How Do I Get From Point A to B Far Far Far Away?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

wagtunes

How Do I Get From Point A to B Far Far Far Away?

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, here's the deal. I'm 2 planets short of wiping a civilization out of existence. Unfortunately, these two planets have huge populations and thus my transports are going to have to carry a ton of troops.

Now, I have one fleet that can do the job. The problem is, they're almost on the other side of the Universe. I've tried to send them over to attack but they run out of fuel about a 1/10 of the way there and I have to send them back to refuel.

So, how can I do this? Is there a way to get them from point A to point B?
RiftHick

RE: How Do I Get From Point A to B Far Far Far Away?

Post by RiftHick »

Update your designs to have more/ better fuel cells and better hyper drives, also you could possibly make use out of refueling ships. You can also try looking for a good fuel source to build a station at that will allow you to use it as a staging point therefore you wont have to go so far to refuel.

What I would do is I would have my designated troop generating colonies start work on making troops, I would then update my ship designs and have my old fleets retrofit when viable....if my old fleets are not really close enough to a retrofit point then I may very well just transfer my characters off of those fleets/ worlds and shift them to my homeworld. Then once they characters are safe I'd scrap the ships outright and replace them with the new ones then load up the various new ships with whatever and whoever and send some back to where the old ones where and the others off to the two remaining planets.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, here's where I'm at. I tried the refuel route but there aren't any close bases between the fleet and the target. When I ran out of fuel and chose the refuel at nearest base option, it took me farther away from the target as that was the closest base. So I'm going to have to try something else.

Designs are maxed out from what I can tell, so I'm already going as fast as I can go.

What would help is if when I build ships, I could designate what base I want them built at but I can't. The system arbitrarily picks bases throughout the system. I need a concentrated troop count and I'm not getting it simply by creating new fleets as they're being put all over the place.

I'll figure it out but right now this is a real head scratcher.

Serves me right for choosing to create the largest universe that I could when starting this game.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

What would help is if when I build ships, I could designate what base I want them built at but I can't. The system arbitrarily picks bases throughout the system. I need a concentrated troop count and I'm not getting it simply by creating new fleets as they're being put all over the place.
Select the base you want the ships built at, then use its build options to order your ships. Alternatively, open the Construction Yards menu in the upper center area of the screen near where the Designs menu, Ships and Bases menu, and Construction Orders menus are, select a shipyard, and use the build options there to order your ships.
Designs are maxed out from what I can tell, so I'm already going as fast as I can go.
Okay, then start stripping off unnecessary components and replacing them with fuel cells; if you've secured the target area, you don't need much at all in the way of armor, shields, or countermeasures, nor do you need weapons or targeting components. Or switch over to Fusion/HyperFusion/NovaCore Reactors from whatever less efficient reactors you may be using and install Calista-Dal Warp Drives instead of Equinox Jumpdrives; they'll take longer to get there, but as long as the static requirement is below ~50 your ships should be able to go further afield with Calista-Dal Warp Drives than with Equinox Jumpdrives, though be aware that the range gained might not be that great.
Okay, here's where I'm at. I tried the refuel route but there aren't any close bases between the fleet and the target. When I ran out of fuel and chose the refuel at nearest base option, it took me farther away from the target as that was the closest base. So I'm going to have to try something else.
Grab a couple of resupply ships (or build some, if you don't have any), load them up with fuel by deploying them at an appropriate location, then redeploy them at convenient points on the way to the target, perhaps even at the target. You now have refueling points close to the target. Problem temporarily alleviated.
RiftHick

Post by RiftHick »

What I meant by the station staging point, I meant look for a point closer to the 2 planets that doesn't have anyone's station on it and send a construction ship to go build there, the constructor can just refuel from that station and go home afterwards or be scuttled intentionally. Are you sure your empire is ok fuel wise? I mean that you aren't having fuel problems throughout your empire if you are indeed packing sufficient designs then your ships should be able to go more than 7 - 8 sectors before needing to be refueled even with poor efficiency ships with ships designed for great efficiency you'll be able to go for like 15+ sectors before needing to be refueled. Double check your designs to make sure they have the right amount of fuel cells, and the right type/ amount of reactors, hyper drives and the latest fuel cell type ships shouldn't be running around with 3 cells once you are a few years into a game they should have at least 6.

You can designate where you want the ships built, but its a bit more time consuming to do than to just use the ship order screen. What you do is go into the menu where you can see lists of all your ships and stations, find the space station you want to build the fleets at and then select that station there should be a sub menu near the bottom of the screen showing it's construction bays and to the side of it a drop down list of ship types. Select the correct ship type and order as many as you need through that station. This will make that specific station make those ships instead of spreading out the order between all construction stations, you can do this for ships that are built at colonies by selecting the better planet to make those types of ships so that their orders don't get passed to a tiny colony.

If you are having fuel problems empire wide, then I suggest you switch state ships and stations to Hydrogen and leave the private sector on Caslon.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Thanks all. This is great stuff. You guys must be experts at this game. LOL.

PS - Mission accomplished. Thanks again.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”