Steel Panthers Game ?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

operating

Steel Panthers Game ?

Post by operating »

Steel Panthers: World at War - Generals Edition
Release Date: 22 JUN 2000

Platform: PC
Language: English
Genre: Tactical
Turns: Turn-Based IGOUGO
Complexity: Intermediate
Period: World War II

Developer
Matrix Games
Been seeing the name of the above game being passed around the threads here in a positive way, but I do not know much about it . The first thing that took me by surprise: Is that the game is 15 years old and the asking price is close to $50.00 (I like boxed editions), yheeee! I thought, kinda steep for the old boy. Have been leaning towards more tactical type games Battle Academy- Kursk for one (but read today that Slitherine is going to discontinue game development, which to me means the end of full support of the BA games, bad news, plus I just missed a sale). But what seems to be in the wind is a remake of SPWaW and from what I could see of the game interface, it sure looks like it needs a fair amount of upgrading. What I have not heard is: How close is this new version to happening? Or, is a pipe dream? What else is of interest to me : Is the game is IGOUGO and is intermediate complexity, plus worldwide theaters Europe and Pacific (which does not sound all that simple to me, likely on the high end of intermediate). So if anybody has any news of this game being Re-Released anytime soon let myself and others know, I'd certainly like to jump on it then.. Thanks
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Kuokkanen

RE: Steel Panthers Game ?

Post by Kuokkanen »

SPWAW is available for free. Just download it, install (remember patches) and play. Generals Edition adds Mega Campaigns: only those cost the money. I let someone else tell about the Mega Campaigns.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

Matti is right... the free version will keep you busy for years!

You can visit the Depot and Enhanced websites for the latest mods.
The game comes with a series of 9 (?) tutorials and a PDF manual.
The Depot (www.spwaw.com) has a free academy with instructors which will teach you more.
The Enhanced site (http://enhanced.freeforums.org/) has more advanced courses, also free.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Would like to see them doing another platform as Steel Panthers with today technology, but it doesn't look like it going to happen. I did enjoy playing those games back in the 90's.
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Errrrrr.

tm.asp?m=3885806

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Matt R

Post by Matt R »

^^^ Beat me to it.