Win 10 free upgrade

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Riitaoja

RE: Win 10 free upgrade

Post by Riitaoja »

From what I've read and understood Windows 10 will be automaticaly updated to any new Windows version they might come up with in the future and it is considered to be an ongoing "service".

This might mean that at some point they will update Windows 10 so that some old games/ software stop working with it. What would happen then? Could you uninstall that update and go back to an older version of Windows 10? Or would you need to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to using Win7 or 8? What about changing system requirements, etc. It all seems very odd to me.

Granted it may take some time until Microsoft rolls out their next massive Windows update for Win10 and it might even be that we will get Windows 11 after all but who knows...

Only reason I could think of changing to Windows 10 is DirectX 12. They say it will be exclusive to Win10 so future games might need it and thus render older Windows versions obsolete.

Then again we had Vista with exclusive DirectX10 and most games still support Windows XP and DirectX9. So it might take several years until one actualy is required to use Windows 10 to play a new game.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

It appears that eventually it will be a contract service and will have a monthly or yearly cost in order for you to receive any upgrades. More money in getting money from contracts than in selling a product one time.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

It appears that eventually it will be a contract service and will have a monthly or yearly cost in order for you to receive any upgrades. More money in getting money from contracts than in selling a product one time.
From what I read here, that's not correct:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-wind ... d=noscript
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I was wondering if I should move up to 10, since 8.1 was lack of few things I wasn't happy with. Should have DvD maker and other tools were taken out, does upgrade to 10 have it? Probable have to buy it.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

From what I read here, that's not correct:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-wind ... d=noscript

Well clear as mud - as it uses phrases like looks like, might be, not exactly clear etc. The writer and apparently Microsoft aren't exactly sure how it will work. Anyway once windows 10 is replaced by 11 (or something else) it is still unclear if it will be a service at that time. I will upgrade to 10 either way (but may wait for first patch because of past windows experience) as my win 7 will most likely not be continued to be upgraded or supported much longer.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Zap

Post by Zap »

After loading 10 I could no longer find SPWAW shortcut on desktop. Other matrix game shortcuts are present. Now where do I find the game and why did the shortcut not work?
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Good move running Windows 10 Pro so you can have some control over Windows Update!
Zap

Post by Zap »

I found game made a shortcut but does not work. This is the free SPWAW. I may have to download it again(which I don't look forward to doing.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I installed it...I like it...but it wiped out my anti virus...I just reinstalled it..its all good
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

From what I've read and understood Windows 10 will be automaticaly updated to any new Windows version they might come up with in the future and it is considered to be an ongoing "service"....
According to this: Windows 10 To Be 'Last Version Of Windows'
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

tried 3 versions, all work, clean install, and upgrade from win 7 and win 8.1,

as with all upgrades, all anti virus programs need to be turned off, as it won't work with it on, as it's altering system files etc

Attachments
windows 10..for free.jpg
windows 10..for free.jpg (172.18 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I think I will wait at least six to twelve months before moving up to 10, heard not compatible with all games and I didn't want to run into problems.
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

zakblood, how did you get it to do a clean install? I updated my laptop last night and I never saw it give me the option, so it just kept all the old files and programs on my hard drive. Did I miss something during the process? I left the room for whilst it was updating so it's entirely possible.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

once you have it on your pc, find the windows 10 key, then download the image / iso from M/S and install from fresh, no upgrade needed then, but as it's a free upgrade key, first you at least need the key from them, so only way to do it at the start is by doing the upgrade onto your version of windows 7 or 8 as a upgrade, then it check your key then gives you a new one, free of charge, as it's a free upgrade, then M/S has ISO / images out for new installs as well but as you need a key, for most these aren't any good atm, but as you now have a key, can do it now with the ISO or at a later date... if and when needed...

so you need the ISO and a key finder, both M/S stuff and free.

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Code: Select all

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893

(please remember none of this is my work and is only for help and not for any other reason, use it at your own risk as i don't do support and neither will anyone else on the board if it goes wrong, if you don't know what your doing, just use the upgrade and stay with that, seems also you don't need a key once you have done the upgrade as M/S will keep a copy of your hardware so you can reinstall again at any time on the same hardware for free (so no key needed on ISO install once a upgrade has been done first)

and no gexmex it doesn't give you the option unless you have the ISO first, i used another program to load the ISO onto a memory stick so can re install off that in future, takes all of 12 mins for home and pro 64 bit on a SDD and a i7 cpu with plenty of ram, may take slightly longer on older hardware but still very quick and easy, does all drivers and downloads as it's installing. simple... and best of all free...
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

Thanks zakblood! Please forgive my ignorance, but what is an ISO? And what does it mean when it says "....out for new installs as well but as you need a key, for most of these aren't any good at the moment..."?

Thanks for your advice! I'm looking forward to really digging into 10. I've really liked what I've seen in the few minutes I've played around with it. [8D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: gexmex

Thanks zakblood! Please forgive my ignorance, but what is an ISO? And what does it mean when it says "....out for new installs as well but as you need a key, for most of these aren't any good at the moment..."?

Thanks for your advice! I'm looking forward to really digging into 10. I've really liked what I've seen in the few minutes I've played around with it. [8D]

a ISO is a format of a image, which can be burnt to either a DVD or mounted / installed on a memory stick with the right program, it's used to keep a install package together and in one piece etc, there are many types of images but ISO is just one format used by most...
An ISO image is an archive file of an optical disc, a type of disk image composed of the data contents from every written sector on an optical disc, including the optical disc file system. ISO image files usually have a file extension of .iso.
the ISO or image is also out to buy or downloads, but for many as they are getting it for free wouldn't use the ISO / image so is of little use to them, is all i was saying, as without a upgrade first or a key is of little use...
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation!
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

I upgraded from 8.1 last night and am very happy so far. All my games seem to run fine. And the overall UI is light-years better than 8.1.

It got lost in the ridiculously messed up UI, but Windows 8 was a very stable, fast and polished OS. Windows 10 fixes the UI problems and seems every bit as polished. I'm mostly a Mac guy, but I'm very impressed with 10.

As for installation, I never did get the Get Windows App to show up on my task bar. I futzed around with some diagnostic tools, which kept saying that I was missing a KB-something Windows Update file - even though I had already installed it. (At that point, I'm thinking, "Typical Microsoft.")

So I finally just download the standard Windows 10 setup file from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10. It goes through the typical installation routine and gives you the option to upgrade the PC you're on or make an installation disc for another PC. And it also offers the option to keep your old files and settings (which I did) or do a clean install. The whole thing took less than an hour once I stopped trying to get the automatic update and just did it the old-fashioned way.

Well worth the effort so far!
TJD

Post by TJD »

I'm happy with 10 too, and found a feature I hadn't expected: it has a Game panel, triggered by [Window key + G], that allows you to record a video of a game, screenshot it, etc. I experimented with Order of Battle: Pacific using it and a quick 2' video came out very nicely. I had thought this panel was only for Xbox streaming, but no.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Mine went pretty smooth. so far the only program that won't run is Microsoft Money!
Tony

Return to “General Discussion”