Waller Takes Charge, 1955 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Waller Takes Charge, 1955 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

It's 1955 and it's World War III! American forces have taken serious losses in the Mediterranean. Two American destroyers and a dozen or so surviving aircraft en route to Souda Bay from the Intrepid (which is currently on fire) are the only forces available to eliminate remaining Soviet forces in the waters south of Crete.

As always, please let me know what you think. Observations, suggestions, etc. on everything from gameplay to the units being used and how I've written the orders, etc. are all welcome. Thanks! Enjoy the scenario!

[version 4 uploaded 4:50 PM EST 8/2/15]

Attachments
Waller Tak..ge, 1955.zip
(97.73 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Primarchx

RE: Waller off Crete, 1955 -- new beta for testing

Post by Primarchx »

The bombers' AA guns are more accurate than the fighters! What a PITA!
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Neptunes cannot take off. They are Very Large Aircraft and Souda only has access points for Large Aircraft.

More of that, what is named Runway Access Point (Very Large Aircraft) is on closer examination in fact Infantry Platoon.

---

AD-6 Skyraiders cannot be reloaded once landed, most likely because there are no Drop Tanks in the magazines.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Interesting set up.  Called it quits after vaporizing an Egyptian DD and Sov CL and realized afterwards that it would take me 3 weeks to put Mersa Matruth out of action with dumb iron bombs!  Could have got a much bigger bang for the buck with the 'Devil' . 290 points - average after 8 hours.  Same point on the Neptune's noted.
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

New version (with new title) uploaded. I've replaced the Neptunes with Trackers, which seem able to take off from Souda Bay.

AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Gunner98,

you have nukes for that airbase. And authorization, yes.

Mgellis,

The problem is not with the aircraft, the problem is with the Souda Bay airbase. If you have imported it, then the problem is with import. The airbase has infantry platoons in places where VLarge access points should be.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

Gunner98,

you have nukes for that airbase. And authorization, yes.

Mgellis,

The problem is not with the aircraft, the problem is with the Souda Bay airbase. If you have imported it, then the problem is with import. The airbase has infantry platoons in places where VLarge access points should be.

Yes, I'm using the import. If Souda Bay is supposed to have VL access points, I can add those. I just didn't know and thought, well, maybe in the 50s the base wasn't set up for very large aircraft.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

That is weird about the inf platoons...it's like someone added them as inf platoons and then renamed them as VL access points...I wonder how that happened...
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Yes, kind of funny. Which thread do we report a bug in? This looks like a bug in import pre-set facilities.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

New version uploaded. I've made the fixes to the air base, replaced the P-2s, and given the Soviet cruiser a destroyer and a tanker to make things a little more interesting.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

The latest version is OK. I would like more bombs if possible, but I still managed quite fine with what I had.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

The latest version is OK. I would like more bombs if possible, but I still managed quite fine with what I had.

I noticed that, so I did add a few more MK 82 and MK 83 and MK 77 bombs to the magazines at Souda Bay.

Any other observations, suggestions, comments, etc.?

.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Noted will update

Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

One last note, AD-6 Skyriders, Blackbird, do not have 1200 liter drop tank for them at Souda air base, therefore they cannot be readied. Which may well be as designed, because the ground base may well not have enough equipment for the carrier aircraft.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

One last note, AD-6 Skyriders, Blackbird, do not have 1200 liter drop tank for them at Souda air base, therefore they cannot be readied. Which may well be as designed, because the ground base may well not have enough equipment for the carrier aircraft.

That's one of the things I fixed in the newest version. I'll upload that shortly so people can take a look at it. Actually, I don't think the drop tanks matter...what was causing the problem was that I had not put any of the right bombs in the base's magazines.

thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I wonder if the infantry platoons at Souda are more a database change error than an import bug. I suspect the original export was an older database that changed and the import is bringing in the right unit ID, but wrong unit. Just guessing.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Other thoughts or comments about this one? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Sunburn, FYI, I just posted the "released" version of this scenario in the "Please use this to post ready scenarios for Community" thread.

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Thanks!
Naz

Post by Naz »

Excellent. It conveys well a sense of massive losses in just such a scenario. Starting with Tu-4 Bulls loaded with atomics and already on the way to hit your only airbase is nasty.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”