Looking for a good Axis player for a PBEM game --closed

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

mktours

Looking for a good Axis player for a PBEM game --closed

Post by mktours »

Hi, I Just won a game as GHC in 1941 summer and would like to play a mirror game as SHC to see the effect of the same game setting and house rules:
Game setting:
(1)1941-1945 full campaign
(2)Full FOW
(3)Lock HQ support
(4) Non-random Weather
(5) Regular Blizzard
(6) Soviet player bonus: attack+1
House rules:
(1)No Paratrooper dropping
(2)Ground unit bombing could only be made against hexes which are to be ground attacked in the current turn. In other words, if a hex would not be ground attacked in that turn, then it should not be Ground unit bombed
(3)No bombing on HQs. There is only one situation that a hex containing a HQ could be bombed: the HQ is stacking with a ground unit and the unit is to be ground-attacked in the same turn.
(4)No airfield bombing after T1.
(5)No more than 3 bombing at each city & port per turn.
(6)Airbases (including German army airbase) could only move at the end of each turn, after all air missions have been finished.
(7)Airbase could not enter newly conquer & converted hexes in the current turn. It could only enter those hexes which are already under friendly controlled at the start of one’s turn. If a pocket has been open in the turn, then the airbase could move into the pocket that turn.
(8)Air drop must be made to at least 1 hex away from the staging airbase.
(9)After a unit received air-drop supply & fuel, it must stop moving that turn.
(10)HQ build up must be made within 20 Mp range of rail head, and the HQ must not move in the whole turn.
(11)No more than 3 ground unit bombing against one hex per turn
(12)No more than 5 ground attacks against one hex per turn
(13)No naval invasions before November 1941, none outside the 1939 Soviet borders before January 1943; in addition if Sevastopol is either isolated, or in German hands, none west of the Crimea.
(14)No soviet bombing Polesti before 1943.
As I said in the AAR of the previous game, I myself would be more than willing to set the soviet transport level at 50% and play the soviet side, so here I am offering the game as soviet player, 50% transport level at soviet side.
I live a busy life, and would try to do at least 2 turns/week, but sometimes I need to deal with other issues and would have to ask for delay of turn for 1-2 days.
Note: I want us to agree to play this game out in 1.08.04 version, as the 1.08.05 version would undergo huge change, and it would sway the game balance if we upgrade to it in the middle of our game.
Anybody who is interested in this game, please answer formally to this thread, and state whether you agree of the terms or not.
Edit: Callistrid said he have different thoughts now and don't want to play, so I play this game with Saper. Thread closed.
heliodorus04

RE: Looking for a good Axis player for a PBEM game

Post by heliodorus04 »

Whoa!
Too many house rules to keep track of. I get the point, you don't want to be exploited by the rules.
Outside of the bombing/airborne limits, most of those rules, however, are simply meddlesome and unnecessary.

Most people only move airbases at the end of the turn. The air refuel=no moving thing is punitive (it's week-long turns; I always start my turn with airdrops of fuel, when HQs are closest).
Any player who bombs cities and ports has no idea how useless it is. Three per turn? You should encourage more, because it would waste more air power.

If you set the transport level to 50 for the Soviet you will never reach Berlin and the number of pockets you will lose in 41 could be significant. I suspect you might be overconfident.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Whoa!
Too many house rules to keep track of. I get the point, you don't want to be exploited by the rules.
Outside of the bombing/airborne limits, most of those rules, however, are simply meddlesome and unnecessary.

Most people only move airbases at the end of the turn. The air refuel=no moving thing is punitive (it's week-long turns; I always start my turn with airdrops of fuel, when HQs are closest).
Any player who bombs cities and ports has no idea how useless it is. Three per turn? You should encourage more, because it would waste more air power.

