Wish List

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Freyr Oakenshield

RE: Wish List

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
If you look at the leading hex-based computer wargames, none save TOAW use in-hex rivers. It's just difficult to believe hexside rivers can't be added to a new version here, at least as a scenario designer's option.

I second that. No boardgames known to me put rivers in the middle of a hex... IMO, there should at least be an option like that for designers of future scenarios.

Avalon Hill's Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, for starters? Advanced Squad Leader too as I recall. You said boardgames right [:)]

I meant "computer" board games [:-] - TOAW, JT's/HPS's Campaigns, SSG's Decisive Battles, Decisive Campaigns, JT's Campaign Series - they are technically "board games," as there is a board with hexes, and counters you move. Anyway, except for TOAW, none of them have got rivers in the middle of hexes...

edit:
Not to mention: GG's WitE...

edit2:
or should I have said: computerised board games [:)]

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Well you said what you said [:)]

Oh there were Avalon Hill (card) board games with hex side rivers too. So there. And they do count. Classics.

I quite like the TOAW mid hex rivers by the way. TOAW is unique in many other ways too so why not here. So I guess this is one vote to keep them where they are. Of course this is a wish list, so what I was mostly pointing out was that mid hex rivers are not a rarity as such.

If the dev team manages to support both why not.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

The in-hex rivers could be made to work if the effects were reversed. If you ask me, the unit that is actually in the river hex should be able to determine how the river will affect the battle. Right now it seems like the unit in the dry land gets to decide.

So, river hexes should provide a defensive bonus, because the unit in the river hex would obviously position themselves behind the river when preparing to defend. There should NOT be a penalty for attacking out of a river hex, because the attacker would never position themselves behind the river. It wouldn't even be possible to attack a unit in a different hex with direct fire, since you would have to be firing at a range of at least half the scale of a hex.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

The in-hex rivers could be made to work if the effects were reversed. If you ask me, the unit that is actually in the river hex should be able to determine how the river will affect the battle. Right now it seems like the unit in the dry land gets to decide.

So, river hexes should provide a defensive bonus, because the unit in the river hex would obviously position themselves behind the river when preparing to defend. There should NOT be a penalty for attacking out of a river hex, because the attacker would never position themselves behind the river. It wouldn't even be possible to attack a unit in a different hex with direct fire, since you would have to be firing at a range of at least half the scale of a hex.

That's similar to item 3.2 in the wishlist. River hexes could be made better for a little effort. River hexsides seem too expensive for a dubious benefit. I just don't see the case for them. For that amount of effort we could get better stuff.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

More than two sides per scenario. I like what Command does and you add pretty much as many sides as you need (Red, Blue, Green, neutral, whatever) and set their 'attitude' to each other (enemy, unfriendly, neutral, allied, etc.). Bonus for events allowing side-specific attitude changes.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

That's pretty much irrelevant IMO - if you want to "defend the river" you put your units in whatever position gives that advantage. Whether that be "in" the river hex or adjacent to it doesn't really matter - both sides get to decide when a river affects combat - one by "adopting the position", the other by attacking it..
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
River hexes could be made better for a little effort. River hexsides seem too expensive for a dubious benefit. I just don't see the case for them. For that amount of effort we could get better stuff.

I think the linked thread from 2007 lays out the case for them, I won't repeat it here.

And the amount of effort? It sounds like a patch was coded years ago...

Any "fix" does not account for the basic fact that a unit is generally on one side of the river or the other, while this is not true of a unit in a (potentially 50 km wide) river hex.

It might be helpful if you could explain how to properly defend a bridge with in-hex rivers, because right now I don't get it; to defend a bridge I'm supposed to occupy the river hex (with no defensive bonus for the river), which makes the unit stick out of the defending line, without any benefits from the river, rendering the defender very vulnerable. If the defender doesn't occupy the bridge hex, the attacker can just waltz in and take it. Doesn't make any sense to me...

SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

So don't defend the bridge - destroy it an make the other guy pay extra movement to attack you!!
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

If hex side rivers are off the table, then I guess it doesn't really matter if you change the attack/defend properties of the hex. The current method has the advantage of many scenarios designed with this method in mind, and also seems to fit in well with the idea of using engineers' ferry ability, bridge repair, etc.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
So don't defend the bridge - destroy it an make the other guy pay extra movement to attack you!!

Seems like an artificial solution to me, maybe I don't want to destroy the bridge?
The current method has the advantage of many scenarios designed with this method in mind, and also seems to fit in well with the idea of using engineers' ferry ability, bridge repair, etc.
I'm starting to feel rather dense, because I really don't understand the arguments people are putting forth for in-hex rivers. Sure, the existing scenarios all use in-hex rivers, and no one is suggesting getting rid of them--that would be problematic. But why not also provide hex-side rivers for future scenarios?

