Book recommendation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Capitaine

Book recommendation

Post by Capitaine »

Can anyone recommend the best book on the Japanese angle of the War in the Pacific. My attempt to find one seems to suggest Toland's book, or one of several general histories of the war which don't specifically analyze the Japanese viewpoint. It seems as though in this day and age something comprehensive on this subject should exist, but I don't really see what I'm looking for. I figured if anyone knows it would be in this forum. Thanks in advance.
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: Book recommendation

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

"Kaigun" is a very good starting point for the IJN.
"Shattered sword "is limited to Midway, but still a very good Japanese point of view...

Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941 Paperback – Sep 15 2012
by David C. Evans (Author), Mark R. Peattie (Author)

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway Paperback – Nov 1 2007
by Jon Parshall (Author)
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Thanks for the recommendations Jorge, although I know of Shattered Sword I was looking for something more than a book on Midway (I have a new Midway book I'm waiting to read), or even just the Japanese Navy. I'd like something on the Army as well -- the entire military enterprise from the invasion of China through the end of the war. Something comprehensive, like we have a lot of for Nazi Germany. Kaigun sounds interesting, although the naval focus and end date of 1941 might limit it for me.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

The Toland book is good.

You might try this: Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy by Eri Hotta.
I’ve not read this yet but I’ve heard it is good and I want to read it if I can find the time.
Sorry, I’m way behind in my reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Japan-1941-Countd ... X83Q7J4102

BookTV interview with Eri Hotta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdGF93w3TgY

I have read this and I recommend it: Fire In The Sky by Eric Bergerud.
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sky-Air-Sout ... in+the+sky
The first chapter gives lots of insight into Japanese strategic thinking.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Maybe Toland's book is the one I want. My thought was that it might be dated without some of the latest information that's been revealed. Maybe not...
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I think one problem with finding a good one from the Japanese point of view is that they still have a lot of things to deny happened at all or happened in the way they did. Germany mostly came clean.

There ought to be some good stuff from the IJN point of view since they kept their hands relatively clean. Also on industry and on things like the strategic bombing campaign.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Chemkid: My copies are the same and look just about identical!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Thanks to all for your input. I went ahead and ordered The Rising Sun since that was my initial thought and it received solid support here. I also ordered Fire in the Sky based on Trugrit's recommendation and b/c it was pretty inexpensive (and I needed a little more in my order to qualify for free shipping lol).

What I know about the Pacific War is mainly from the American POV and based on their (our) moves. I have little knowledge of the Japanese offensive thinking and plans, so I really needed to flesh this out. Hopefully this will give me the insight I need into Japan's strategic concerns and military operations.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”