2 questions before i buy

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Hoernerice

2 questions before i buy

Post by Hoernerice »

first hi all =)

i saw the tut videos and think i need to own it, but before i bought it i saw..no ai and that price... so i have 2 questions related to this.

1. when i play vs an other human player, do i have to be online at the same time?
2. is there an api so i can try to do my own ai?

thx for the answers
Fight like the best,
Die like the rest.
paulderynck

RE: 2 questions before i buy

Post by paulderynck »

1. I'd say yes. However some folks here have been sending game files back and forth supplemented by "standing instructions" and/or emailing questions back and forth about interceptions, which planes will fight in a certain circumstance, and many other interactive issues that can come up in a game turn - and there are a great deal of those. But they are reporting satisfaction with their "ad hoc PBEM" play. For online play there really isn't a working in-game system yet. That's what "NetPlay" is but if you check the forums here you'll see NetPlay is not yet functional. That leaves screen-sharing programs like Teamviewer, which are used at your own risk.

2. No.
Paul
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: Hoernerice

first hi all =)

i saw the tut videos and think i need to own it, but before i bought it i saw..no ai and that price... so i have 2 questions related to this.

1. when i play vs an other human player, do i have to be online at the same time?
2. is there an api so i can try to do my own ai?

thx for the answers

A scripted AI was suggested but rejected.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
palne

Post by palne »

Trying to write your own AI would be a journey for Don Quixote....In my opinion, and I used to work for SSI, there is no possible way to write an feasible AI until you have played dozens upon dozens of games--and each game takes at least 40 hours of game time.

The game is worth the money because the mechanics have been refined for 30+ years as a table-top game.

And the computer setup takes 1 hour instead of 8! That alone made me want to buy it.

Play by emailing saves works. I want to try to play by skype though and desktop sharing. I think this would be the best way to teach new players as well. This game can have some unforgiving aspects to it...Example: start your amphib production as soon as it is possible, or you could end up with an army that can't attack Japan or Germany....[:-]

Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: palne
Trying to write your own AI would be a journey for Don Quixote....In my opinion, and I used to work for SSI, there is no possible way to write an feasible AI until you have played dozens upon dozens of games--and each game takes at least 40 hours of game time.

The game is worth the money because the mechanics have been refined for 30+ years as a table-top game.

And the computer setup takes 1 hour instead of 8! That alone made me want to buy it.

Play by emailing saves works. I want to try to play by skype though and desktop sharing. I think this would be the best way to teach new players as well. This game can have some unforgiving aspects to it...Example: start your amphib production as soon as it is possible, or you could end up with an army that can't attack Japan or Germany....

After eight years in development there would have been a primitive AI if scripting had been implemented.

The whole idea for suggesting scripting was to provide a temporary AI. You could then build upon the scripting for a more permanent AI.

If you think about some of the computer games in the past (Doom, Baldurs Gate, and etc.) which allowed users to to create their own mods. I believe the game would have attracted a crowd just to create their own scripts.

A group of gamers providing scripted modules would provide the numerous games necessary to provide a good AI that you correctly address.

As an experienced gamer I hope you will agree with me that gaming against yourself is self defeating. A gamer would always be prejudiced to one side or the other.

A question on your Setup. Do you do you still setup each unit and convoy? If you don't you can thank the Beta test teams for requesting an easier setup.

SSI provided good games I have owned several [;)]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Return to “World in Flames”