One Heck of a Pilot!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

One Heck of a Pilot!

Post by Footslogger »

Check this out in the dramatic landing in the Netherlands!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/dra ... id=U219DHP

dr.hal

RE: One Heck of a Pilot!

Post by dr.hal »

WOW, that's one plane I wouldn't want to be on! Very skillful indeed. Thanks for sharing. Hal
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

I think B'ham England's airport is a dicey one on a regular basis due to winds as well
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The 777 has a lot of advanced avionics to help with that sort of thing.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Yeah, and some of those avionics can get you in trouble. There was a Lufthansa (I think) pilot landing in Hamburg a while back. In a crosswind near the A/C's performance envelop and he caught a gust just above the runway. It forced the port side wheel to touch the runway (and I think the port wig also contacted the ground slightly). Well the avionics of today take any wheel touchdown as a 'landing' and reduce all inputs from the controls by 50%. This almost made the situation unrecoverable. Fortunately the captain was very experienced and he was able to avoid disaster.

Rusty
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Was it an Airbus or Boeing? Boeing avionics are a lot more pilot friendly. When I was at Boeing I worked in a lab that did engineering test on all the electronics on Boeing commercial aircraft. One of the things the avionics design people did was do extensive interviews with pilots who flew Airbus planes and they noted all the complaints, then made sure all those issues were covered in Boeing designs. Boeing spent millions extra on the 777 addressing some of the complaints with Airbus fly by wire aircraft. (The 777 was Boeing's first fly by wire plane.)

Bill
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Was it an Airbus or Boeing?

Don't recall.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Pilot didn't even spill his beer. well done Image
joey

Post by joey »

I was on a flight that landed very much like this one. It was just after a hurricane passed the area.
Man I would not like to do that again. It was too much like a few "hurricane" patrols in the navy.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Wonder why they even tried to land? You can circle and wait out a thunderstorm. Or go to another airfield.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Was it an Airbus or Boeing? Boeing avionics are a lot more pilot friendly. When I was at Boeing I worked in a lab that did engineering test on all the electronics on Boeing commercial aircraft. One of the things the avionics design people did was do extensive interviews with pilots who flew Airbus planes and they noted all the complaints, then made sure all those issues were covered in Boeing designs. Boeing spent millions extra on the 777 addressing some of the complaints with Airbus fly by wire aircraft. (The 777 was Boeing's first fly by wire plane.)

Bill

Didn't the front of the video say 'Boeing 777'? And considering the ability of the group to detect the incredibly rare WW II aircraft/ship variants I'm surprised one of our subject matter experts hasn't confirmed one way or another.
Bill Goin
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I was asking about rustysi's story. I can't get MSN videos to play on my browser, so I didn't see the video that started this thread.
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I was asking about rustysi's story. I can't get MSN videos to play on my browser, so I didn't see the video that started this thread.

Here you go Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVE2LY2Xqo
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Wonder why they even tried to land? You can circle and wait out a thunderstorm. Or go to another airfield.

I see it was posted 5 days ago. Around about that time there was a huge weather front coving most of NW Europe with high winds that lasted almost two days. If this is that weather front then the pilot had very little choice.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

During WW2, the Aussies were fighting the Japanese on the Kokoda trail, near Kokoda and when it was realized the Japanese had just opened a major offensive at that line, the Aussies realized the only way they might get reinforcements there in time would be to airlift them.

The only cleared area was directly behind the main line of resistance and was on the side of a hill.Too, the field itself was just short of the "normal" length to support Douglas C 47's.

All the same, the Aussies did load C 47's with troops, ready to fight as soon as they touched down, and planes began landing with those troops following the leader.
The pilots had to approach the field, slow down by "sideslipping" and getting off the landing lane as soon as possible.
Then, the planes had to CLIMB the hill in order to take off again..
To keep the weight down, fuel had to already be light on the return trip.

Cannot remember the name of that battle but it is considered the first "airmobile" assault in history.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”