Regarding engineers, I don't understand why you need to have in-hex rivers to have engineers ferry and repair bridges? PzC also has these features with hex-side rivers, and it works just fine.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

circling through the entrained units is only possible if you actually disembark them.

Not true, The Dot/Period button on the keyboard will bring you to an embarked unit, you move it, hit the dot again to advance to the next embarked unit. Or don't move it and it disembarks. Easy peasy.
Freyr Oakenshield

I beg you, make it possible to save during PBEM. It will greatly facilitate the playing of monster scenarios such as FitE.[&o]

?? You can do that now.

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
circling through the entrained units is only possible if you actually disembark them.

Not true, The Dot/Period button on the keyboard will bring you to an embarked unit, you move it, hit the dot again to advance to the next embarked unit. Or don't move it and it disembarks. Easy peasy.

This truly is an amazing thread! It's only two pages long and I've already learnt two new things about TOAW I didn't even know existed, even though I've been playing the game for 16 ys now...[:D]
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm starting to feel rather dense...

Maybe just a little bit because I'm not arguing in favor of in hex rivers. [:)]

You took one sentence from my post and quoted it completely out of context.
That post was about the idea of reversing the effects of river hexes, as compared to leaving the rules alone.
Notice I started with "if hex side rivers are off the table", because hex side rivers are my first choice.
But they do seem to be off the table from what I have seen so far.
LOK32MK

RE: Wish List - Exclusiion zones?

Post by LOK32MK »

Is there any possibility of increasing the number of exclusion zones? It would be helpful in bigger scenarios with several countries that start as neutral. Honor rules work OK right now but more exclusion zones would make it easier/better.
Thank you
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

If you look at the leading hex-based computer wargames, none save TOAW use in-hex rivers. It's just difficult to believe hexside rivers can't be added to a new version here, at least as a scenario designer's option.

I second that. No boardgames known to me put rivers in the middle of a hex... IMO, there should at least be an option like that for designers of future scenarios.

Avalon Hill's Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, for starters? Advanced Squad Leader too as I recall. You said boardgames right [:)]

Those are all tactical games where being "in" a stream/gully hex actually has significance to LOS and defense. Operational or strategic games do not use in-hex watercourses.
Freyr Oakenshield

RE: Wish List - Exclusiion zones?

How about improving the map designing part for scenario designers. What I mean is expanding the editor so that it allows importing e.g. .jpg/bmp files. Then this could be worked at. For example, the editor could allow superimposing a transparent hexgrid on the map, allowing the designer to easily draw the map, using the TOAW terrain palette, and the like...

In fact, there was an old program which did similar things, like importing, setting the scale, etc, then drawing the map, or rather two programs. One was rather simple written in PASCAL, if I remember correctly, and it allowed calculating the coordinates of the centres of hexes within a given area. The other one was more like a Win application, and it allowed file importing, scale setting, hex size selecting, and so on. But these programs are old and probably not always work on modern systems, and probably are rather inaccessible but for the chosen few, and probably no one really is aware of their existence but the toughest and oldest grognards here...

Why not improving and facilitating map drawing somehow...? Make it more accessible for the masses.
josant

Post by josant »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

More than two sides per scenario. I like what Command does and you add pretty much as many sides as you need (Red, Blue, Green, neutral, whatever) and set their 'attitude' to each other (enemy, unfriendly, neutral, allied, etc.). Bonus for events allowing side-specific attitude changes.

+1, this would be wonderfull.
JA
Freyr Oakenshield

Those are all tactical games where being "in" a stream/gully hex actually has significance to LOS and defense. Operational or strategic games do not use in-hex watercourses.

True.

PS
though I have a strange feeling that somebody will come up with a counterexample in no time [8|]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

River hexes could be made better for a little effort. River hexsides seem too expensive for a dubious benefit. I just don't see the case for them. For that amount of effort we could get better stuff.

I think the linked thread from 2007 lays out the case for them, I won't repeat it here.

It also laid out the case against them. I gather I will have to repeat it here.

What that consisted of and what became of it, no one knows.

For sure, this will be an expensive change. It requires unique graphics that no other tile has (hexside display). It requires that bridge blowing, bridge attacks, bridge repair, ferry support, and riverine movement will all have to be devised for hexside implementation. Each of those implementations will have to have UI mechanisms devised for them.

And what do we get for that? For all existing scenarios, nothing. Even for that small fraction of existing scenarios that can expect future designer revision, the answer is still probably nothing. What designers will rip out the river hexes from their maps to replace them with hexside rivers? Few if any. Only a fraction of brand new scenarios will even employ hexside rivers. What benefits will they enjoy from them? A x0.7 attack multiplier will be applied in a slightly different place. Whether that is an improvement or not is dubious.

