Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr Game over :-)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

njp72

RE: Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr (no wargmr)

Post by njp72 »

Main Allied Offensive

Here is where Wargmr is attempting to make some headway and relieve the cut off garrison of Ndeni.

He has had to commit his carriers due to my constant air attacks and the lack of developed allied air bases.

The other problem he has is I still hold Noumea and hence can see any allied naval movement from a long way off.

If he really gets serious here I can't stop him nor will I risk key naval assets. Air and subs only.

Attachments
Push.gif
Push.gif (235.01 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

N/E Oz

And here is where I am probably having the most fun using small SAGs and larger bombardment groups to go after soft targets.

The area further north is heavily fortified and I have plenty of air and naval assets rotating out of the theatre.

It will take quite a deal of effort and treasure for the Allies to push further than Horn Island :-)

Attachments
Oz.gif
Oz.gif (335.6 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Exhibit one of the more successful bombardments

Of course the numbers are way out, but about 20 destroyed a/c on the ground and few ships as well.

Attachments
bombardment.gif
bombardment.gif (334.9 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

And yet he very nearly got me on the way out. No more ammo!!!!!

As he quietly reminded me, he only has to get lucky once :-)

He was a bit unlucky (or was I lucky?) as he had a more potent surface group than this one which I just narrowly missed on the egress.

Over confidence and complacency is a killer in this game!

Attachments
Picture3.gif
Picture3.gif (287.13 KiB) Viewed 45 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Since "Mr Fletcher" is beginning to come out in serious numbers, you have to be as they can reach out and get you from far away (37 knot = 11 hexes). I was able to base some at Cooktown and have them patrol 3 to 4 hexes east under LRCAP. Then, order a Full Speed run to Milne Bay to get whatever Japan had there or trying to get to Port Moresby. A 8 ship SC TF made up of just Fletchers is not something that you want to deal with too often. [:-]
[center]Image[/center]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

So true and wise advice.

I have no intention of trying to mix it up with his surface forces now in 43- the Fletchers are just too deadly and trading ships is a road to ruin. :-)

If he wants to come after my surface assets I want to have plenty of warning and opportunity to decline.

The number one target this month is again allied fighters- if I can drain his pools I doubt he can go any where fast- I hope.

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Since "Mr Fletcher" is beginning to come out in serious numbers, you have to be as they can reach out and get you from far away (37 knot = 11 hexes). I was able to base some at Cooktown and have them patrol 3 to 4 hexes east under LRCAP. Then, order a Full Speed run to Milne Bay to get whatever Japan had there or trying to get to Port Moresby. A 8 ship SC TF made up of just Fletchers is not something that you want to deal with too often. [:-]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Allied offensive

Well it has taken a while but I sense Wargmr (Mike) has tired of my antics and massed a significant portion of his fleet to relieve Ndeni.

I had good search coverage of his fleet (and still do) but alas there is just too much combat power present and I'm not set up for a confrontation.

I will sit back and watch for a while to see which direction he may head next.

Attachments
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (249.45 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Continuing my policy of being a pain in the ass, I have decided to cause trouble in the central pacific.

The last week I have undertaken big fighter sweeps specifically targeting his P39s and what's left of his P40es.

After the 3rd big sweep his fighters have disappeared allowing me to push forward and reinforce certain atoll positions near his main bases.

Good air search coverage has been re-established and now nuisance mining is also underway.

When he heads back this way again it should be just a little bit tougher :-)

Attachments
Central.gif
Central.gif (226.56 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Once Tabiteuea is gone, so is Japan's chance holding here....I think. Make him bleed, but don't over do it.

What does your plane production and research look like?
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Hi Lowpe

Not so sure about that ref Tabiteuea. I have him sealed off pretty good at the moment thanks to airpower.

I will post the plane production and research stats over the weekend :-)

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Once Tabiteuea is gone, so is Japan's chance holding here....I think. Make him bleed, but don't over do it.

What does your plane production and research look like?
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Lucky ambush at Addu

Despite all of the activity around Noumea with the majority of his fleet parked there, Wargmr has been slipping in fleets and amphib taskforces into Diego Garcia.

I just missed him the last time with my Sags and a CVE fleet but I based them at Ceylon because I had a hunch he would return and sure enough he did.

Not only did he return, but in true aggressive Wargmr style :-) he tried an amphib assault on Addu right on top of a SAG and the CVEs parked nearby!

By God he is aggressive.

Attachments
Addu.gif
Addu.gif (296.39 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

The results were not pretty for him after the SAGs and airpower were finished I think I can scratch one allied division at the bottom of the ocean and about 10-12 ships.

