Worth buying?

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Freyr Oakenshield

Worth buying?

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Hi,

So, Commanderski, since you lured me into coming here, by posting in the WitE forum, could you say a few words about this game? [8D]
Is it still alive? Is it possible to build custom scens? campaigns? What is player base for H2H? Still worth buying?

Best,
f
Delaware

RE: Worth buying?

Post by Delaware »

LOL I was lured too! Is it any better than the old Combat Mission: Barbarossa?
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

There is still a demo linked in this thread....

Demo
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

It's similar to the old Combat Mission in that it's not real time and the terrain is based on actual topography of where the combat takes place. I think the AI is far superior to Combat Mission. The graphics in the new update are better than the original but the best thing about this game is the AI. It is based on actual combat doctrine. Especially the Soviet AI, they will attack you based on the way they actually did at that time. It's a bit unnerving to hear hordes of Soviet Infantry screaming and coming out of the woods in human waves if you aren't ready for it. The combat resolution is based on real world environment like Combat Mission where everything is taken into consideration (movement, angle. type of shell, angle of impact...etc).

The campaigns are really good as you need to be careful with what you have as your reinforcements are based on what was available and if you lose too many tanks you have a hard time completing you next mission before you get any reinforcements. There is one campaign that starts at the start of the war and can run through the end...if you last that long. Your troops also receive awards during the campaigns for how they acted in battle (Wound badge, Iron Cross, Order of the Red Star..etc).

It's definitely worth buying. The AI as I said is excellent and you won't be disappointed in that aspect. This game sort of fell by the wayside due to lack of dedicated programmers to continue the updates and upgrades on a continuing basis like some other Matrix games. A few Matrix people have worked on it over the years when they could.

It has a lot of potential for future updates but without dedicated programmers for this game I think they will be few and far between but is really an ecxellent game as it is now.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Hi,

So, Commanderski, since you lured me into coming here, by posting in the WitE forum, could you say a few words about this game? [8D]
Is it still alive? Is it possible to build custom scens? campaigns? What is player base for H2H? Still worth buying?

Best,
f

I'll add just a few things to Commanderskis kind comments. I'm a bit biased, so take that into account when reading any of my comments.

You can create custom scenarios, and there is quite a few options available for you. You can also create your own map, or use one of the maps already created.

You can also create historical campaigns based on a series of actual battles, or you can create random campaigns using one of the built-in templates. And if you want a random campaign with a different set of parameters, you can even create your own custom template and use it to create your random campaign.

You can even mix historical and random by creating a campaign with "key" historical battles, and then letting the system generate random battles between these key historical battles. The battle and campaign generators are very flexible, though you are limited to Germany and Russian sides at this point.

I would certainly try the demo out. It doesn't incorporate the latest patch, but will still give you and idea of how it plays.

Thanks
Rick
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

And another difference from Combat Mission I just thought of. The turns end when the victory conditions are met on either side, there is no time limit for the length of the game. There are gauges on either side of the screen, one for each side that show your progress and can go up or down during the game.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Having had this game for a number of years I actually re-installed it last night and applied the new patch. Fantastic to say the least!

Buy it Freyr, you won't be disappointed. Delaware, I own almost all of the Combat Mission games and love them too. This game has similarities, but the differences are noticeable.

In terms of gameplay I would pick PCO over CM: Barbarossa (I own both and played the crap out of CM: Barbarossa when it came out). For me PCO nails the combat of the Russian front better than CM: Barbarossa did.

Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Thanks for all the information. [:)]
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Agreed. Thank you!
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

i am liking the demo but also comparing it to other games out there like CMX2 and GTOS. One of the complaints when Ostfront was released was it was great for tanks, not so much for infantry. Has that changed in the new patch? Or is that a poor argument?
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Well the name of the game is Panzer Command...[:)] The squads are set up the way they are supposed to be and act accordingly in the way that a squad should act as a team and not individually. You can have individuals of a team go in different directions but will be out of command range and not be as effective as if they were a team. There are 2 - 3 member teams and snipers in the game.

I think some of the earlier complaints were that they couldn't see all of the men in a team which was more for aesthetic purposes rather than game play. I'm pretty sure there are some Infantry based scenarios in there but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

there were some concerns with the infantry model. Some infantry behavior has been improved with the latest patch. Infantry units will now target unbuttoned AFV's and can cause them to button, or inflict a commander damage. This significantly improves the way combined arms is necessary for victory.

Thanks
Rick
budd

Post by budd »

Yea it's worth a buy. The infantry model is all right, but the armor fights are where its at. I haven't played the new CM games as they don't run on my system, so i can't say anything about those but the armor combat in PCO is great. Plus the choice of turn timing's, the order system, SOP's, the LOS system is good, random battle/campaign generator and some really big maps if your system can handle it.

As a side note Rick anything on PCO's continued development?[:D]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I'm afraid I don't have any information on continued development. I had some things come up in January that are continuing to monopolize my spare time. I don't know when they will be resolved.

I would still like to see the series expanded to include other nationalities and fronts.

Thanks
Rick
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Rick

I'm afraid I don't have any information on continued development. I had some things come up in January that are continuing to monopolize my spare time. I don't know when they will be resolved.

I would still like to see the series expanded to include other nationalities and fronts.

Thanks
Rick

Hope things work for you. I was just wondering because you mentioned 2 other people maybe working on the game. I think Matrix is missing the boat on this one, sure it probably needs a new game engine going forward but there is really nothing besides CM for this type of game on the market.

Again i hope everything works out for you, take care.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Rick

Thanks
Rick

Hope things work for you. I was just wondering because you mentioned 2 other people maybe working on the game. I think Matrix is missing the boat on this one, sure it probably needs a new game engine going forward but there is really nothing besides CM for this type of game on the market.

Again i hope everything works out for you, take care.

Thanks for the thoughts. the other 2 folks had other commitments and were not able to continue working on Panzer Command. I will try to free up some time to work on PCO but no promises, and I wouldn't expect anything in the short term.

Thanks
Rick
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

I would love a follow up to this series in the future also as i play this and APOS more than the CM games these days.
What i would have to demand for the next game though is 1:1 infantry representation :)
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I would take a little better infantry combat system over 1:1. I too hope that there is still a future for this series.
Thanks for all the work Rick.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: M J R

I would love a follow up to this series in the future also as i play this and APOS more than the CM games these days.
What i would have to demand for the next game though is 1:1 infantry representation :)

I think there have been some mods to increase the sprite ratio, but I don't think they went all the way to 1:1.

Thanks
Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

I would take a little better infantry combat system over 1:1. I too hope that there is still a future for this series.
Thanks for all the work Rick.

You're welcome!

Did you have any specific improvements for the infantry combat system you had in mind?

Thanks
Rick

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”