What is the best way to use skirmishers

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

goodwoodrw

What is the best way to use skirmishers

Post by goodwoodrw »

When how and why to use skirmishers
Formerly Goodwood

LittlePowell_NSD

RE: What is the best way to use skirmishers

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

When, how, and whyever you want. :)

In all seriousness, historically skirmishers were mainly sent ahead of the main force for reconnaissance. In SOWL, they can be used for this but also as a way to split up your forces to fill gaps in your lines, attack a units flank, etc. etc. On sandbox battles when the enemies location is unknown, I like to split off a few skirmish units to send them around the map.

When you play the first French scenario, there is a note indicating that several skirmish units have been split off and sent ahead to reconnoitre. You can do this too by right clicking any stationary unit, then clicking the split skirmish button. You can recall the split units in the same way, by right clicking them when they are stationary, and unsplitting them.

Hope this helps.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Good thanks yes
Formerly Goodwood

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I always used skirmishers to charge cannons. The more spread out your regiment is the less casualties you will take vs cannon.
PresbyterJohn

Post by PresbyterJohn »

Another name for skirmishers in the Napoleonic era is harassers. I firmly disagree on the role of reconnaissance. You're only sending them a few musket range lengths ahead. They cannot move far ahead or they will be to far from the formed lines and be vulnerable to being caught in the open by cavalry. Their role is to maintain a continuous fire upon the enemy while in a dispersed formation taking advantage of whatever cover is available. And retire to the formed battalion when threatened. Typically one company in the battalion would be trained in this role. They certainly did not move ahead and report back in the role of reconnaissance. This is wrong.

This does not necessarily apply to light battalions which have a different role on the battlefield.
LittlePowell_NSD

Post by LittlePowell_NSD »

Thanks Prester John, good answer. I still use them for short range recon--as you stated, a few musket ranges ahead. But like you mentioned, they can't go too far or they risk getting caught in the open. Continuous fire is a good way to put it. If used effectively you can completely envelop an enemy battalion.
NSD Map/Scenario Lead
ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

The French had Reg's and even whole Brigs of Lts/ Voltigers that would swam out in front of the attacking Div putting a lot of pressure on the enemy Inf and Cannon. These troops were trained to fire and reload on the move. The British did have Lt Bats put as Wellington never had enough Inf they hardly ever got used as they should and fought as normal Inf. 51st, 52nd and 71st. The Rifles 95th did at times fight as independent units. Along side the KGL Rifles units, again it is the British problem not enough troops of this type and commanders not understanding how to use them to the best effect.The Brunswick AVG were Rifle armed as well and fought very well. I only use 25% as Lts in this game to be sent out in front f the main Bat.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Play the late great game "Battles of Napoleon" they even tell you in the manual skirmish mode is best used vs cannon.
jomni

Post by jomni »

When you expect a shooting match (which happens all the time). Set all your troops in Skirmish mode and see them kill more enemy than the casualties they take. Unless they also are skirmishers. Of course this if the AI doesn't exploit and charge you. Skirmishers always win against lines in a shooting match. This is just my suspicion but havent tested out fully.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

They have a fire bonus, so this means an advantage both in offensive and defensive fire situations.
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

What are the mechanics for deploying skirmishers? I click on a flag but see no options for that. Must I take charge from the AI? Can all infantry throw out skirmishers?

Never mind; I found it.[8|]
Jim Cobb
Volunteer

Post by Volunteer »

ORIGINAL: Moltke71

What are the mechanics for deploying skirmishers? I click on a flag but see no options for that. Must I take charge from the AI? Can all infantry throw out skirmishers?

Never mind; I found it.[8|]

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvL1DVQmQFk
JWH

Post by JWH »

Could someone please explain to me very simply how to deploy the Allied units in the first Allied brigade scenario in Scourge of War: Waterloo into skirmish order?

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”