Idea for improving Governments/Polices/Economy in the future DW2

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

joshbm

Idea for improving Governments/Polices/Economy in the future DW2

Post by joshbm »

The government system in Distant Worlds is good but I would like to share with you my ideas of how it could be expanded in the future i.e. Distant Worlds 2 hopefully coming at some point.

Instead if the fixes forms of government currently in the game that can only be changed though revolution. I propose that a political compass be added in to the game. This would allow government to shift around the political spectrum over time rather than having to have a revolution to change. This could also allow the introduction of political parties in to the game that have different bonus and costs. If the player has chosen to use a democratic form of government with elections the player would have to influence voters across colonies to get them to vote for the party they want. If the player has chosen to play an unelected government form then they would simply chose which group they want. Public support would still play apart in certain unelected governments and if the player kept choosing groups with little public support eventually the player would face a rebellion so influence public support is still important.

Polices
I have ideas on is Migration, Trade, Military. I will cover both below along with some of more general polices.

Migration

At the moment the options are quite limited the player can chose to from a few options when it comes to banning certain races and groups. My proposal would be to expand the options to cover all race groups and the races that are in them. The player could would have the options of banning whole race groups or going in to those groups and only banning certain races. Also an option could be added that allows the player to spend some income on encouraging migrates of their choice either by race groups of specific races.

The option could also be added to set a specific number of overall migrates. Though the option to limit by number race groups and races could also be added. E.g. the player could set a limit to 1 billion over all migrates and then break down that number either by race group or specific races. The player would receive negative or positive diplomatic buffs with races depending on migration policy of the Player and AI.

Trade

Could be expanded again to include more options. Player could be given control of levies, taxes applies to certain goods, either overall on the two groups of resources or specific resources themselves. This would add an extra form of income to players and make free trade agreements with empire even more important. Players and AI that have such agreement would be exempt from levies.

Construction

Allow the player to set the ability of construction ships building bases outside of empire influence range. The player could ban them from building bases outside of influence unless ordered to manually. This would allow player to easily manage construction vessels in large number. Could also apply to AI and the take in to account there starting location and need to expand.

Military

Expansion of Fleet options. Allow the setting up of fleet patrol routes they would fly around and response to attacks. Rather than sit idle at base till attack happens. Also could give the player of option of rallying and standing down fleets. If a fleet is rallied to gathers at it home base and can alerts the player when all ship have arrived and ready to attack a target. When a fleet it stood down ships in the fleet go about business as usual flying around and patrolling bases though out the empire individually. If the fleet have a specified patrol root when it is stood down the fleet fly around together a patrol the root till been needed again.

Also setting a home base of fleet mean that all refit work will be carried out there rather than breaking apart and separate locations. Could also apply to damage but depending on the level the ship will chose either to call a repair vessel, head to the nearest base or travel back to home a repair. Would make placing of fleet bases and strategic planning more important. Also fleet support could be expended such as repair, fuel and ammo ships alongside the current resupply ships.

Economy

Private sector in Distant Worlds is possibly one of a kind not many other games have this simulated. Could be expanded upon though. Companies could be added in to the game as almost faction within a faction. The player could influence what they could be and they could in turn influence the government of the empire.
The player could be given the options to set tax rates and regulation for companies. If the player want to encourage large companies then setting taxes rates to favour them could be done the same is true in the reserves if the player wants small companies. Both settings would having cost and benefits and striking the middle grown would also be an option.

The player could also limited or regulate what companies are allowed to deal in. The player could then grant certain companies licences to allow them to be exempt from certain regulations. The player could also decide what companies are allowed to own from just freighters and mining stations all the way to colonies (within empire bounders) and private security vessels. The player could sell old military designs to companies. Though this would be risky as giving them too much power may lead to them trying to taken over the empire and run it a corporate state.

That is all I have at the moment. I may in a few days post my ideas on improving the diplomatic system of Distant Worlds. I have a few ideas such as multiple empires signing a treaty all the way to a UN in space idea where empire can propose legislation on a galactic level. This could be from a galactic wide agreement of free trade of specific resources, to limiting the size of space/ground militarises all and outright bans of certain weapons and ships (think world destroyers). I luck forward to hearing everyone's opinions.
Blabsawaw22

RE: Idea for improving Governments/Polices/Economy in the future DW2

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

love it, but I think the developers better fix the dang economy situation first before implementing any awesome ideas.. like how about having a fricken button to click to turn on/off delivery of goods on spaceports and even just a civilian sector that actually tries to transfer goods intelligently.. AI...

anyway.. good ideas.

i still play this game too much..
joshbm

RE: Idea for improving Governments/Polices/Economy in the future DW2

Post by joshbm »

I play to much as well. Have to agree on that have seen then AI do some weird stuff with the economy on occasion but I guess it come with the complexity of the game. Thanks for the response as well.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”