Request: Operation Praying Mantis

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

SubCmdr

Request: Operation Praying Mantis

Post by SubCmdr »

Hello, I have been looking around for a historical version of Operation Praying Mantis, which took place in the 80's between the US and Iran. I have been unable to find a historical version, only one that takes place in 2017. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
magi

RE: Request: Operation Praying Mantis

Post by magi »

No one has designed one yet… But it would be a very interesting subject ...
Galahad78

Post by Galahad78 »

I thought about building this scenario (or, rather, a series of scenarios) after reading the (very interesting) "America's First Clash with Iran: Tanker War", but the amount of work is daunting [:(]. Sometime, in the future, perhaps...
SubCmdr

Post by SubCmdr »

I just got done with that book as well, hence my interest in the scenario. Perhaps I will try to throw something together, though I am not too proficient with the mission editor.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

I worked on this one (and probably many others did), but I decided to scrap this scenario, because I don't consider hunting two frigates and few patrol boats with full US CVBG very interesting.

SubCmdr

Post by SubCmdr »

ORIGINAL: DeltaIV

I worked on this one (and probably many others did), but I decided to scrap this scenario, because I don't consider hunting two frigates and few patrol boats with full US CVBG very interesting.

But the historical value. [:)]
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Maybe you could add the treat of a Kilo sub and some unconfirmed threats (Air, SAM, SSM) on a different side to spice it up? Perhaps restrict the CAW somewhat. Haven't really looked at this one so am not sure, but there is usually a way of putting the player on the edge a bit.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
NickD

Post by NickD »

You could use the scoring to make things interesting - if the player does worse than the USN did historically, they loose.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

Well, it's gone now so no big deal.

I usually choose between fiction and historical setting. If I consider historical setting unplayable for some reason, it's a no go.

It would probably make a nice tutorial scenario though.

1) Get some A/C up or do nothing and fire up radars
2) Fire some Harpoons or drop something on the ENY
3) Triumph and have a beer

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”