To New Forum Members: Check in Here

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
skwerm

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by skwerm »

Hello Not a new player, I used to have the guadalcanal mega campaign and I was thinking about buying the general edition to get all the campaigns. My question is, if I do buy it, will it work on my windows 8 machine?? can someone link me to some install solutions?
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Hi!

First off go here and download the free version of the game:
tm.asp?m=1713246
Then try to run it and see if it works.

Most likely you will have issues with the artillery screen where the mouse is unresponsive. This is because modern PC's have multi core CPU's and the game does not like that. Another issue is that the game may crash from time to time. This is caused by the fact that the game is quite old now and the newer versions of DrictX do not support it well.

Possible fixes to these are to run the game with a special AFFINITY command to force it to use the last core of a multi core cpu. And for the random crashing DXWnd wrapper program may help. I have posted the fixes here:
tm.asp?m=2452605&mpage=3

Please note however that the game does not officialy support anything higher than Windows XP so getting it to work even with the fixes is not guaranteed.

If you do get the free version of the game up and running then you may consider buying all the mega campaigns. However there is another issue with the megas. They can not be played with the command & control option ON (game will crash). That is a bug in the game code itself.

skwerm

Post by skwerm »

thank you very much for the swift reply. i will do exactly as you say and report in.
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

I just checked the store and saw that the SPWAW Generals Edition costs 47.99 €! [X(] That seems like quite a high price for a 14 year old game that does not even work properly on modern computers.

In addition I forgot to mention that there has been talk here on the forums that the Mega Campaings that are included with the Generals Edition have some OOB errors in them. So you would need to use third party mods and updates to get them to work properly.
tm.asp?m=3844430

Also there is talk that Matrix and 2by3 games are going to make a new game called Steel Tigers. So maybe it is better to wait for that instead.
tm.asp?m=3885806

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”