IJAAF Night Fighters Scenario 1 Squadrons

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

IJAAF Night Fighters Scenario 1 Squadrons

Post by Lowpe »

IJAAF Night Fighters (NF) (Nightfighters)

This is the comprehensive list (as far as I know) of all IJAAF night fighter squadrons and how to get them. Many thanks to Obvert, Koniu, Fcharton, Pax Mondo, Spidery, Mr. Kane, Lokasenna, and Alfred who found the answer to very mysterious 28th Sentai.[&o]

4th Sentai Tokyo restricted 36 planes (starts in fragments with recon planes look on Formosa)
5th Sentai 42 planes (starts as Nates)
(they both go to 49 in March 44)

81st IF Chutai 12 planes III KAI Dinah (starts as a Babs unit, fragmented)
82nd IF Chutai 9 planes III KAI Dinah converts to 28th Sentai at some point (may 1944 upgrades to 27 planes)

14th Sentai (starts as a Sally): Upgrade to Peggy; 27 planes (once upgraded to Peggy, can then go any Army NF model)

53rd Sentai reinforcement 49 planes; 4/44 (upgrade to Nick D from another Nick model)
107th Sentai reinforcement 27 planes; 10/44 (upgrade from a Peggy squadron)
106th Sentai reinforcement 49 planes; 10/44 III KAI Dinah
16th IF Chutai reinforcement 9 planes; 11/44 III KAI Dinah (comes in two parts 5 days apart)

Army NF Models:

Nick D: Your first NF, with a little research you can get it prior to B29s. Slow, armored. You need this plane to upgrade the 4th and 5th Sentai to open up the NF choices.

III KAI Dinah: Twin engined, no armor, fast. Not very good to be honest. SR2

Peggy 109I: Faster than Nick, one big honking gun; SR 3 is a handicap

Randy 102C: On paper the best Army NF in the game. FD2 Radar doesn't activate until 10/45 but head and shoulders better than the rest even without radar which none of the other planes have anyhow.

Attachments
betty.jpg
betty.jpg (338 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Lowpe

RE: IJAAF Night Fighters Scenario 1 Squadrons

Post by Lowpe »

IJNAF Night Squadrons:

They are much more straight forward than the army. So no comprehensive listing. Be aware that some squadrons can upgrade early on...and you can inadvertently lose the NF upgrade path if you aren't careful.

Tainan KuS-1 (a large splintered A6M2 squadron) can upgrade to Irving S. I am pretty sure if you upgrade to another fighter, the upgrade path will change to Denko (which comes very late).

Also be aware that many of the Navy squadrons withdraw. Some come back later or are re-organized and a new reinforcement group arrives.

Most Navy squadrons are smallish...18 planes.

Also, if you have the A6M5d-s, you will be able to resize your small Irving NF to a larger size, if your HR allow it.

Of all the models, I like the Irving simply because it is the earliest. The Sa version packs an additional cannon, and has radar but is even slower. I think it is worthwhile to have a fairly generous pool of the Sa in case the worst happens.

After the Irving, Frances and Myrt both do well. Myrt has the advantage of one engine, but comes later in respect to the Frances. The Zero and Judy not so good.

The Denko's SR of 4 really hinders the plane, as bases are normally subject to multiple waves of night bombers.

Whatever model you choose, Radar works wonders so choose a model that has that.

setloz

Post by setloz »

thank you for this info! [&o][&o]
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”
Gen. George S. Patton
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: setloz

thank you for this info! [&o][&o]

Glad you found it of use.[:)]

Obvert and Pax Mondo are really guiding lights here...

It really boils down to a numbers game I think, and then frames (assuming decent pilots).

You need to maximize the number of night fighters possible since it is the largest constraint Japan faces.

Return to “The War Room”