The Final Countdown

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

jmarso

The Final Countdown

Post by jmarso »

A little over a year ago a member named acb3 posted a template for a 'Final Countdown' scenario.

I took that template, worked it over a good bit, and made 3 scenarios out of it. The first covers about the first 4 hours after the Nimitz emerges in 1941, covering some of the initial events of the movie up through the shootdown of the zeroes and the E-2 locating the Japanese fleet.

The second scenario starts at 0530 local time on the 7th, just before the Japanese are ready to begin their launch. Unlike the original template, I've pretty much removed the 1941-USN units from play- this is the classic movie showdown never seen on screen where the Nimitz flat bushwacks the IJN at dawn.

The third scenario mirrors the second, but I changed some of the briefing text and authorized/set up a nuclear strike on the Japanese fleet rather than a conventional strike. This is probably the most one sided scenario ever made for Command, but it does highlight the way it could be all over for the Japanese about 30 minutes after the first Intruder leaves the deck, as if there was any doubt. The rationale for a nuclear attack is given in the briefing- I think it makes sense and when you take the broader picture into account (especially if you are stranded in 1941,)

The catch here is that all of this stuff is based off a template that acb3 created, and I don't want to post the files without knowing the protocols about that here. Is it okay to build on something someone else made and post it, giving them credit for their original work? Do you need the permission of the original author? I don't want to step on any toes or break any rules. It looks like it's been over a year since acb3 posted- not sure if he's around anymore.
Dimitris

RE: The Final Countdown

Post by Dimitris »

Hello,

As long as proper credit is given to the original creator, there should be no problem.

Thank you for asking first!
Dougolin

Post by Dougolin »

jams, did you ever post your 3 Final Countdown scenarios? I'd love to play them.
acbennett3

Post by acbennett3 »

I'm still lurking - just busy with traditional wargame playtesting - primarily GMT COIN Series.

If you are still waiting on my permission JMarso - go ahead and post your scenarios for everyone.
I look forward to giving them a try.

Happy New Year.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Santayana

Return to “After Action Report”