What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

vebyw

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by vebyw »

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. I finished Andy Weir's The Martian earlier this year. It's great!
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden in de Tweede Wereldoorlog (paperback edition)
http://www.niod.nl/nl/koninkrijk

and some time playing
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/390 ... w.to.Paris.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

The Arctic Convoy book is on hold at the moment. The Winter War (William R Trotter) arrived last weekend and is proving unputdownable [:)]

Not a 5-star book by any means (defo a solid 4) as there are a few niggles:

- Not enough maps to identify the areas being fought over.
- No detailed OOB on the units involved as an appendix.

But for anyone who knows little to nothing of this war, then the book is sufficiently detailed to enable the reader to gain a real understanding of what happened, when etc.

Just as importantly I like the writers style of presenting the subject. He is clear in his approach - sometimes there is an element of repetition but that is not the biggest crime in the world - and overall this is a very easy book to read.

If you know nothing of this war, this book is thoroughly recommended. If anyone knows of a more detailed tome I would be interested to hear.
warspite1

Finished this at the weekend. Pleased to say it maintained its quality throughout.

Now for a change of scene.

Following on from reading about Vichy France earlier this year I am embarking on England's Last War Against France. Not sure how far I will get with this. The title is absolutely bizarre - I believe its a Briton that has written the book so no idea what that is all about.

Having read the Prologue and Chapter 1, I have found myself laughing out loud a couple of times (embarrassing when on the train). The narrative is soooo one sided. Everything the British do is rubbish and inadequate and generally naff, while the French are all heroes personified.

Mmmmmm......
warspite1

Well I've got to say my view on this book has changed somewhat!

After a "dodgy" start, the book have settled down and is actually a really readable tome. It is useful that I recently read the book on Vichy France as a lot of the characters - that would otherwise be unknown to me - are clear in my mind as to where they fit into the Vichy set-up.

Which ever way you slice it the whole Vichy thing was just so unfortunate for all concerned.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
british exil

Post by british exil »

Just finished Bernhard Cornwell's Waterloo. An enjoyable read. Didn't really know much about the battle. the book is easy to read and does bring out the confusion and killing that happened on such a small battlefield.

Bought it last year and wanted to read it then. Real life stopped me. But due to the 200 year anniversary I thought I should do the honours.

Reflecting on what happened there makes me shudder to think how terrible battle was back then. At least most commanders were on the field and experienced the same as the lowly soldier.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
loki100

Post by loki100 »

must confess having finished 21C steampunk with fallen angels, nuclear weapons and so on, was inspired to go back to a classic 17C steampunk with falling angels, speaking serpents and so on ... so rereading Milton's work of beauty and lunacy: Paradise Lost
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

A Time for Truth: Reigniting the promise of America. By Ted Cruz

Even though I'm a Scott Walker fan, this book is awesome! I highly recommend it!
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I ordered "The Big Short" about the financial crash a few days back, with a view to reading it at some point in the future. Having arrived, I then made the mistake of just checking the first page (to gauge the writing style of the author)..... Big mistake. I cannot now put this down. I am going to have to dovetail this and the book on the war with Vichy now [&:]

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Warspite

Anything by Michael Lewis is a page turner. "Liar's Poker" was published a while ago, but is a wonderful book. They are all good, including his sports books.

Chuck
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Has anyone got any recommendations for books on:

The Cold War
and
Vietnam

I am looking for a good quality book that gives an overview of the periods concerned.

These are for a teenager and I therefore want nothing "dry" but then not Janet and John either.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

For Vietnam, I'd recommend a novel (yes, it's a novel, but it's very well written and engrossing) "The 13th Valley" by John M. Del vecchio. I read it as a teenager and it was memorable.

