Game Commitment

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dr.hal

Game Commitment

Post by dr.hal »

Folks,

I am exceedingly curious about one aspect of the game and that's the ability of players to do rapid turns. I see time and time again adverts for opponents here where the originator of the tread is looking for an opponent and he can do "one turn a day" or sometimes "two turns a day" etc. When I read this I'm dumbfounded! How can anyone do this sort of rate of returns? I struggle to get a turn out in 3-4 days depending on many other factors. But I could never ever commit to a turn a day or more. How do you all manage that incredible rate of turns in such a short period of time. What am I missing. I'm semi-retired and still don't have near enough time to commit to that sort of turnover so what am I doing wrong????? Hal
Bullwinkle58

RE: Game Commitment

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Taking too long for each turn? [8D]

I do a turn a day for two games almost every day. Part is era; turns are faster at some points. Part is having a workflow you do every day the same way. Part is using Tracker to pre-judge what needs attention. And a lot is just not feeling as if you have to do or check every thing, every day.

When I'm in an op-heavy period I use a trick. I have a few music megamix videos on YouTube in my Favorites file. They're about an hour each. I put one on and when it's over I wrap up the turn wherever I am. Maybe 2-3 minutes to finish the step or TF I'm on and then out. It rarely matters I didn't spend another hour that day.
The Moose
bartrat

Post by bartrat »

I will likely never do a game with a human opponent. My schedule is too fluid to allow one turn a day; some days I do not spend any time on the game. So I play vs. the AI. Fun enough for me, but YMMV.
WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I guess the question is how meticulous are you, or... how obsessive...

Some turns take me 3 hours, some I've cranked out in about 1 hour.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

Hehe. I just started a thread like that. :) Some turns certainly take much longer than others but others, I think, 20 minutes or less, if not too much is going on. My previous opponent I think our record was about 5/6 in a day, on the weekends when I sometimes just at home, "relaxing" from the week. It was rare for me to not be able to do a turn on a day, but it did happen. During the week it was usually just one turn. It takes less than an hour, I can find the time.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Folks,

I am exceedingly curious about one aspect of the game and that's the ability of players to do rapid turns. I see time and time again adverts for opponents here where the originator of the tread is looking for an opponent and he can do "one turn a day" or sometimes "two turns a day" etc. When I read this I'm dumbfounded! How can anyone do this sort of rate of returns? I struggle to get a turn out in 3-4 days depending on many other factors. But I could never ever commit to a turn a day or more. How do you all manage that incredible rate of turns in such a short period of time. What am I missing. I'm semi-retired and still don't have near enough time to commit to that sort of turnover so what am I doing wrong????? Hal

I have a campaign game going for over six years now (original WITP). Turn rates vary. My opponent and I have seen job changes, relocations, family vacations, death of family members, graduations, marriages, etc. We have suspended the game for weeks at a time while dealing with real life.

At its peak, we got one turn done per day on average (i.e., one of us would do their turn and email it out), so 3-4 actual game days per week of playing.

We are in April '45, and now getting one or two a week accomplished.

Much of it depends on attitude. My opponent and I like the journey; the destination will be nice when we get there, but we are in no hurry. I usually get to the gaming computer around 9 to 10 PM, and can get a turn done most evenings. Maybe two on a weekend day, but the commander-in-chief of the home front will have something to say if that is done too often.

I would never commit to XX turns per day or per week, other than "I'll try." All it takes is one of the kids needing help with math, a bad day at the office or finding that we are going over to someone's house for dinner to destroy my evening plans -- which is a frequent occurrence.

Don't feel bad Hal ... if you lived in your parent's basement and didn't have to suffer the inconvenience of having to make money, or have a family, or have outside interests -- multiple turns per day would be your routine. :-)

Regards,
Feltan
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

As the Allied player I could do 4-5 turns a day but I don't know how my opponents kept up. As Japanese I've never topped 3 and usually just do one or two. Here's some advice.

1. Don't have a real life
2. Be obsessive
3. When waiting for your slow-poke opponent to send you a turn sit there and stare at your empty e-mail box tapping your fingers
4. Skip meals
5. Wake up in the middle of the night and do a turn
6. Remember, no socializing with anyone
7. Let the laundry go til you actually need something to wear besides a bathrobe to go outdoors unless you're living in a cardboard box. Nobody cares.
8. Don't listen to Bullwinkle58

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

I'll try to do a turn a day, and sometimes another at the weekends, but work, family and football do come first!

