The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel!

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Daniele

The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel!

Post by Daniele »

First published in 1998, this legendary series of operational wargames has seen six releases, including the latest Operational Art of War III, released to the wargaming audience in 2006. Now, as we conclude The Operational Art of War III, we are also taking a new step to continue the series into the future. Publisher Matrix Games and the TOAW Development Team have been working behind the scenes for nearly two years to take this landmark brand to new heights.

First, a long-promised update… with development for The Operational Art of War once again in full swing, many months of development both past and present have allowed us to complete the final update for The Operational Art of War III, version 3.4.1.9! This update allows us to bring the TOAW community a parting gift for TOAW III, including a feature enhancement, quite a few bug fixes and new and revised scenarios, while also laying the groundwork for a new release, The Operational Art of War IV.

The Operational Art of War IV started as an update intended to be TOAW III version 3.5, but when we were able to re-start full development on the series, it allowed us to do much more in the way of significant improvements than we had originally considered and it kept growing until it became a full release plan. As a result, we’ve invested the time and resources to continue the series while also continuing support for TOAW III and the TOAW community in the form of this update. As many bug fixes as possible, basically anything that was not too tightly intertwined with new features and code, were removed from the Operational Art of War IV process and are included in this 3.4.1.9 release.

The Operational Art of War IV is scheduled to release late this year and includes a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++. It also includes tweaks and improvements to the underlying mechanics based upon player feedback that are sure to bring TOAW’s proven gameplay to a new level. The many improvements in Operational Art of War IV are also aimed at growing the community by making TOAW more accessible for a new generation of wargamers.

The Operational Art of War IV will fully support modern computer hardware and operating systems. This will make it more user-friendly and able to scale to higher resolutions, especially in terms of font and button size. It reorganizes and adds functionality to many very useful screens and dialogs to make them more informative and easier to use. Once released, TOAW IV will continue to be supported for some time, hopefully leading to many more updates and improvements. TOAW IV will be the new base point for the TOAW series and future updates will be based on this new release.

For a complete list of changes for the 3.4.1.9 update, check here

You can download the patch here

Get more information about TOAW III from its official product page.

To discuss TOAW IV please go to its new Coming Soon forum here
fogger

RE: The Operational Art of War III receives a final update… and a sequel!

Post by fogger »

Am I the first to start the download?
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: fogger

Am I the first to start the download?
And me 2ns, alter Australier!

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Thank you Matrix Games, Ralph and all the people on the development team. I look forward to TOAW 4.
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: fogger
Thank you Matrix Games, Ralph and all the people on the development team. I look forward to TOAW 4.
You're quite welcome. I've been having a blast testing it.
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

TOAW 4 [&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Well I'm happy or let's say relieved that we finally get the long awaited patch, but what I don't get is why after the lessons of the past we don't get an extensive Open Beta to make sure that the patch is flawless, especially if this is a final patch with no more support.
Let's pray to the gods of war that they are with us!!!
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Thanks for the nice surprise.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

So, how many here knew this beforehand?
josant

Post by josant »

Thanks for all the job.
JA
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Is that change log complete?
I just wonder because FitE2 was said to be testing under the patch in development but afaik it needed some limits in the game shifted like max units etc. and I don't see this in the change log.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

I just wonder because FitE2 was said to be testing under the patch in development but afaik it needed some limits in the game shifted like max units etc. and I don't see this in the change log.

Yes, it's complete. FITE2 was testing what at the time was called 3.5. That has morphed into TOAW IV. We intentionally named this patch 3.4.1 to avoid confusion with that.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

I just tried to Update TOAW III from the game menu and it failed. The message mentioned a failure of a .zip file and one other error.

I am now trying to download the patch directly and apply it externally.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

The external download of the patch installed and now my game is working apparently normally with the new patch.

Thank you.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

slobber slobber whine grovel.....

[:D][:D][:D]
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
davidofga

Post by davidofga »

program will not run under windows 8.1 after update. Worked fine before update. Any ideas?
David B. Brown
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: davidofga
program will not run under windows 8.1 after update. Worked fine before update. Any ideas?
I would suggest posting your symptoms in the "help wanted / needed" section. Bob can solve any problem.
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Yes, it's complete. FITE2 was testing what at the time was called 3.5. That has morphed into TOAW IV. We intentionally named this patch 3.4.1 to avoid confusion with that.

"We"? Are you part of the development team now? Who else?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Daniele

The Operational Art of War IV is scheduled to release late this year

Is this written in stone or in wet concrete?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

ORIGINAL: Daniele

The Operational Art of War IV is scheduled to release late this year

Is this written in stone or in wet concrete?

The key word is "scheduled". And there's a lot left to do. But Ralph is highly motivated to meet it since there's an obvious benefit to a Christmas period launch.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”