WitPAE vs WitW

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

bairdlander2

WitPAE vs WitW

Post by bairdlander2 »

I have both and prefer this to WitPAE.Why is WitPAE so much more popular than this title?
scout1

RE: WitPAE vs WitW

Post by scout1 »

More degrees of freedom and action
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

They each scratch different itches. But WitPAE has almost 10 years of development and release time over WitW so it tends to be more polished.
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

They each scratch different itches. calrkay58

Agreed. They are both great games but offer a different player experience. The first three months as either side in WitPAE is as thrilling a player experience as exists in a grognard game. I am not a naval guy though and it is a heavy hands on logistics game. I go gray with tension when I sortie my carriers. The Japanese can lose the war in a day (think Midway). My brother dabbles in WitE and WitW but always goes back to WitPAE. I am just the opposite. I've never finished a campaign in WitPAE but finished numerous campaigns in the others.

I'm just thankful we have several now to rotate playing.
Chris
Dobey455

Post by Dobey455 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

I have both and prefer this to WitPAE.Why is WitPAE so much more popular than this title?

How do you measure "so much more popular"?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well as a long time WitP AE player the reason the AE forum is so active is that most of us have been around for 10+ years or so. As many of us started with Uncommon Valor in 2002. I joined in 2004 so a late comer to the party lol.

You can find out more about why with my AE article at the Wargamer http://www.wargamer.com/Article/3490 Shameless plug [:)]

If 2by3's vision comes through and the WitW/E system continues to add theaters/extend the timelines, then this series forums will become active for a long time. Just like AEs.

The other reason is basically no other game EVER that coves the entire PTO at the detail AE does. There are tons of ETO games but no PTO ones. Simply because it is too damn hard to do. How do you capture the intensity of a CV fleet battle that will be started and over in a day or two in a war that lasts almost four years? Many mechanics have been tried but other than AE all are lacking in one way or another.

Additionally the scale is just immense. Even at 40 miles per hex, the ranges put the ETO to shame. People think WitE is big at 10 miles per hex [:D] They ain't seen nothing until they fire up AE [:)]

So in 14 years when we have a unified ETO system by 2by3, I'll bet that will be at 'popular' as AE is now. Comparing a game that has not been out for a year yet to a system that has been out for 14 is not really fair. Nor is it fair to compare basically the ONLY PTO game available to the ETO where there are a lot of games published on.

Just my two cents anyway [:)]
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Good article Numdydar. Until I became a beta tester for WitW I didn't realize how many people were volunteering their time for these projects out of a love for the subject and the games.

This is probably the future for games like this and I am grateful to all those who contribute. The creative development mix of player/tester/programmer has created games I could only dream about. I thought the original War In Russia was the best war game ever but I see now it was just the start.
Chris
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

WOw...has it really been that long since I first bought Uncommon Valour?

Of course the pacific is better WiTP:AE is wetter.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”