My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

ETF

RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

Post by ETF »

Good points to the discussion- as always operating!
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Symple

Post by Symple »

This is an interesting discussion on so many levels. It is a shame the name of the thread is not relevant to the discourse.
Almost all of my pbem games are one turn a day to three turns a weeks. A few are one turn a week. What I like is the opportunity to play each opponent in their time. When I first come to a complex game like End All Wars I sometimes take two hours for a move. As I learn the game this time reduces to 20 to 40 minutes, but the deal is, without the time pressure of live play or required turns, solid play emerges.
operating

Post by operating »

How does the "replay" function work in this game? Is it similar to the way a CTGW turn starts? Honestly I'm still plowing away at the manual, haven't even tried to play the game yet... What I am getting at is: Sometimes I forget what has occurred during the last turn if several days have gone by.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
STUCKER868

Post by STUCKER868 »

I have been following this thread for some time and thought I would put in my two cents. I own several AGEOD products. Some are good, some are not. This game to me belongs in the NOT GOOD category. Why? Because for one thing, I don't feel the "Container" style system works well with WW1, any era requiring an uninterrupted front. It works great with the ancient period however. I admit that the complexity of this game put me off for awhile (I am too busy in RL to learn all the rules in one sitting) but I finally have been getting in some play. I am not happy with this product and in fact quite disappointed (as I was with Napoleon's Campaigns).

I don't think this game captures the feel of WW1. The great offensives, massive artillery bombardments, etc. What I do see are Death stacks running around carving up territory. I cut off all of Western Russia by driving three death stacks to Warsaw from the North and South and crushed the Russian troops therein. Pincer movements like that were not done in WW1 (especially on that scale).

I think it would help if somehow during battles you could change plans as the battle developed rather than just sit back and watch helplessly.

The A.I. is clueless as well (as in most games but I won't complain because it is what it is. Sadly for me, I don't have time for multiplayer games. My loss.

I think one thing that would help as least capture the visual feel would be to do away with the Commander icons (containers) and use NATO icons. Even doing that however will not fix that fact (at least for me) that this game lacks the feel of the Great War era. Can you imagine how bad it would be to play this system in the WWII era?

Just my opinion. The game engine simply does not pair well with WW1.

I know the developers put a lot into this and it's probably a labor of love. My hats off to them as always.

S.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Poland wasn't overrun in a single month in 1915 with 400,000 Russian dead and 750,000 Russians captured?

While the type of encirclements seen in WWII did not occur the Eastern front was much more fluid and dynamic than its Western cousin. Nothing should stop a pincer action from occurring and in fact the Russian High command ordered the great retreat of 1915 to avoid that fate.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

I really like the AGEOD games. Once you figure out how they work that is. Need to start with the earlier games to get the the system down pat then work your way up to the more demanding ones.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

wodin

Post by wodin »

Some engines don't suit certain genres or in this case Wars\Period. WW1 being a tale of different styles of War during different periods and sometimes even at the same time but location dependent i.e the difference between the East front and West Front makes it very difficult I feel to try and get an engine previously designed for another War\Period to work well..WW1 needs an engine that was designed specifically for the War. That's why I find WW1Gold manages to accomplish the different War periods fairly well, far better than most other WW1 games. I really wanted this game to work well as it has some aspects I prefer esp from an immersive point of view that WW1Gold doesn't but those features really aren't worth the negatives of the engine.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I might recommend RUS Gold. I still don't understand the intricacies of the RCW, but the game is fun and AI pretty aggressive.
The "fronts" are also wide open, which I guess plays to the strength of the engine?

OTOH, Spanish Civil War is like an AGEOD tutorial scenario; short, simple and pretty much unsupported and forgotten.

Return to “To End All Wars Series”