Two questions on how things work

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here. Post any Community Site Requests here as well.

Moderator: Vic

Ormand

Two questions on how things work

Post by Ormand »

I have two questions;

1) For a masterfile used for random games, how do you specify the default unit name? This seems to be on the regime page, but this is not used for random games. Or rather, it is overridden, and the game default "Division" is used instead. Where is the set?

2) For SFT data, how do HidePts and ReconPts work? I wanted to experiment with FOW, tried to set these to different values. For example, for a Rifle unit I set ReconPts=1 and HidePts=2. In the end, I couldn't tell much of a difference. And for some units, I set HidePts fairly high, but they still seem to be visible. I haven't played around too much, but before I tried more, I thought I would ask around to see if how they worked.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Vic

RE: Two questions on how things work

Post by Vic »

1) Its hardcoded. Not pretty. Will see if I can change this for future patch. You could work around.

2) Use higher ammounts of hide points. Recon points are used cumulatively modified for distance by rulevar 11-14. Rulevar 8 specifies the minimum recon points you need to have on a hex in order to see units there. Try using hide points more in the order of magnitude of 50 to 100 points to see effects. Also make sure the sftype is not mixed in a unit with sftypes with no or lower hide point sf-types for propper testing.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks for the hints Vic. This is kind of interesting. It turns out these are enough to have some effect, but what I didn't realize was the effect of multiple units along the line. That having two or three units adjacent to hex has a big effect.

Just a few observations, and probably a few more questions.

In a test where I had equal rifle in all units, 27, when I had to units approach an enemy unit, universally, it always overestimated the number of enemy units, estimating 40 rifle in the hex. This was only slightly modified when I had two units come next to it. In this case, the hide=2, and recon=1. The next turn, the estimate dropped down to 17, and afterwards it fluctuated around that, but never got better. So, I am assuming that being in constant contact doesn't improve intelligence and recon? It seemed that each turn the level of intelligence stayed the same, and the only way to get more would be to bring another unit in.

But, it kind of looks like combat helps. That is, if you do a probe, you get the info for that turn, but the intelligence looks to disappear the next turn, even if no one moved.

Does intelligence affect combat? It does in a surprise situation, namely if the unit has so many hide points that it isn't seen, and I also surmise when there is no information on the unit. But, later, say in the case where I have info on the unit, but it is not correct, say intelligence says there are 38 rifle, but there are only 26. Does this affect the combat? Or, even the reversed situation, I detect 12, but there are 26.

Along these lines, does this affect a mixed unit. Let's say rifle mixed with guerrilla? It seems that in this case, as I approach the unit, I do get info that guerrilla units are present, even though they have a high hide point. I was wondering if there could be advantages to have mixed units. For example, I think of MG, bazooka, and AT as ambush weapons, that affect surprise.

I am going to guess at this stage that the current system is probably not as sophisticated, but perhaps is what you were alluding to earlier about rethinking FOW?
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Vic

Post by Vic »

Intell does not affect combat rules. (except for maybe misjudging the wiseness of the attack)

Hide is used on a unit level not on a subformation level. To make hide work well do not mix high hide sftypes with low hide sftypes.

I am definitely thinking of tackling new FOW rules next.

I think the system could be improved quite a lot.

One of the biggest 'exploits' at the moment is that any form of combat always reveals all enemy units in a hex.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Advanced Tactics Support”