Jison's WitE Map Mod for WitW?

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Stardog765

Jison's WitE Map Mod for WitW?

Post by Stardog765 »

Just picked up War in the East and so love Jison's map mod. Has there been any talk about him doing one for the War in the West?

Man I hope so!

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks all
RedLancer

RE: Jison's WitE Map Mod for WitW?

Post by RedLancer »

If he is he's keeping it quiet.

The WitW map is very, very different to WitE as it's a mosaic and not tableaus. To do so presents a whole new challenge but as the HPS system uses mosaic tiles if anyone can Jison can.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Red Lancer thank you. I did actually find some comments on that very thing after making this post so I was coming here to update it.
I love his map but I might be far too OCD about this stuff to use it on WitE and knowing I wont be able to on WitW when I get to it. :)

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it.

MattFL

Post by MattFL »

I have War in the West and use Jison's map mod for War in the East. I now find WiTW almost too ugly to play by comparison................................................................
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I don't know how the graphics work, but John Tiller's games use a tiled map and someone made a single piece hand-painted map for one of the Civil War games. I don't know if JT altered the code to permit such a mod, but even so apparently it's not that much of a chore to arrange. Where there's a will there's a way. Jison's WitE map is truly a work of art.
Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Ya I actually emailed Jison and he was nice enough to take the time to email me back.
He said that the way the maps are compiled in WitW are different than WitE and it would take an enormous amount of work to make the same map for WitW. :(

If I knew how to do it I would give it a try but I do not.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

If you are serious and can get Jison to release his original artwork that he used to build the WitE map (cutting from his WitE map is troublesome) I can help talk you through the process. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it myself although I did a quick version in alpha to learn the system.
If you are competent with graphics it is not difficult and all the tools to mod the map tiles are in the editor. If others want to help we can make it a group project as the time is creating the tiles. The good news is as a mosaic you don't have to do them all at once.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Curious why Matrix games didnt just contact Jison and pay him to do the map artwork since pretty much everyone agrees his work is better than the original map artwork for WITE.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

That is a broad assertion although I agree that Jison's map is very well received. Modding is not for everyone though. I like both and for me more choice = more players.

Also note Post 21: tm.asp?m=3327255&mpage=1&key=

Notwithstanding whether Jison was willing to accept Erik's offer the design choice was to keep the map similar to the WitE like much of the interface.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

IC, well least the offer was made.

Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Red Lancer I will certainly email him back or hopefully he sees this post here. He doesnt really know me from Adam :)

But I would be thrilled to try if its not that terribly bad. I don't tons of free time with working all day but I would so love to have that map in WitW so I would be willing to try it.

Let me see what he says about it and I will also point him to this thread.

Thanks for the offer.

Also I want to add. I actually like the stock maps in both games. I hope my interest is not taken as a slight to the stock maps because they are very well done too. Its just that Jison's map is so nice it would be nice to have it in both games in my opinion :)

Jison

Post by Jison »

Regarding Post 21: I did answer that offer, but Erik didnt get back to me until maybe 6 month later and then I was occupied with Tillers East Prussia '14. My mail got lost somehow but re-appeared half a year later - just one of those weird things. [;)]

And about me being willing to release my original artwork... well, I dont see what good that would do because all the artwork are included in the downloadable mod - there is no additional artwork to share.

Jison

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”