Strategic Command WW I

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

Strategic Command WW I

Post by operating »

Has anybody been checking out: Strategic Command WW I over at Battlefront games http://www.battlefront.com/ At least their dev's support it...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Meteor2

RE: Strategic Command WW I

Post by Meteor2 »

The WW1 part of Stategic Command has two parts: The basic game and one expansion (Break through).
This combination offers a good (IMHO) game experience. There is a diplomaty option, which is better than in Commander
and everybody, who is interessted in this time period should have a serious look into this game.
GreyDonkey

Post by GreyDonkey »

Thanks for your answer Meteor2.

I've just downloaded the demo and will give it a shot!
Best wishes,
Kettengeist
TheGreatRadish

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Fantastic game with a brilliant WW2 scenario included as well.
operating

Post by operating »

Just bought it today bundled with an expansion boxed, 3-5 days to delivery!
GreyDonkey

Post by GreyDonkey »

Well, the graphics are awfully outdated. But the gameplay is very pleasant. Not sure it is the game I'm looking for. Will spend some more hours testing.
Best wishes,
Kettengeist
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Kettengeist

Well, the graphics are awfully outdated. But the gameplay is very pleasant. Not sure it is the game I'm looking for. Will spend some more hours testing.

Read through some of the AARs and Topics, ect.., Yes I saw some drawbacks also some interesting play. I really can't comment too much till getting immersed into the game, it does have a printable PDF manual, "NO" printed manual with game, which I think kinda stinks (A Trogon Horse cost). Hey! If there is no improvements being done with CTGW, "Total lack of support", plain and simple, I'm going to look elsewhere for a similar style game that is supported. If the dev's there are willing to work with the community, come up with changes that better the game: "I'm all for it"..!!! If it's a bomb, it's a bomb. My other choice was getting Battle Academy 2 Kursk (released April 2015) (some really good video AARs have swayed me quite a bit), however Slitherine is dropping developing that game also, and at $50.00 for a base disc BA 2, then another $30.00 for the Kursk expansion, $80.00 all total, plus shipping for a game that may or may not be supported in the near future, did not make for a great selling point to me, for I "Do not want another game that is not supported, either now or in the near future".
GreyDonkey

Post by GreyDonkey »

ORIGINAL: operating

..., for I "Do not want another game that is not supported, either now or in the near future".

Amen!

p.s. Just bought the game. Perhaps we can play a match or two in the future.
Best wishes,
Kettengeist
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Kettengeist
ORIGINAL: operating

..., for I "Do not want another game that is not supported, either now or in the near future".

Amen!

p.s. Just bought the game. Perhaps we can play a match or two in the future.
Yes, saw your post over at their forum.... Waiting for boxed bundle...
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

I have seen you at the Battllefront Forum.😀
So I hope you will have some interessting hours with the game. I had them....
The sequence is a little bit different, but as soon as you get used to it, it will be fun.
And: the developers are still active with feedback and support.
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

The strategic command are great games.

The graphics are not as good as commander but the gameplay is great and the game is supported!
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I have really enjoyed that game. It offers more depth than CTGW but is still very easy to play, just right for a only-kind-of-hardcore wargamer such as myself. There's also a fun 1870 Franco-Prussian War scenario in addition to the WW2 scenario and of course the WW1 stuff.

I've thought about getting Strategic Command WW2 as well but I'm confused by the pile of expansion options. Probably hold out for the new one, or see if Hearts of Iron 4 turns out good.
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

SCWW1 in a bundle with the expansion for 55 USD seems to be seriously overpriced in my eyes for a 5 yo game.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Rongor

SCWW1 in a bundle with the expansion for 55 USD seems to be seriously overpriced in my eyes for a 5 yo game.

Ya know, I have been playing SCWWI the past 3 weeks (or more) day and night in SP, much to the chagrin of some MP opponents I have here (to them I owe an apology), however, the scale of this old game as you call it, has a lot of similarities to CTGW, but on a different scale and a boat load of different scenarios to pick from. Personally, I really like CTGW, I only wished they had done scenarios like the ones SCWW1 has, plus, the Dev's actually answer your questions! The diplomacy in this game blows CTGW away, although I found that CTGW is easier to manage overall.

PS.

By the way: The expansion for that game is well worth the money. [;)]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Battlefront really doesn't have the super sales on games and often the prices stay the same for. Years. However, the games they make are good, they have a good forum and mods developed for most games. I have the global conflict game and they have a mod for just eastern front based on one of the board games with similar counters. I can't remember the game though from board game. I have bought many of the games since they came online. Barbarous to Berlin was my favorite

Spelling and writing on a tablet. To slow
operating

Post by operating »

Does this look familiar to you? CP invading France without going through neutral Belgium...

Attachments
191707...jpg2.jpg
191707...jpg2.jpg (554.66 KiB) Viewed 295 times
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Bob, This will be the only screen shot I will post on here regarding Strategic Command WW1 Breakthrough. I have been busy creating a scenario, and here is a photo off details for the German Dreadnought Helgoland class.

Attachments
Dreadnoughtstats.jpg
Dreadnoughtstats.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Make it so!
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

You guys make me wanna give it a try... but still I think it is overpriced. I wish those guys at battlefront would gain enough attention to enlarge their selling interface. I read that this is in fact planned. Battlefront could really benefit from a decent push towards a level that Slitherine/Matrixgames already and successfully achieved. Take the fact that Slitherine/Matrixgames are finally selling stuff via Steam. Not saying that Steam is the highest level of success that every company should logically aim for but it certainly is a milestone when determining a developers ability to sell games.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Rongor

You guys make me wanna give it a try... but still I think it is overpriced. I wish those guys at battlefront would gain enough attention to enlarge their selling interface. I read that this is in fact planned. Battlefront could really benefit from a decent push towards a level that Slitherine/Matrixgames already and successfully achieved. Take the fact that Slitherine/Matrixgames are finally selling stuff via Steam. Not saying that Steam is the highest level of success that every company should logically aim for but it certainly is a milestone when determining a developers ability to sell games.
Hey, your not the only one who "dickers" about game pricing, it all depends on what you want... I'd like to get BA Kursk, Ahh! There's a catch! The buyer has to pay $50.00 for the base game BA 2, then buy BA Kursk for another $30.00, Gee! That's $80.00 for a game that is "NOT" in development anymore by Slitherine, anyhow, I'd still like to get the game, "Only if it is on SALE" in box form. OK, Now I look over this game Strategic Command WW I with the Breakthrough expansion for $55.00 bundle --BOXED, I'm a little ticked off at the owners of CTGW, but I like the WW I genre, so I decided to move along and give SCWWI a try, and you know what?: I'm happy I did! The Dev's actually communicate with their customers![:)] Unlike the meatheads who own CTGW![:(]
operating

Post by operating »

For those of you who have had issues with in game diplomacy check out this screen from SCWWI: Breakthrough, where a side can purchase chits to influence nations instead of the convoluted system that is used in CTGW.

Attachments
InterfaceGuide11.jpg
InterfaceGuide11.jpg (172.87 KiB) Viewed 295 times

Return to “Commander - The Great War”