What's your turn workflow like?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

RE: What's your turn workflow like?

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
It seems that most players organize first by geographic location. I find it easier to organize through the main menu screens, filtering for certain data and sorting:
• Bases sorted by air support required, then supply required
• Land-based air units sorted by fatigue level, then filtered by nationality and type, then sorted by location
• Ship-based air units sorted by fatigue level, then filtered by type and sorted by ship
• Task forces sorted by endurance needed, then location (if at a base)
• Ships sorted by damage type

I also like to do quite a lot of sorting; there is always that patrol squadron left on naval search 100% extended range... and 30 fatigue
or that submarine that got ten depth charge hits but decided to remains on patrol.
I would also sort by mission... as there is always one float plane left on recon over a base that is now 50 hexes away
and/ or that squadron that is resting/ 0% mission since last december
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I always start with the most important stuff first. I then work my way backwards. That way when/if I get tired, bored and sloppy I will at least have sorted out the important bits.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I always start with the most important stuff first. I then work my way backwards. That way when/if I get tired, bored and sloppy I will at least have sorted out the important bits.

Same. I highlight several rows in Tracker alerts of things I want to do, and in my Word notes from the replay I will bold some items. I do those at minimum. Anything else is chrome.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I do what I really have to do that turn based on memory / combat report(except turn 1 for Japanese / 2 for allied, on those I spend many hours). Then depending on my mood I do chores like pilot training, routine convoy checkups etcetera...

This is why I have yellow supply flags in backwaters on a regular basis.... No system (chaos theory). I used to loose a substantial amount of shipping due to screw ups. These days not that many, the benefit of experience...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

As a Brit I always start at Cape Town and end in what used to be our North American provinces....

I work on a operational area at a time, I seldom have the energy to bother with the rear areas much.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

I haven't even played GC yet but already I have created a workflow system of multiple folders filled with multiple category notes, advice, snapshots of maps. In addition, I've had to pre-load three different third-party tools on my laptop (Tracker, Combat Reporter, Intel Monkey) which I will be using after I USB memory-chip transfer turn archive files from one computer to the next, so I can view reports independently without screen switching (no dual monitor, but dual computer method).

I have also stocked-piled instant coffee containers and have a back-up portable heater. Have also been keeping a keen look-out for discount pizza delivery coupons.

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Probably need multivitamins as well to counteract the effect of lack of sunlight for the next few years.....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: ryanb

Hi all,
New player here trying to get my head around this huge game. I've been messing about with the smaller scenarios, reading tons of AAR's, gameplay tips, FAQ's, etc.

One thing I'd like to ask the more experienced players is, do you have a set list of ordered tasks that you stick to when playing? I'm all over the place right now, and I can see that it won't scale at all to the full war scenario. Any suggestions on how to organize your gameplay to be better able to handle the scope of the game would be greatly appreciated.

-R

Here is how I go through a turn:

- go from the left to right of the map looking at the major ports, disbanding and creating TFs, repair ships

-open Operations Report (in-game one or txt ) to see what new units/ships/air groups arrived on map; give orders to the units

-select the All Ships icon in the game, and select SS (submarines) only --- see which submarines need to quit patrols and return for repairs

- open Tracker and highlight all Alerts saying "LCU reached destination" by Ctrl+c the alerts, copy them to a Word document and start giving orders to the units(posture, attack, digging etc.)

- click Ground/Naval Air Groups icon in game and see which units have abysmal morale. Stand them/down/train/change leaders.

End turn.

Also, I like to keep West Coast tidy. My port for moving units is San Francisco.At a given time, I only place there units prepping for one location. All other units are dumped in Alameda, Mare Island, Stockton and Sacramento. So, units bound for Pago-Pago are placed in SF, for Savaii in Alameda, for Suva in Mare Island. Sacramento is a dump for units with no assigned prepping. Thus, I cut down on time spent sifting through units in SF and fitting them in appropriate convoys. When the Pago convoy leaves, I move Alameda units to SF. Rinse and repeat.

Return to “The War Room”