I have finally gotten use to his style (perhaps)- last time a bold move like this would have met with little resistance and Ceylon would have been endangered,

Against Wargmr I believe I need to defend in forward positions to prevent his rapid and aggressive moves.

His morale will no doubt take a small hit but in his true form he will be back going for my throat in about a week.

Attached is just one of the combat reports from the day.

Attachments
Addu2.gif
Addu2.gif (319.94 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: njp72

Hi Lowpe

Not so sure about that ref Tabiteuea. I have him sealed off pretty good at the moment thanks to airpower.

I will post the plane production and research stats over the weekend :-)

Great work out there west of Ceylon! I don't know if Wargamer will quiet down for a whole week though, he was incredibly aggressive last game.

PS: I am looking forward to reading your plane stats....all those lessons learned from your first 1945 game....

I mention Tabit, merely because once heavy bombers are based there it is very difficult to keep the Japanese air force flying.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

You are quite correct- the setback he has suffered has caused no delay on his other fronts.

Wargmr is a very resilient and dangerous player.

His heavy bombers have been very quiet. Not sure why but I am sure that will change. :-(

Will start posting some economic stats shortly.

[/quote]

Great work out there west of Ceylon! I don't know if Wargamer will quiet down for a whole week though, he was incredibly aggressive last game.

PS: I am looking forward to reading your plane stats....all those lessons learned from your first 1945 game....

I mention Tabit, merely because once heavy bombers are based there it is very difficult to keep the Japanese air force flying.
[/quote]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Eco update 1

It is a war of logistics and here oil, fuel and supply are critical.

Here is a brief snapshot. I have never used tracker so the presentation of the info is not ideal.

I continue to make plenty of mistakes economically but after a fair few games I have a reasonable sense now of what is critical- and that is supply.

My HI is low but I will get that going in the next 6 months. The priority is engines and single seat fighters.

I have plenty of Arm and Veh points which will come in handy for 44 and 45.

Attachments
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (269.71 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Eco update 2

I keep a close eye on supply and for once I am doing a good job of getting oil and fuel back to the HI in a timely manner.

The priority is mass production of single engine types with the priority the following:

1. Zero line
2. Oscar line
3. All other fighter types
4. DBs
5. TBs
6. 2 engine types

I still feel the Achilles heel of the Allied war effort is their lack of quality fighter aircraft in 42 and 43.

I have tried to wage a war of attrition in the air. If he has no fighter aircraft in his pools it makes it very hard to establish any form of even air parity over the battle space.

PDU-off, Realistic R&D on.

Attachments
Picture2.gif
Picture2.gif (283.18 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Plane and engine production last turn

Aligned with my previous post you can see the mass production of single engine fighter a/c.

In terms of R&D most types are arriving a 2 to 3 months before scheduled but I expect this to improve significantly for the zero and Oscar lines in the next 6 months.

The mass production of the HA-45 is also just about to commence.

Attachments
planeprod..astturn.gif
planeprod..astturn.gif (271.83 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

And here is the result :-)

You will note the 3 Allied fighter types I have been going after with some gusto.

I am fairly certain his pools for allied army fighters are very dry aside from the P-40K.

Just this month we have been clashing heavily with this type and I am confident I can inflict unsustainable losses on it (P40K) within the next two months.

He has been very conservative with his navy fighters but when they do appear the wildcat is no match for the A6M5 or the Oscar IIb.

The Spitfires cause me the most problems on point defence.

Attachments
Picture3.gif
Picture3.gif (279.42 KiB) Viewed 45 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Allied replacement rates vs Japanese production

Below is a quick snap shot of US Army fighters replacement rates I expect to face over the next few months.

- P-39D 25 per month
- P-40K 65 per month
- P-38G 20 per month
- P-40N5 55 per month
- P47D2 56 per month

Now this is my current production with the Oscar and Zero line with neither currently being obsolete or outclassed- yet!

- A6M5 384 per month
- Ki-43IIB 324 per month

Of course this does not include his naval fighters especially the Hellcat but neither have I included the Tojos, Tonys and soon to be arriving Georges.

Apologies if I have my numbers wrong but on these rough figures I should come out on top in the air for the remainder of 43 :-)

njp72

Post by njp72 »

My last rambling for the night :-)

I have found it curious in my previous games or reviewing other AARs the sudden surge by the Allies around March/April 44.

The reversal of fortunes for the Empire during these months is often swift and dramatic.

Now there are potentially many causes behind this but without doubt, the biggest issue I faced during this time period was the emergence of this monster.

Completely changed the air war in combination with increased production of USN fighters (corsair and hellcat). Being aware of the problem is one thing, to be able to solve it is another :-0

Attachments
Picture4.gif
Picture4.gif (247.35 KiB) Viewed 45 times

Return to “After Action Reports”