Spurs have (atleast had last season) better work ethics in the squad.

City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, are the big 4, and then there are now a few teams fighting for the places behind them. Oh well, atleast Liverpool has not gone completely the same way as teams like Forest, Leeds and Blackburn....Yet...

british exil

Post by british exil »

Just gotten home from a Hannover 96 vs Sunderland AFC. Hannover lost 0:1 . It seems that Hannover will have a long hard struggle in the next season. 14 days away. The DFB Pokal starts next week, so crossing my fingers that they might win against a lower divisional team and get through to the next round.

Sunderland's fans were quite loud with their singing, might have been a few hundred but it did feel like thousands. They deserved the win, although Hannover did get a penalty in the 90th min. But shot badly and their keeper, who must be something like 2,5m saved it with ease.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “General Discussion”