If you set the transport level to 50 for the Soviet you will never reach Berlin and the number of pockets you will lose in 41 could be significant. I suspect you might be overconfident.
Thanks for the comments.
All the house rules have good reasons, at least to me. I have some explanations of them in another thread, the link is
tm.asp?m=3877168
If you are interested, you could have a look at that thread.
I think that it is always hard to find a perfect balance game as this game is so huge and complicated, but I believed whenever there is a challenge, there is always answers, it is always up to players to respond to the challenge. When I said I am more than willing to set 50% transport level and play Soviet side, it is not because I am conceit, it is just my personal judgement, and of course, it could be wrong, but I am willing to take the challenge.
Also, the house rules is not easy to the Germany side in 1941, so I am confident to defend.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Hi Tours,

Hmmm... you won the game in summer against the mighty sapper? Hmmm... tell us your secret!
Let's hear story about how quickly fall the Soviet Union!

Or I need to play against you, to know how?
Saper2229

Post by Saper2229 »

Interesting see, how many turns you fight. 50% transport level is crazy. I can play Germany.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Against whom? Me?
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

Hi Tours,

Hmmm... you won the game in summer against the mighty sapper? Hmmm... tell us your secret!
Let's hear story about how quickly fall the Soviet Union!

Or I need to play against you, to know how?
Hi, Callistrid
If you could accept all the house rules, I would set the soviet transport level to 50% and play the soviet side.
It is nice to play against you, as you are a good player.
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Saper222

Interesting see, how many turns you fight. 50% transport level is crazy. I can play Germany.
Hi, Saper
I respect your judgement, as I said in the AAR and emails, that the transport level setting at 50% at soviet side might be too harsh to your side, and is very likely the reason for your losing the game. But I also feel that you are not used to the new setting and you didn't react to the new challenge properly ( which is not your fault, anyone is likely to make mistakes given this is a huge game), when I said I myself is more than willing to set soviet transport level to 50% and play the soviet side, it is only my personal judgement and that I am willing to take the challenge.
I hope you could understand my purpose here, it is not against you. As I said, I think the game experience with you is worthwhile and you play well in the games between us, I didn't see I am a better player than you even though I won those games as the game setting might be in favor of my side. I am not trying to deny that.
I would be pleasure to play against you with this game, but Callistrid came first, let us see if he is willing to play first.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Ok Mktours, let's see how you will beat me (if you can, of course).
What you prefere serve, or PBEM?
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

Ok Mktours, let's see how you will beat me (if you can, of course).
What you prefere serve, or PBEM?
Hi, Callistrid
Nice to see you agree to play! I believe that it will be good game experience between us.
Maybe you are going to beat me, it is not easy for soviet to defend too.
Let us play PBEM game. I have PM you my email address, please send me an email and I would send you the start file.
Regards,
Tours
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: mktours

Hi, Saper
I respect your judgement, as I said in the AAR and emails, that the transport level setting at 50% at soviet side might be too harsh to your side, and is very likely the reason for your losing the game. But I also feel that you are not used to the new setting and you didn't react to the new challenge properly ( which is not your fault, anyone is likely to make mistakes given this is a huge game), when I said I myself is more than willing to set soviet transport level to 50% and play the soviet side, it is only my personal judgement and that I am willing to take the challenge.
I hope you could understand my purpose here, it is not against you. As I said, I think the game experience with you is worthwhile and you play well in the games between us, I didn't see I am a better player than you even though I won those games as the game setting might be in favor of my side. I am not trying to deny that.
I would be pleasure to play against you with this game, but Callistrid came first, let us see if he is willing to play first.
To Saper:
Since Callistrid came first and he agreed to play the game, I would play this game against him. Sorry for decline your offer.
mktours

Post by mktours »

Callistrid informed me just now that he don't want to play. so this thread is still open.
mktours

Post by mktours »

Hi, Saper
Callistrid just said he don't want to play, so if you are still interested, we could play the game, just give me a reply, or send me an email, and I would send you the start file.
mktours

Post by mktours »

Will play this game with Saper, thread closed.
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

An AAR will be very appreciated [:)]
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Northern Star

An AAR will be very appreciated [:)]
Hi Northern Star,
Thanks very much for being interested in this game. Although I would not do the AAR (due to lacking of time), I feel obliged to inform you the game result. Saper gave up the game in T16, after a disappointing Germany summer Campaign ( it looks clear that Soviet would be very likely to keep Leningrad, Moscow, Tula, and Stalino in 1941).
Sorry for delay in reply.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”