2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I might can deal with DLC of nations and such as long as the 'base' game remains the same. I want randomized everything, scenario's and campaign's. I still want it all in one package but even I can break a little if I get the main portion of the game the same. [:'(]
A lot of the games with expansions and DLCs have been sold with everything in one package when it all got made and done. SPWAW - Generals Edition, Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Collector's Edition, Civilization IV: Complete Edition, Half-Life: Orange Box, and Total Annihilation: Commander Pack are few that come to mind. Would there be any reason why it wouldn't be the same for Steel Tigers?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

...I want randomized everything, scenario's and campaign's...

Actually I seldom played the random battles or campaigns in any Steel Panthers games. I always prefered the premade ones that followed some historic story and had nicely made maps with the AI deployed in a sensible way.

The random battles on the other hand just had a fairly dull looking procedurally generated map with often silly placement of roads and bridges. Also the AI would just throw it's units on the map and place AT guns in thick forest and do all sorts of other silly things like that with its units. [:)]

That said random battle generator is ofcourse still an easy way to quickly add more content to a new game. Making good custom scenarios and campaigns takes alot of time.
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Just a thought but there is another counter system I could get into for this game and that's Mark Walker's counters and units in Heroes of Stalingrad. Let me hear what ya think about that? [:)]
ORIGINAL: map66
I agree completely there--- those HOS counters are great, and in many ways would work better than 2d or 3d "realistic" models to convey information.
ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.
That counter and map style is just about what I want to see. Although the game module concept of that release was/is simply too skinny in content for me. A good and bad example in that sense.

Wait, what?

One of the reasons I got hooked into Steel Panthers was that it was not your standard cardboard counters strategy game but instead had "real" tanks moving around in the terrain. Those unit counter graphics are dry and take away the immersion.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I'd really like a good tactical game of it and not John Tillers toy game Rising Sun Gold.

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with Rising Sun?

Jason Petho
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja
Just a thought but there is another counter system I could get into for this game and that's Mark Walker's counters and units in Heroes of Stalingrad. Let me hear what ya think about that? [:)]
I agree completely there--- those HOS counters are great, and in many ways would work better than 2d or 3d "realistic" models to convey information.
That counter and map style is just about what I want to see. Although the game module concept of that release was/is simply too skinny in content for me. A good and bad example in that sense.

Wait, what?

One of the reasons I got hooked into Steel Panthers was that it was not your standard cardboard counters strategy game but instead had "real" tanks moving around in the terrain. Those unit counter graphics are dry and take away the immersion.

Major +1. At a minimum, it has to have top down view with rotating turrets and little flaming wrecks, same as before. Craters in the terrain too, relative to artillery size.
No problem Chief!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

What I have learned about Continuation War was Finnish Ground Force (or: Finnish Army) used all the weapons that were on the battlefields from own native made weapons to salvaged T-34/85 and everything between. In addition units going to frontline could trade their bolt-action rifles to sub-machine guns of another unit going to rear for rest & reinforcements. That could mean finnish infantry squad could have any number of bolt-action rifles, salvaged (semi-)automatic rifles, sub-machine guns, (light) machine guns, Molotov cocktails, anti-tank mines, Panzerfausts, and whatever else I might have overlooked here. So for infantry squads I suggest this: few ready to use templates that can be modified within the game to have different weapons of varying numbers.

And vehicles should have reverse gear available.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Wait, what?

I'm good with this idea too. I liked the old SP style as well.

What I don't like is the toy soldier, plane on a stick style that seems so popular today.

Either way, old school AH Squad Leader style counters or old school top down style SP, (or CC for that matter) individual items.

Again relying on frail memories of SP1, there was a battle results panel that was flashed on screen showing what part of the firing item was firing and then you could see some sort of combat results flash on screen.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

I guess I can finally get into this game when ST is released. I tried to begin to get into SP but just investigating about it and its different versions gave me a headache.

I come from close combat btw which I thought was a similar game but I guess they're not.
Hard-core Spectre
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Wait, what?

Maybe for YOU but not for everybody else. Too me the top down look of a tank or truck or any of the vehicles was dry and boring. I almost didn't play because of that. No, I surely hope that is the "one" technique they "don't" use in Steel Tigers. If it is then there's been really no improvement on the looks of the game.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

The newly announced Mideast game will be enough for me [;)]
Matt R

Post by Matt R »

Maybe for YOU but not for everybody else. Too me the top down look of a tank or truck or any of the vehicles was dry and boring. I almost didn't play because of that. No, I surely hope that is the "one" technique they "don't" use in Steel Tigers. If it is then there's been really no improvement on the looks of the game.

I have a strong feeling you're in the minority on this one, my friend [:D]

I've been modding SP icons for years. In fact, the crappy-looking infantry icons in last official release of WaW and Enhanced.. I'm guilty of those travesties [;)]
"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'
Matt R

Post by Matt R »

I would like to see bodies left on the field like vehicle wrecks.

I've been to war. It's a mess, to put it mildly.

Bodies and dead livestock will definitely add a level of realism. Nothing too gory, but something.

I had added some bodies icons to the Civil War mod in the special terrain icons SHP. Helped a lot, I think.

