Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ardonquen

Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters?

Post by ardonquen »

Hello!

I've been researching how to add more race pictures to the game and from what I've seen so far, each race has two images representing its characters. They're essentially the same image, although one has a transparent background and one does not.

Mods that add more race pictures seem to rely on adding predefined characters to the game that then use different portrait pictures. However, is it possible for randomly generated characters to use a random image from a pool, or even bet, a pool that's categorized by their role (i.e. general, leader, etc)?

It'd be cool if the pictures used for human characters, for instance, would randomly select between male and female portraits. No biggie if that's not possible, but I'm just wondering!

Thank you for your help!
Japhet

RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters?

Post by Japhet »

I'm not quite sure, I don't think it is possible. Just random generated names, I think.
However, it is possible to assign a specific portrait to a random generated character ingame via editor.

1)dump all the images you want to use in the Images/units/characters subfolder.
2)start a new game.
3)open the editor (the small icon beside the character icon in the HUD).
4)select "edit empires" and select your own (or any other, but you will propably not see the results), then click on "characters" and then on "edit character".
5)click on "change image" an select one of your liking.
6)close the editor. Done.

ardonquen

RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters?

Post by ardonquen »

Wow, thank you for the warp speed reply! :D

It's a shame that you can't have it randomly choose from a selection of portraits, but never mind! Thank you for providing an alternative! :3
Maponus

Post by Maponus »

The game will only generate as many races as exist in the races folder. More races, more empires.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

DeviantArt is your friend. I make all my custom races based of pictures of aliens swiped off that site.

(Vain artist credit is a mental minefield, however, which is why I never share any of these custom races with anyone. Not worth the drama/headaches, IMHO)
ardonquen

Post by ardonquen »

(Vain artist credit is a mental minefield, however, which is why I never share any of these custom races with anyone. Not worth the drama/headaches, IMHO)
Ain't that the truth! Every time I add content to a game, it's invariably a hack-job of other people's work. I tend not to share it either, because you don't want some angry artist with tineye as their homepage huffing and puffing at you! Don't they know that intellectual property theft is a cornerstone of modding?
Tehlongone

Post by Tehlongone »

Isn't it legal for non-profit purposes regardless of what they might want?
patdoomdoom

Post by patdoomdoom »

I work on space opera packs with more races & characters pictures...i post soon [;)]

Return to “Design and Modding”