A Glorious Way to Die: John 3rd vs. NY59Giants BTS: Lite

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: The Perils of Victory

Post by Lowpe »

Pray for the fuel!
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Pray for the fuel!

+1
John 3rd

Pearl Harbor FALLS: TORA! TORA!! TORA!!!

Post by John 3rd »

April 20, 1942
Operation Eastern Storm

It is an all-out effort between the Kaigun, LBA, and the Army. Pearl Harbor is captured by the Empire of Japan on April 20, 1942.

Bombardments: Three bombardment featuring 7 BB, 3 CA, 6 CL, and 28 DD pound the American perimeter causing 991 Cas, 40 Guns, and 61 Vehicles to be disabled or lost.

Aerial Assault: Over 400 aircraft fly cover or drop bombs on targets of opportunity. They account for 333 Casualties, and 13 Vehicles.

Ground Assault:
All five Infantry divisions, with the very last shell being fired from the Artillery charge the American Lines. The Americans throw in the towel nearly immediately. The result is a 13-1 attack. The Japanese capture 50,989 POWs, 784 Guns, and 568 Vehicles. A total of twenty-nine units surrender.

Take a look:

Attachments
PH420.jpg
PH420.jpg (688.25 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: pws1225

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Pray for the fuel!

+1

Yaaaa...well...we capture 156,000 fuel. It isn't 500,000 but it does pay for some of the operations to this point. Disappointment here!

Olorin

Post by Olorin »

This is a time for a BANZAI!!!!

Capturing so much fuel is also a nice bonus. I think I may have expended about 300k in 100 days around Hawaii, I 'd be ecstatic to get half of it back.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Concur. My fuel bill from Dec 7-April 20, 1942 is just at 350,000. Getting back nearly half is definite aid.

Already formed two MSW TF to deal with mines.

Michael told me that there was over 500,000 fuel on the last turn. Guess the engineers got a chance to do their thing prior to the surrender! Pretty realistic if you ask me...

Michael now THINKS KB is released from PH duty. I chuckled when he said this on the phone today. KB is now entering the eastern DEI and will be Soerabaja in two days. We're hoping to spring a NASTY surprise on the Allies...

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

With the Fall of Hawaii, it is now TRULY time to play...

Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Concur. My fuel bill from Dec 7-April 20, 1942 is just at 350,000. Getting back nearly half is definite aid.

Already formed two MSW TF to deal with mines.

Michael told me that there was over 500,000 fuel on the last turn. Guess the engineers got a chance to do their thing prior to the surrender! Pretty realistic if you ask me...

Michael now THINKS KB is released from PH duty. I chuckled when he said this on the phone today. KB is now entering the eastern DEI and will be Soerabaja in two days. We're hoping to spring a NASTY surprise on the Allies...
Congratulations on taking PH, I am anxious to see how the rest of this plays out. I do like the thought of KB showing up a week earlier than he would have expected, I can't wait to see how he reacts.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I now have ELEVEN Infantry Divisions freed up between the Fall of Java (5 ID but 1 is severely damaged) and Pearl Harbor (all in good shape but we're leaving one to serve as direct garrison) and then a fresh ID that departed Fusan four days ago. This ID is now re-routed north to the Aleutians...making this the second ID up there working on its Arctic tan.

Thoughts:
1. Add one more ID for a northern thrust into Alaska. Force: 3 ID, 1 Brigade, 4 TK Reg, and a decent number of engineers.
2. Send 2-3 ID from Pearl to widen the salient in the South by taking Nadi--Suva and threaten New Caledonia.
3. Send 2 ID to Burma to launch an eastward thrust in Western China.
4. Use 4 ID to take NW Australia and threaten Perth.

Yes--I know this disperses the effort but Michael cannot be everywhere at once. Want to FORCE a Fleet Engagement. Biggest chances of that are Perth and/or Nadi--Suva.

Go ahead. Sound off...

Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

I now have ELEVEN Infantry Divisions freed up between the Fall of Java (5 ID but 1 is severely damaged) and Pearl Harbor (all in good shape but we're leaving one to serve as direct garrison) and then a fresh ID that departed Fusan four days ago. This ID is now re-routed north to the Aleutians...making this the second ID up there working on its Arctic tan.

Thoughts:
1. Add one more ID for a northern thrust into Alaska. Force: 3 ID, 1 Brigade, 4 TK Reg, and a decent number of engineers.
2. Send 2-3 ID from Pearl to widen the salient in the South by taking Nadi--Suva and threaten New Caledonia.

Yes--I know this disperses the effort but Michael cannot be everywhere at once. Want to FORCE a Fleet Engagement. Biggest chances of that are Perth and/or Nadi--Suva.

Go ahead. Sound off...

I'm certainly no expert, but based on what I've seen in this AAR, here's my thoughts.

1 - I would definitely reinforce the Alaska arm. I know there was discussion about advancing to threaten the West Coast, and a possible strategic bombing campaign. Even if you've decided not to pursue this, Michael doesn't know that yet, and given your success at PH, he has to be considering that risk. The Alaska moves would be the logical next step, so it keeps this threat front-burner for him, whether you pursue it or not.

2/4 - Both of these could support an objective of isolating Australia, or at least making it more difficult for him to supply. With PH gone, I would guess he will shift most of his shipping to the Capetown route, so Perth would be valuable. He can still route to Adelaide/Melbourne, but Perth would be a good base for raiding into that LOC. Whatever shipping remains from the West Coast will have to take the southern route - again Suva won't block it, but it extends it and gives you opportunities.

3 - Not sure I would commit forces here, it seems like a recipe for getting bogged down in favorable terrain for his defense, and with an extended supply line. It's hard enough as the Allies to force supplies along that route, you would have to send them around to Rangoon first then push them up the trails. I would just seal that route off, maybe make some demonstrations toward NE India, but I would not commit heavy ground forces here. This might work if you were going all in for an India strategy, but this is at best a tertiary objective for you, and if you are focused on isolating Australia, I don't think you'll have the shipping to reinforce additional armies in Burma.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Quite reasonable Sir.

Completely concur with your thinking. Alaska makes for a nice 'follow-on' to PH. Whether it is FOR REAL or not makes no difference. It will keep Michael's attention.

As said before Michael obsesses over Perth. This will APPEAR to be right up his 'threat level' and he'll be highly concerned about it.

Burma is--at best--a minor theatre. Must have enough troops here to hold it but leave enough for the much higher priorities.

Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Thoughts:

Go ahead. Sound off...

I think it is a great idea to continue expanding your lines to encompass... well, everything... LOL!

Have you any concern for the Japanese defense? Where is the supply going to come from for another major offensive?

You cannot force anything. The Allied player can get trapped but not forced.

My hope is that your enthusiasm as well as your economy does not wane going forward as I would like to see what happens in late 1943 and 1944 in this game.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Alaska is already stockpiled with nearly 100,000 supply.

Java is heavily supplied along the same number.

One of the best places for me to fight is the DEI because my fuel is RIGHT there. The Fleet can use it without issue and I can keep right on shipping it to the Home Islands.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Wait, what shape is the Pearl's shipyard in?
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

It has 28 of 100 operational. A mess but still useful.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I got EVERY PH BB. Michael confirmed that there was not a single survivor.

bigred

Post by bigred »

ORIGINAL: Justus2

Thoughts:

Go ahead. Sound off...

I'm certainly no expert, but based on what I've seen in this AAR, here's my thoughts.

1 - I would definitely reinforce the Alaska arm. I know there was discussion about advancing to threaten the West Coast, and a possible strategic bombing campaign. Even if you've decided not to pursue this, Michael doesn't know that yet, and given your success at PH, he has to be considering that risk. The Alaska moves would be the logical next step, so it keeps this threat front-burner for him, whether you pursue it or not.