For a counterhistorical account, I still really like "Unheralded Victory" by Mark Woodruff, about how the Americans had eviscerated the VC and related South Vietnamese guerrilla movements post-Tet 1968. It explains how Tet was a massive military disaster for the North and only really a PR gain. It also tries to separate the improving military tide of battle with the deteriorating home front version of events in the late 1960s-early 1970s. It makes one look anew at how "the war really can be lost at home".
wodin

Post by wodin »

Chicken Boy..13th Valley is easy my favourite Vietnam novel infact I'd have it in the top 3 War novels I've read. First read it when I was 13..read it a few times since. Egan is hard as nails!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

For Vietnam, I think that Stanley Karnow's Vietnam: A History was a pretty good overview:

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-History-S ... EZNEV7TGZR
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

@Warspite

Anything by Michael Lewis is a page turner. "Liar's Poker" was published a while ago, but is a wonderful book. They are all good, including his sports books.

Chuck
warspite1

I suspect I will have to get Liar's Poker after this. Such a good book!!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Has anyone got any recommendations for books on:

The Cold War
and
Vietnam

I am looking for a good quality book that gives an overview of the periods concerned.

These are for a teenager and I therefore want nothing "dry" but then not Janet and John either.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

For Vietnam, I'd recommend a novel (yes, it's a novel, but it's very well written and engrossing) "The 13th Valley" by John M. Del vecchio. I read it as a teenager and it was memorable.

For a counterhistorical account, I still really like "Unheralded Victory" by Mark Woodruff, about how the Americans had eviscerated the VC and related South Vietnamese guerrilla movements post-Tet 1968. It explains how Tet was a massive military disaster for the North and only really a PR gain. It also tries to separate the improving military tide of battle with the deteriorating home front version of events in the late 1960s-early 1970s. It makes one look anew at how "the war really can be lost at home".
warspite1

I went for The Vietnam War: A concise International History

and the Gladdis book:

The Cold War: A New History.

Both seem to be coming from the States for some reason - so won't be here until the first week in August [:@]

Oh well - at least this will give me time to finish my current books so that I can read these with my elder little warspite [:)].

Orm

Post by Orm »

I am currently reading The Ill-Made Knight by Christian Cameron.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/14091375 ... 1437901669

Attachments
51dfRlqZu..203200_.jpg
51dfRlqZu..203200_.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Finishing up Napoleon's Wars: An International History by Charles Esdaile.

Focuses on the international and internal politics, economies, and important figures of the major powers and some of the satellite states. Not so much a military recounting of the period although there is a little focus on certain battles which tie into the political affairs.

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Wars-An ... 0143116282

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Currently reading Sara King's most excellent character based sci-fi series, The Legend of Zero. A very refreshing approach to military Sci-Fi that doesn't try to explain or theorize on every weapon and technology. It is all about the story and extensive character development. When I finished the first novel, Forging Zero, I was actually crying over Zero's lost comrades! It really got to me. Sara is definitely one of new favorite writers.

http://www.amazon.com/Forging-Zero-Lege ... B00BTKA42Y
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Finishing up Napoleon's Wars: An International History by Charles Esdaile.

Focuses on the international and internal politics, economies, and important figures of the major powers and some of the satellite states. Not so much a military recounting of the period although there is a little focus on certain battles which tie into the political affairs.

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Wars-An ... 0143116282

Just bought it. For $2.99, just can't pass it by.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I am currently reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

It is a good read Aurelian. I think you will be happy with the purchase. [:)]
british exil

Post by british exil »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Currently reading Sara King's most excellent character based sci-fi series, The Legend of Zero. A very refreshing approach to military Sci-Fi that doesn't try to explain or theorize on every weapon and technology. It is all about the story and extensive character development. When I finished the first novel, Forging Zero, I was actually crying over Zero's lost comrades! It really got to me. Sara is definitely one of new favorite writers.

http://www.amazon.com/Forging-Zero-Lege ... B00BTKA42Y

Just been reading a bit of it on Amazon.

Looks like I am going to have another holiday book, looks interesting.

Thanks for the post.

Mat

Edit: Ordered!!
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “General Discussion”