Will I, wont I, will I.....

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

RSGodfrey

Will I, wont I, will I.....

Post by RSGodfrey »

Wish there was a demo of this 'game'. Looks frighteningly complex and time-consuming with micro-management.
Just finished reading Beevor's Stalingrad and would like an Eastern Front challenge, but its a lot of
money to waste if I cant cut it.

Richard
budd

RE: Will I, wont I, will I.....

Post by budd »

I had a lot of the same worries you do which kept me from purchasing the game until the last sale. What i can tell you is that is easy to jump in and start pushing counters, the UI is well layed out and is helpful rather than a hindrance.The small "road to " scenarios kind of spoon feed you along. yes you will have to spend time in the manual, in fact i usually have it open on my tablet while playing. I'm getting it, slowly, but i'm getting it. It does require time investment but that doesn't feel like a chore. I bought the whole package specifically to get more small to medium scenarios. Watch/read some AAR's on the smaller scenarios they give a good indication what gameplay is like. There's a lot of info but you don't need to know it all at once and I'm enjoying working my way up the scenario food chain and learning game concepts as i go.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's not as hard as you think, just looks it, alter a few settings and stick at first with the easier battles and you will be fine, then ramp it up when it suits you, as you don't have to go full on right at the start, i haven't still as yet so find it manageable, but once you ramp it up, it will give anyone a challenge if that what you need or want, either way enjoy...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
RSGodfrey

Post by RSGodfrey »

If I had unlimited funds I would buy WITE, WITW and another non-Matrix title which would cost best
part of £200! This is a problem in constrained optimisation with imperfect knowledge - bit like
warfare really.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

The micro-management is not a negative. You don't have to go into THAT much detail.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Jakse

Post by Jakse »

It is mostly counter pushing. The small scenarios are a good set up. Search for Grey Hunter's LP if you want a dated but good AAR.
There are great map mods if you want to tweak the look. That said, if you are all about Stalingrad and on a Beevor or Glantz kick, why not check out Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”