2/4 - Both of these could support an objective of isolating Australia, or at least making it more difficult for him to supply. With PH gone, I would guess he will shift most of his shipping to the Capetown route, so Perth would be valuable. He can still route to Adelaide/Melbourne, but Perth would be a good base for raiding into that LOC. Whatever shipping remains from the West Coast will have to take the southern route - again Suva won't block it, but it extends it and gives you opportunities.

3 - Not sure I would commit forces here, it seems like a recipe for getting bogged down in favorable terrain for his defense, and with an extended supply line. It's hard enough as the Allies to force supplies along that route, you would have to send them around to Rangoon first then push them up the trails. I would just seal that route off, maybe make some demonstrations toward NE India, but I would not commit heavy ground forces here. This might work if you were going all in for an India strategy, but this is at best a tertiary objective for you, and if you are focused on isolating Australia, I don't think you'll have the shipping to reinforce additional armies in Burma.
Agree w Justis 2 on points one and three.
2. I would hold the pearl divs in reserve as the Alska plan develops. My planning on strategic damage to US west coast would begin. The question in my mind is would the damage created by a west coast invasion be more horriffic (to Japan and/or the USA) than the traditional turtle up defense the empire normally uses.
Seems everything u need to cherry pick the west coast ports is already sitting in pearl exceptthe extra 5 divisions.
I suspect after Seattle falls the Allies will heavy reinforce the area to contain a breakout then u just use the jap navy to port hop down the coast.

Fuel is an issue. Just forage like Sherman did. Those west coast ports are full of supply and fuel.

The 42 ground war for USA is rough. They have non 42 inf regiments that need to be upgraded then combined into divisions. The replacement rate is 90 per month. If u sit back they will upgrade. If u attack USA the replacements will be destroyed in ground combat and USA will never have more powerful infantry ground units as IJA until late 43.

If u can hold the west coast his ships(portland CVEs, mare island APAs, and SF sqns) cant come in except east coast and Canal.
If you are close or over the 4-1 threshhold going into dec42 then NYGiants will be forced into a CV battle.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
vicberg

Post by vicberg »

My thoughts on this playing the same mod. Fuel is already an issue with me. The extra fuel in PH just brings the levels back to starting Scen 1, right? I would be worried about getting too ambitious with Alaska, SoPac and isolating OZ. You can do it, but will you have any fuel after? I'm struggling to get fuel back to the home islands. My Aleutian adventure is draining needed tankers as well as SoPac. I would do one or the other next game, not both. The fuel isn't there for it. Strikes me that if you look at attacks that minimize fuel use, SoPac and isolating OZ makes sense. Perth isn't far from Palembang and you are already positioned for SoPac. Any strong move into Alaska could over-extend you. However, I'm not good at this game, so you may be doing things that I'm not yet.

Also, moving Divs into Burma to attack into China doesn't make sense to me. Burma is a supply challenge to begin with. Moving in from Hanoi is easier to supply and uses less fuel if your goal is to hurt China more.

I personally don't feel that the LOC from Singapore to Fusan is gamey. Japan launched an operation in 1944 (Ichi-go) to do exactly that. They took Changsha but it was too little too late as US took Saipan and started the strategic bombing campaign.
bigred

Post by bigred »

I would add that you consider adding a second IJ player if you execute a USA invasion. Someone will need to handle the logistics and setting the initial perimeter without the heavy divisions.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
John 3rd

The Perils of Victory

Post by John 3rd »

April 24, 1942
Pearl Harbor

The Japanese Battle Fleet enters into the shambles that is Pearl Harbor. This triumphant entry demonstrates to the demoralized Americans the might and glory of Japan. Seven monstrous battlewagons lead the entry followed by another 45 warships. Following them are freighters and transports bringing supply and engineers to the base. Full restoration may take 4-6 weeks.

Tomorrow will see the arrival of Combined Fleet HQ and Southern Army Command.

Few look upon the destruction of the base and cannot but feel awe. Additionally, seven sunken American battleships lie in the mud or in the destroyed drydocks. There are several of the more air-minded leaders who cannot help but see the destruction then look upon their own battleships, and NOT think about the happening to Japan within this very port...

Return to “After Action Reports”