What do we lose for switching to hexside rivers? The transverse benefits of rivers. Rivers meander and have oxbow lakes (see attached). That gives them a transverse benefit just like an entrenchment does by zig-zagging. River hexes have those benefits. Hexside rivers don’t. Rivers really can be thought of as occupying an area. An enemy unit can be on the same side of the river as its friendly target and yet still have a wide meander between them.
Any "fix" does not account for the basic fact that a unit is generally on one side of the river or the other, while this is not true of a unit in a (potentially 50 km wide) river hex.

That isn’t a “basic fact” but a basic fallacy. Contested front lines do not, in general, follow river boundaries . Bridgeheads do not start out 2.5 km long, much less 50km. In the real world, operational sized units will be on one side of the river in some places while being on the other side in others.
It might be helpful if you could explain how to properly defend a bridge with in-hex rivers, because right now I don't get it; to defend a bridge I'm supposed to occupy the river hex (with no defensive bonus for the river), which makes the unit stick out of the defending line, without any benefits from the river, rendering the defender very vulnerable. If the defender doesn't occupy the bridge hex, the attacker can just waltz in and take it. Doesn't make any sense to me…

Most scenarios expect the player to defend every hex tooth-and-nail. The front line will gradually advance to the river, onto the river, and beyond the river. In that process, the 0.7 multiplier will be received at some point (exactly the same for river hexes as for hexside rivers). Generally, even if there is the margin to abandon a defense line (suffering disengagement in the process) to fall back to anything, other terrain will be superior to any river line and will trump such considerations.

Nevertheless, if the changes in the Wishlist item 3.2 are made, then defenders could receive the river benefit while ON the river hex, not behind it. That change would impact all existing scenarios, by the way.

Coding time is precious. Graphic Designer time is expensive. We have to be judicious in our employment of them. Changes must make cost/benefit sense.

Attachments
95147b27de..d233f595.jpg
95147b27de..d233f595.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 256 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Freyr Oakenshield

It also laid out the case against them. I gather I will have to repeat it here.

What that consisted of and what became of it, no one knows.

For sure, this will be an expensive change. It requires unique graphics that no other tile has (hexside display). It requires that bridge blowing, bridge attacks, bridge repair, ferry support, and riverine movement will all have to be devised for hexside implementation. Each of those implementations will have to have UI mechanisms devised for them.

And what do we get for that? For all existing scenarios, nothing. Even for that small fraction of existing scenarios that can expect future designer revision, the answer is still probably nothing. What designers will rip out the river hexes from their maps to replace them with hexside rivers? Few if any. Only a fraction of brand new scenarios will even employ hexside rivers. What benefits will they enjoy from them? A x0.7 attack multiplier will be applied in a slightly different place. Whether that is an improvement or not is dubious.

What do we lose for switching to hexside rivers? The transverse benefits of rivers. Rivers meander and have oxbow lakes (see attached). That gives them a transverse benefit just like an entrenchment does by zig-zagging. River hexes have those benefits. Hexside rivers don’t. Rivers really can be thought of as occupying an area. An enemy unit can be on the same side of the river as its friendly target and yet still have a wide meander between them.

That isn’t a “basic fact” but a basic fallacy. Contested front lines do not, in general, follow river boundaries . Bridgeheads do not start out 2.5 km long, much less 50km. In the real world, operational sized units will be on one side of the river in some places while being on the other side in others.
It might be helpful if you could explain how to properly defend a bridge with in-hex rivers, because right now I don't get it; to defend a bridge I'm supposed to occupy the river hex (with no defensive bonus for the river), which makes the unit stick out of the defending line, without any benefits from the river, rendering the defender very vulnerable. If the defender doesn't occupy the bridge hex, the attacker can just waltz in and take it. Doesn't make any sense to me…

Most scenarios expect the player to defend every hex tooth-and-nail. The front line will gradually advance to the river, onto the river, and beyond the river. In that process, the 0.7 multiplier will be received at some point (exactly the same for river hexes as for hexside rivers). Generally, even if there is the margin to abandon a defense line (suffering disengagement in the process) to fall back to anything, other terrain will be superior to any river line and will trump such considerations.

Nevertheless, if the changes in the Wishlist item 3.2 are made, then defenders could receive the river benefit while ON the river hex, not behind it. That change would impact all existing scenarios, by the way.

Coding time is precious. Graphic Designer time is expensive. We have to be judicious in our employment of them. Changes must make cost/benefit sense.

That convinces me. Let's move on...

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”