Attachments
uniondead_132.jpg
uniondead_132.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 72 times
"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

I think bodies will probably be left in the same way we do in BA, though no blood. We are aiming for a high quality visual look and feel - though nothing indicative to show yet, or indeed for a while!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

We are aiming for a high quality visual look and feel

Oh that is good to hear. Thanks Pip. [&o]
budd

Post by budd »

I hope they stay with the top down look. I have every confidence in 2x3.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
genMaczek

Post by genMaczek »

Few questions to devs:

1.will it be hex based? Whats gonna be size of hex? 50m?

2.there is no unit stacking in Battle Acadamy, will ST have unit stacking just like orginal Steel Panthers? I cannot imagine making real Steel Panthers clone without unit stacking.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I hope they stay with the top down look. I have every confidence in 2x3.

I hope they don't. [:'(] I have every confidence in 2x3. (I'm really hoping for the Battle Academy look)

I'm hoping the HIGH quality VISUAL look gave it away. [:)]

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with Rising Sun?

Jason Petho

What isn't? Here's the short list:

1. Yellow Tanks? (they could have used the bases and put the real color of tanks and other units for the Japs.

2. Everything way too small. It was almost like playing a Close Combat game which I don't for that exact reason.

3. Movement too slow (two hexes a turn for the inf? it takes forever to get into the action)

4. Cricket sound was annoying and terrible.

5. Takes too long for the engagements to start in random battles. Especially with that 2 hex movement of inf. front lines should have been 2 to 3 turns apart no more than 5.

6. Had to click every side exchange in an AI vs AI match just trying to watch how a game plays in the beginning. It's still annoying in a regular game when it's the AI's turn. If I click end turn it should be end turn and I don't have to click for the AI to start moving.

7. Too many units to move in a regiment vs regiment battle the smallest battle in the game and it took forever to finish just my turn let alone watching the ai move in a non-fog game.

8. AI generally braindead like most Tiller games.

Mostly it just looked and played like a toy soldiers in a sandbox. Too small icons and too long for a turn to pass.

What else would you like to know? [:)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not really...a game designed to be played from the top down would be much easier to manage and control than say CMx2 games are when playing top down, also CMx2 isn't really designed as a WEGO game so has issues playing like that.I envision the game to look very different to CMx2. The loss of hexes really wasn't a major request..I've just found abstract hex terrain if coupled with a highly detailed combat mechanic can create problems.

As for WEGO their is no reason that can't be played PBEM..You do your turned they do theirs then plays end of turn and you get the save where then you can watch the outcome.

I feel at a tactical scale then simultaneous turns is the most realistic mechanic..at higher scales then IGOUGO is fine. Flashpoint Campaigns is a breath of fresh air as it uses it.

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

wodin, it sounds like your wishes would create another CM/Panzer Command type of game. Why another one of those? Aren't they good enough now? I want the tried and true IGO-UGO style, hexes and the like so you can have easily done pbem games with results as soon as you move and fire. I dislike plotting moves -- especially travel columns -- with a passion.

I gotta say though a CMx2 look with the ability to play ALL the nations and a decent random battle or random campaign scenario would be just awesome. CMx2 is just too modulized for me and the quick battles is a joke of an implementation of random battles. I remember some campaign games from Combat Mission but never any random generated ones.
budd

Post by budd »

If they don't keep a lot of improved similarities to the original don't piggy back off the name. It's a good question probably with a wide range of opinions.
What do they have to keep "in" to be an SP remake, is scale, turned based and name enough? Top down graphics? Battle generator? Massive oob's ? All theatre's ? How about a rough road map from 2X3, we haven't heard from them yet. If your going to announce something like this, shouldn' t you have to step to the podium and face the crowd[:D]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

In the light of ALL the Steel Panthers versions made before what has remained the same in all of them and what has changed?

Top down has been in all of them except Kampfgruppe and Battlegroup which was a SIDE view.

But, if we go back to Kampfgruppe not every theater was in every game. They did separate Kampfgruppe from Battlegroup just like they did Panzer Strike and Typhoon of Steel. But, then came along Steel Panthers and each new version added more stuff than the last until we got Steel Panthers W@W with EVERYTHING, all theaters, all nations, full random battle generator, full campaign generator. What we didn't get was all scenarios that others made and that created the GENERAL edition which was really Steel Panthers with just a bunch of premades (which I never play) scenarios and campaigns.

Soooooo, if the Spiritual Successor is anything like the past it WILL have ALL the nations, theaters, random battle generator, campaign generator and IMPROVED graphics (whether they will be top down or 3D is the question. Going by the past it probably will be top down but I can always hope for a change in at least the graphics.)

That's just my 2cents I've been with the Steel Panthers series since Kampfgruppe and I've seen it all and couldn't have been happier when Steel Panthers W@W came out. I have The General edition with all the Mega Campaigns but I don't really play that as I just can't stand premades of anything anymore. To me the fun of pretending is pretending to command in a situation where you don't know the outcome, that's why I enjoy Norbsoft's Civil War and now Napoleon series (I don't play the premades I just play sandbox). Premades have too many sources that people quickly run and google before they play a game against someone. With random you don't have that option. [&o]

So, with all that you could very well get your top down look but I'm trying to visualize how they can IMPROVE on those "awful" graphics and blotches of infantry.

Return to “General Discussion”