efficacy of fortified zones

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Higgins001

efficacy of fortified zones

Post by Higgins001 »

Is there merit in throwing up a few fortified zones close to Leningrad
or Moscow? Say after Jun 41 whilst they're a spendy 8AP?
loki100

RE: efficacy of fortified zones

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Higgins001

my approach is to build one in T1 on the hex at the east end of the Narva. This is the weak point in any Leningrad defense. Wrongly as any analysis of the map shows it should be marsh. So the quicker you start building up the fortification value the better.

My other early expenditure (butafter the price drops to 8) is the 3 hexes just to the west of Moscow. That'll ensure they are at a level #3 fort before the Germans arrive and should mean the end of any 1941 rush on Moscow.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Higgins001

Magnum PI
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

my approach is to build one in T1 on the hex at the east end of the Narva. This is the weak point in any Leningrad defense. Wrongly as any analysis of the map shows it should be marsh. So the quicker you start building up the fortification value the better.

My other early expenditure (butafter the price drops to 8) is the 3 hexes just to the west of Moscow. That'll ensure they are at a level #3 fort before the Germans arrive and should mean the end of any 1941 rush on Moscow.

I second Loki's exact advice.
Oh wait, you're my opponent. No! Put them around Kursk! Save Kursk!
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Early on I only use them if I have to seal up the finnish without committing troops.

After that when AP is abit more available and they are only 4AP my tactic was to use them in rear areas with Rifle BDEs- As the rear areas can only fortify to level two if next to a fortified zone. So you can in effect take a bunch of the rebuilding divisions/rifle BDEs and tank bdes and park them in bubbles around a fort zone and build an entire Lvl 2 fortified back up defense line with a lvl 3 in middle from the fort zone if it has enough time.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Same issue from the German's perspective ... Is it practical starting in early 42 or so to spend 4 AP a turn slowly building a fortification network between Koenigsberg and Bret Litovsk ??? At 55% TOW it would cost 500 men per zone. Thoughts ???
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

Return to “The War Room”