I'll never do a turn in a hurry just to please an opponent, you just end up making loads of mistakes.

I've played games where my opponent can flip turns at a fair rate of knots, and once with a guy who managed about two turns a week. Either works for me, but I'll never try two games at a time again. Too much to take in![:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I have no clue why people take so long doing turns. You don´t have to check EVERYTHING every turn. Once you sort things out you just have to deal with new events. In 42 I do an allied turn in 10-30 minutes. In 45 30-60 minutes unless something major happened. With a better UI I could cut that by more then half.

Me and Tom could do 6-10 turns in an evening. Its all about how effective and organized you are. [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I have no clue why people take so long doing turns. You don´t have to check EVERYTHING every turn. Once you sort things out you just have to deal with new events. In 42 I do an allied turn in 10-30 minutes. In 45 30-60 minutes unless something major happened. With a better UI I could cut that by more then half.

Me and Tom could do 6-10 turns in an evening. Its all about how effective and organized you are. [:D]

Leaving the house (not in bathrobe) keys? check. wallet? check. checkbook? book. pants? check. underwear? check phone? check. phaser? check. tricorder? check. Dramamine? check. Oh, where'd the time go?

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Its all about how effective and organized you are. [:D]

I'm detecting a bit of criticism here. Certainly you are not saying I'm disorganized and ineffective? I take offense as I resemble that remark.....

Hal
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Some of us are more organised than others!

I couldn't do six turns a day for example, I mean, you need sleep!
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I can usually turn an Allied turn around within a half hour, not counting the replay. A particular battle or hot spot will up the time a bit. First turn is always several hours, though. Once stuff is moving, everything's stuck in transit anyways. Adjusting air activity is probably the biggest chore. Oddly enough, I find the most useful feature of Tracker is letting me know when LCUs reach their destination. Without it I would be forgetting all the time.

As the Japanese, I can flip them faster, as I'm looking at a smaller subset of the map. Troops move at a glacial rate, too. My esteemed opponent and I have managed five a day a couple times on the weekend.

Cannonfodder and I usually manage two a day on weekdays, despite our 8 hour time zone difference. We have lives, so we actually tend to slow down on weekends. Almost a full year playing, and we're about 19 months into the game, which I figure is pretty good.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I am playing 2 Campaign PBEM games. As Allied player the timing of the turns determines how quick a turn around. After feb'42 I can generally have a turn back to my opponent within 12 hours of receiving it. For a while this meant 2 turn/day but with a slowdown from 1 opponent it now really only works out to 1 on most days.....both games in May '42.
witpaemail

Post by witpaemail »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Folks,

If you can keep a regular pace, where the game is fresh in your mind, you can easily do a turn in under an hour and so doing 2 or 3 turns a day isnt that hard. Granted, the FIRST few turns are likely going to take a day or more, but once you get rolling, it isnt that hard. Play 2 day game turns and you can get into 1943 in a few months...
ndworl

Post by ndworl »

Living in Australia I've noticed a great advantage for faster turnaround. The time difference to North America and Europe means I'm playing my turn when my opponent is asleep and vice versa, so the game goes faster whatever actual turn rate you are using (one per day or more). One PBEM game with four players (not WitP) we managed to get one turn completed each day. First player US East Coast, then US West Coast, then Australia then Germany.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

I guess the question is how meticulous are you, or... how obsessive...

Some turns take me 3 hours, some I've cranked out in about 1 hour.

I am with you, Sir- but two to three hours is usually the minimum as I am very detailed. Have been trying to break the habit; used to be five or so hours, so there is progress (if I can call it that!)...

Really would like to just move, eventually I will get there.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Miller

Post by Miller »

Once the early turns are out of the way I could usually do one in 30 mins no problem. I have had numerous opponents who have between us managed 6-7 turns each a day. Obviously it gets harder for the Allies later in the game when all the extra stuff arrives.
bigred

Post by bigred »

In 42/43 as allies it seems easier to do one turn a day. In 45 i have calculated it takes me 12 man hours to do an allied 2 day turn. If I try to go faster it seems bad things happen.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

but two to three hours is usually the minimum as I am very detailed. Have been trying to break the habit; used to be five or so hours, so there is progress (if I can call it that!)...

Same here.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “Opponents Wanted”