Aircraft SFT Pictures

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Ormand

Aircraft SFT Pictures

Post by Ormand »

The return of the Prodigal Modder.

Sorry, I disappeared for way too long. Two causes: 1) Lots of travel for work - I have flown 55K miles so far this year; 2) being envious of Gary's skills, I decided to learn about 3D modeling. And this post is the result of my attempt so far. This took longer than planned, and, well it is involved. I had a bit of a bumpy start choosing a program. I thought I had settled on HEXAGON, but after a bit, I came to realize that it is buggy and rendering is very limited. I am cheap, so I bit the bullet, and decided to climb the steep learning curve that is BLENDER. It is not that easy to use, but does some amazing things.

At any rate, I have produced graphics for fighters that you can use if you wish, perhaps in conjunction with Gary's SFT pictures. I have a generic fighter, a version for American, British, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Russian regimes; a carrier fighter, and jet fighter (I am including this as a new SFT in my mod). The snapshot is below.

They are based on actual models with actual squadrons and colorings. Can you figure out the base for the generic fighter?

I'll upload pngs next.

They have a transparent background, and fit in the game just fine, with the standard background. I am mildly disappointed with the resolution, but that is really due to the 192x144 format. Generally speaking, the camera angle and distance is the same for each plane, although, I did try to fill the frame.

To use regime specific fighters, you will have to go to the editor, and do the following:
replace the main fighter picture with the GermanFighter. Then go to the extra SFT graphics list, and add several types with the "+" button. The nation specific pictures go here, and the order for ATG is
1 = British
2 = Russian
3 = French
4 = Arab
5 = Japan
6 = China
7 = Africa

I generally then use
8 = American
9 = Italian
10 = India

You should use the generic fighter for Arab, China, Africa, and India (or use them as you like).

A tip for this. First remove the main graphics, then add the nations. Then you can add all the graphics. If you add the main graphic first, each of the extra graphics will then have the standard and overlay pictures (the same picture in both) and you will have to change two graphics for each nation. Something of a pain! More Advanced: If you want to speed up Fighter II, III, and IV, the trick is to copy Fighter I three times, rename these to Fighter II, III, IV (duplicates are OK). Then for each SFT type copy the stats from other SFT type for the one you want, the original Fighter II, III, IV. Then move them up just below their counterpart and delete the original. To finish, you will have to go to the "Item" menu, and scroll down to Fighter II, III, IV, and with the "Is SFT type#" button, set these to the appropriate Fighter II, III, and IV SFT types. You don't have to do this as you can manually set each of the other extra SFT types for the higher versions. But, it is a bit tedious. This is a way to use previous work in the editor. But, you have to remember to reset the item that is built, or things get screwed up. And be sure to put the copied SFT in the exact same slot in the list as the original. And, as usual make a backup copy BEFORE you do anything!

Attachments
Planes.jpg
Planes.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 491 times
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Ormand

RE: Aircraft SFT Pictures

Post by Ormand »

Here is the zip file with the pngs

Attachments
Planes.zip
(156.85 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

The plan in the future is to slowly (I need a break from this and I am going to be on a three week vacation in a week) add the following:

Dive Bomber: JU87 (Stuka)
Carrier Torpedo Bomber: Nakajima B5N (Kate)
Carrier Dive Bomber: SBD Dauntless
Level Bomber: HE 111 or North American B25
Strategic Bomber: B29
Transport: Douglas C47

I might contemplate different levels for strategic bomber, which might be something like I: HE 111, II: B17, III: Lancaster, IV: B29. For the most part the B17, Lancaster, and B24 were pretty equivalent, and in some ways, although older, the B17 might have been the better all around since it had a higher ceiling, and could take serious punishment.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Absolutely stunning Ormand! I think you've already surpassed me in the 3d realm! [&o] [&o]

I'm looking forward to your bombers.

Your post is almost serendipitous. Aircraft are the one thing I'm missing right now in my graphics. Chaim (a.k.a Tinjaw) has been industriously working on a mod incorporating my other graphics and just asked me yesterday if I had any aircraft graphics. I replied that I don't yet have any. Maybe we could incorporate some of your aircraft graphics in the mod, if you will permit us? I could create some aircraft graphics but they would pretty much pale in comparison to those posted above. So I don't see much point in doing so. [:o]
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Beautiful graphics, no zip attached however. Don't think the board supports attaching zip files.
ORIGINAL: Ormand

Here is the zip file with the pngs

Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi Webizen, I think you tried to DL the preview pic. The second post has the zip file. I just DL'ed it now and it works fine.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I tried a different browser and it worked. Thanks...
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hi Webizen, I think you tried to DL the preview pic. The second post has the zip file. I just DL'ed it now and it works fine.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks for the comments. I confess that these are somewhat overkill for ATG. I hadn't quite realized how much detail would be lost in the shrinking process. The originals are 1920x1440. There is also an evolution of skill apparent. The Spit is the first, and worst model (it is actually my second following a tutorial for a 747 by Blender Guru). There are also landing gear on the Spit, 109, and Zero, which was a waste of time. The last models are the F6F, P51, and ME 262, which all have panels as well (overkill). Below is the full resolution P51.

Gary, sure you can include them. I would ask the same, if I can include your models in my Four Seasons mod. I have already morphed the Regiments mod into NewDawn3, and will convert Divisions soon. I am using your graphics in my version, and when I am done, would like to put them up on the server.

I am not sure if/when I will graduate to vehicles. I have visions of doing the same thing as the fighters for medium tanks. But, that is a while off. The planes won't get finished until the Fall at the earliest either.

Attachments
P51.jpg
P51.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 489 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Absolutely, you may incorporate anything you want from my graphics. Between the two of us I think we'll have all the subformations pretty much covered. [:)]

ORIGINAL: Ormand
Gary, sure you can include them. I would ask the same, if I can include your models in my Four Seasons mod. I have already morphed the Regiments mod into NewDawn3, and will convert Divisions soon. I am using your graphics in my version, and when I am done, would like to put them up on the server.

I am not sure if/when I will graduate to vehicles. I have visions of doing the same thing as the fighters for medium tanks. But, that is a while off. The planes won't get finished until the Fall at the earliest either.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks Gary. Yes, eventually, we'll get some nice pictures for ATG!
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Ormand, those aircraft images are outstanding, good job
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

I'll grab these and incorporate them into my graphics mod. I should have something soon to release publicly.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Impressive pictures, Ormand. [&o]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks for the encouragement! Feel free to use them. Sorry it will take a while to complete the plan. I had hoped to start the Ju87 this week, but real life intervened, and I am on travel again. And next week, I'll be mostly on vacation the next three weeks. I hope to have more finished by the end of September.

I have essentially converted my FourSeasons-Regiments mod to ANewDawn3 with a TOE, and Gary's SFTs (and mine). I am tweaking some features, and will then convert Divisions, and try to post it.
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

I have packaged Gary's and Ormand's graphics here.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Here is a divebomber. Note that with generic SFT's, even though it is obviously equipment used by a nation, I am not putting in national insignia.

Attachments
DiveBomber.jpg
DiveBomber.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Here is DiveBomber.png

Attachments
DiveBomber.zip
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

And a Torpedo Bomber

Attachments
TorpedoBomber.jpg
TorpedoBomber.jpg (3.9 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

TorpedoBomber.png in the zip file

Attachments
TorpedoBomber.zip
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Maybe this is better

Attachments
TorpedoBomber.jpg
TorpedoBomber.jpg (3.03 KiB) Viewed 494 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”