Support check

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

gmtello

Support check

Post by gmtello »

Following the manual 20,5,1,2 explains that in order to resupply admin and a support check are done.the admin check is clear depends on the leader admin rating but what about the support check is a random against what?
Joel Billings

RE: Support check

Post by Joel Billings »

It's based on the amount of support the the unit has available to it versus the need the unit has. This is shown in the unit detail screen as Support/Need. Units draw support from their own intrinsic support squads and from excess support squads available at higher HQs in it's chain of command. I think the values shown in the unit detail screen are from the prior logistics phase when this is checked, but I'm not 100% sure of this. I don't know the exact formulas, but I think if you have equal to or more support than what you need, you will pass the check. If you have less than the need there is a chance you will fail the check.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

And the support squads provided bu the higher hqs the y have a terrain modifier. I dont know if i am right but i understand that excess support squads are provided by corps At 5 hex, armies to a máximum of 7,5 hex army group 15 hex and okw 22,5. Am i right?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I think the command modifiers listed in 7.7.4 only apply to leader checks, and not to the distance that support squads can be provided form HQs to units below them. So I think the ranges that are listed in the text in 7.7.4 are correct:

HQ’s will provide support help to units as long as
they are within the command radius of the HQ (5 for
corps, 15 for army, 45 for Army Group and 90 for high
level HQs).

The one caveat is that I think Air Command HQs will provide support out to their command range of 90 hexes.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”