When do Air Units fly.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Uxbridge

When do Air Units fly.

Post by Uxbridge »

Just had a six days vacation and the Game Manual was with me. This has solved a lot of questions and concerns I had, but it has also prompted a few new ones. Most urgent is:

Suppose I put some of my air groups on 'rest' before the friendly (Allied) air execution, execute the air phase, and then put them back to 'day only' before I execute the ground phase -- does this mean they can fly during my ground phase and during the enemy turn?
Helpless

RE: When do Air Units fly.

Post by Helpless »

Suppose I put some of my air groups on 'rest' before the friendly (Allied) air execution, execute the air phase, and then put them back to 'day only' before I execute the ground phase -- does this mean they can fly during my ground phase and during the enemy turn?

Yes.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Thanks. [:)]
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

A couple of last questions before I press 'Invade':

1. Does range between unit and HQ count at moment of landning; i.e. are the units considered 'out of range' if not within 5 hexes?

2. Can destroyed units be reconstructed? I'm thinking of the paras. I recall this was possible in WitE.

3. Is there any drawback, game tecnically, to land 2 divisions in a hex rather than just one? I suppose I will take higher losses, but will it somehow affect movement/combat once ashore and in the upcoming turn?

Sorry for being tedious, but I can't test this. It's a PBEM and once I say 'Let's go', I'm stuck with the decision till the end of the scenario.

Oh, yes ...

4. Will the landings and air drops take place in the same order as I let them leave the harbours and airfields?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Destroyed allied units show up in Ireland or North Africa depending on where they died, and who they are.

Destroyed Axis units will show up on the rail line northwest of Berlin.

Range seems to not care about intervening terrain (such as water). However, I have never seen support units added when they don't have a land path.

The reason to invade with two units rather then one, is so that the beach head can defend itself on the axis turn. You will also want to smother the area with interdiction to weaken any axis units that show up. Remember, his armour will be moving 50 hexes. 30ish hexes and they can still do a Deliberate attack. You want at least 4-5 interdiction in the hexes leading up to your beach head.

You will also want to expand the beach head fairly quickly, so you can have room to drop your HQ's...and follow up armour.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

3. This is what I'm figuring. So you're all for 2 units a hex if at all possible?
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Certainly. As well as the greater power to resist attacks on the axis turn, it will allow you to attack with two divisions from the hex on your next turn while follow up units are being landed. Also better to attach support units if you have them to increase firepower further (but don't do this part way through prepping as I think this sets back your timescale).
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

And one last question:

5. In one invading force, one division has preparation 90, the other 65. Will this mean they both suffer results as if being 65?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

No..each has its own value and suffers its own attrition. 65 isn't bad. What hurts more is enemy fort level, weather and enemy naval interdiction (which you can all see).
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Very well ... wish me luck. Here I go.
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Let us know how you got on.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

It went rather well. Nine divisions ashore, covered by four airborne divisions.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”