Internet Explorer Failing with patches/game

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Tim41

Internet Explorer Failing with patches/game

Post by Tim41 »

Hi:
I have had the 1.03 version of the game loaded for some time and it's been working fine. I tried everything to get 2.02 working, but the game will not open even with a clean application over a fresh install. I uninstall the game, reload it and try and apply the patch with WinRAR, but now the game is unstable. Any ideas? My favorite game...really important to me. Please help! Internet Explorer stops running when I try and reload the 1.03 patch.
Tim41

RE: Internet Explorer Failing with patches/game

Post by Tim41 »

Internet Explorer starts to fail, flashing on and off. Even if it's working...the screen shifts, pauses in the middle of a movement. It's really weird.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Where do you install the game to, and what OS do you run? I don't use IE any more for many years now, first Firefox, now Google Chrome for many years now. Not sure why IE would fail while playing the game? When you installed 2.02, did you install first a clean game, then the patch? We need more info please!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

Originally, it was installed when bought automatically with Installsheild (I have the disk). The little shield was on the game shortcut (not now). I used the 1.03 Official patch and it worked for a long time-no problems. I use Revo Uninstaller to get it out and then CCleaner, but surprisingly, there were still some Rising Sun stuff in the Matrix Folder. I'm using Internet Explorer to install the program (even turned off Kaspersky)-not the Autorun directly. My computer guys says I should use IE instead of the Autorun provided by the game.
Should I try to reinstall with the games Autorun? The 1.03 works and is fine...if I can just get back to where I was.
Now, the game kicks me out. Vehicles pause in movement. The screen shifts slightly. It's getting worse and worse. The 1.03 patch is being unloaded as a zip because IE starts flashing and the system seems about to crash. I reloaded it again and it's already acting up.
I'll unload it again using Revo Uninstaller..and await your advice. It was working great for months with no problem when the little shield dohicky was there. Sorry, I'm not the best with computers, but I'm helping play test Tiller's Wolfpack....

Sorry using Windows 7 Professional
-trrying to run as administrator now
Yes-I did try 2.02 over a clean install. No go. Program won't open.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I'd recommend using Firefox or Chrome.

Next, I'd install the game from scratch.

Next, go here: 2.02 DOWNLOAD

UNZIP that package.

Double click the EXE, let it install.

If the game still doesn't run, do the following here: INFORMATIVE POST

That should get it working.

Jason Petho
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

I've loaded it again with IE and am trying again to get the 2.02 update on it through the game updates section. It says it's loading 2.02. I bet when I click on one of the games, it won't do anything.
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

OK-Firefox I don't use, but I will follow your instructions and try Chrome.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Tim41

I've loaded it again with IE and am trying again to get the 2.02 update on it through the game updates section. It says it's loading 2.02. I bet when I click on one of the games, it won't do anything.

Don't try that, it won't work.

Follow the steps I outlined above and you'll be hunky dory.

Jason Petho
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

OK-I set up Chrome and it's loading-let you know. God...I hope this works.
I really appreciate the help...I'm ill and this game really helps me feel better.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No problem at all, Tim, my pleasure to help!

Jason Petho
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

No good Jason. I installed Chrome. I installed from Chrome, went 2.02 and ran it. I opened using WinRAR and it installed. There was no EXE-just the application I just clicked on it and it unloaded and installed. I then went to Informative Post and followed the instructions there except the System is Windows 7. I tried twice. No go. I will reinstall with the Chrome download and try 1.03. Unless you have suggestions?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

What errors are you getting with your 2.02 install

There are files called *.LOG.

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I opened using WinRAR and it installed. There was no EXE-just the application I just clicked on it and it unloaded and installed

Using WINRAR, extract the contents to a temporary folder.

This is the file you should see: JohnTillerCampaignSeries-UpdateDR-v202.exe

Double click on the application (which is an EXE) and install it. Make sure it is installing to the correct path, it may default to something else if you didn't install the 1.00 game in the default location (Which is highly recommended)

After the 2.02 UPDATE installed, there is a few things you can check to make sure it actually installed

1. Under About, it will say 2.02.

2. You will have an updated Manual in the manuals folder, with a disclaimer to 2.01 June 2014 . CS-Manual-[EBOOK].pdf

3. You will see the log files I mentioned above, which help track down your issues.

Jason Petho

Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

The game will not open using the 2.02 at all. I tried opening from within the file. No good either. Where are the *.LOG.? I can't understand what's going on?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

the *.LOG files are in the game folder you are trying to open.

For example, if you go into the West Front folder, double click on the West Front.exe and try to launch the game.

If it doesn't work, you can use Window's explore to sort by date (visualizing with details) and the .log files will show up at the top. Or sort by type, and they'll be down in the middle of the folder. With games going forward, these will be found in the logs folder (CS 3.00?)

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Don't forget that it is highly recommend to uninstall the game completely, reinstall the 1.00 version, then add the 2.02 UPDATE.

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Within Windows 7 (all versions) make sure you do this:
Here's the resolution (May help other players)

Please open the folder where you've installed the game. Locate and select a file named "autorun.exe". Press the right mouse button and select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Tick the option "Run this program as an administrator". Click on "Apply" and "Ok". Double click on "autorun.exe" for running the program and check if the issue persists.

I also had to tick the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also have to launch the game using the autoexe file within the game folder. I no longer can use the quick start icon on my PC desktop.
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

I did this. What is the default location Jason. The initial install Chrome or otherwise installs and there is a shortcut. The manual says it's the 2.01 June 2014 version, but the program will not open.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Which program are you trying to open? From where?
Tim41

Post by Tim41 »

I did this-XP service pack 3. Within the game folder there is AutoPlay. Autorun (application 851KB). Though the manual is updated, the program will not run. How have I screwed up now?

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”