making cavalry scouts and other queries

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Agathosdaimon

making cavalry scouts and other queries

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Hi!
loving the game so far but just some little queries:

will there be a way, or is there a way to detach just a smaller unit of riders so as to use them as scouts? currently it seems the who squadron cannot be broken down at all, which makes the commitment of a whole squadron to scouting seemingly unwieldy to do and i am not sure if historically scouts would be in such a large visible mass

also regarding spotting - is this automatic? or does it depend on the degree of cover of the unit and or the spotting ability of the other - is that factored in? the maps are big enough and varied enough in terrain that reconnaissance is vital

also, some maps have some bodies of water in them which units seem to have no reaction to and they walk right into them - in particular on one map the unit went into the deep pond and because it was so deep i couldn't figure out who it was and also could not select the flag, -and it was in the thick of a battle for the map was of no help in this instance to allow me to see whether i had selected the right unity via other means
Agathosdaimon

RE: making cavalry scouts and other queries

Post by Agathosdaimon »

so my questions were bad ones?
con20or

Post by con20or »

If you are comfortable modding, the 'split battalion' command works for cavalry as well as for infantry but we did not provide the split battalion command for the cavalry toolbars because we intended its use for infantry skirmishers only.

spotting depends on a number of things but i cannot remember them all. The time of day is one but I am not sure if that is set in a scenario file. I know in some of our ACW Chancellorsville scenarios we had variable visibility. LOS is also influenced by elevations, obviously. One of the other team members might be able to fill us in on what counts as LOS obstructions.

If a unit walks into deepwater it automatically keeps moving to get out of it. This can be slow particularly if it presses on - which is good if it is a river, but bad if it is a lake. They are good to have on your flanks to keep the enemy from coming at you quickly.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Thanks for your reply! unfortunately i dont know how to do any of the modding but it sounds like the split battalion option for cavalry would be not too difficult to switch on for cavalry as the button option is already there, yes?
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

The split command is on the Cavalry Stand Context Menu. Split 50 works only due to the small squadron sizes.

Hopefully those lakes of doom will be addressed in a patch.
Designer - Scourge of War

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”