GD 1938

Post here to meet players for MP games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderator: Vic

Bombur

GD 1938

Post by Bombur »

What about an 8 (up to) player game with GD1938, using the last version released by ernie?
ironduke1955

RE: GD 1938

Post by ironduke1955 »

Count me in not fussed about the nation.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

It seems people lost interest in this mod????
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I am not a big fan of making it impossible to get much use out of captured major faction cities. It defeats the entire point of the research that improves your production for captured cities.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Well, it´s impossible to please everyone.....
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Once again they already produce at 50 percent. A research item allows that to go to 70 percent. Why was it changed? I do not recall ANYONE complaining about captured production. Why have the research if you are going to gut it?

All the latest changes most severely effect the AXIS. More troops in minors the axis have to attack, less factories, and now little to no production from captured cities.

You and Ernie did a GREAT JOB, I do not understand this desire to undercut it lately.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I don't like change. I am very conservative. I know some change is good but when there is a lot it bothers me.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Once again they already produce at 50 percent. A research item allows that to go to 70 percent. Why was it changed? I do not recall ANYONE complaining about captured production. Why have the research if you are going to gut it?

All the latest changes most severely effect the AXIS. More troops in minors the axis have to attack, less factories, and now little to no production from captured cities.

You and Ernie did a GREAT JOB, I do not understand this desire to undercut it lately.

It was actually a player request that the major people produce less when being captured. Some people felt that when the Axis first got a hold of France, it tipped the game. So it was in response to this that the change was made. I knew it would hurt the Japanese the most, but eventually I was convinced that it was ok. I hope to eventually make a improve conquered people card like there already is for own people, but that is a way off.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I would like to point out that captured nations DO NOT produce at 50%. They produce at 25%....this is confirmed by looking the people's tab in the edit game feature. Likewise it can be confirmed by just looking at the production.
Chinese cities captured by Japanese produce 1 PP for every 2000 production capacity.
100% production is 1 PP for every 500 production capacity. Thus the Chinese produce at 25% the rate for Japanese that they produce for themselves.

And this cannot be improved.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Isn't there an action card for "coalition" or something like that that allows for full(?) or increased production from minor cities ?

It's a pricey devil but it might be the trick in some circumstances.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

There is a pricey devil out there that now is less pricey, and now only increases the own production of Non-major powered people. Major power people only produce at 25% just as being said.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

People are forgetting that the decrease in production for major conquered people is more than offset by the much improved ability to increase production in homeland and to upgrade cities everywhere.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

The engine that runs my war machines are home cities, they produce ethnically the correct national group to gain the 115% bonus,
I do not expect to take over any city that will provide me with 100% production research or Supply for reasons to obvious to state here, so is it 75% 50% or 25% supposing you capture Berlin circa 1945,
what is the value of that city its a ruin, even if it isn't there Germans they are not happy about being occupied some may even actively trying to sabotage the benefits you gain from occupation,
on top of that you may have to feed them so they are more of burden than a benefit. We can play the game like risk if you capture Oceania its two pieces right. Or we can try for something more complex.
The main plus to your side conquering your enemies cities, is one benefit currently not being mentioned, those enemy cities are not producing tanks planes infantry research or supply to use against your state.
You have weakened your enemy. That's the reason you conquer enemy cities so your enemy cannot continue the fight against you. The Axis have disadvantages in manpower and resources,
these disadvantages should not be magically balanced by conquest, only in the sense that there should be a tipping point where the Axis achieves by conquest first parity then superiority.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I have been playing a learning game and the Soviets attacked Poland in the June 27th, 1938 turn. The Germans soon joined the attack, and both nations made major efforts. It is now December 1938 and Warsaw is still Polish. The Poles have caused heavy casualties to both Reds and Germans. Neither nation is enthusiastic about an assault any longer, and are wearing the city down with artillery and airpower. I played the Germans and Soviets pretty well, but not perfectly. The French led Poles hardly needed much play, but I did conserve a lot for Warsaw.

I think the "heavy" OOBs for minors has gone past what realism and balance demand. The game I am playing has been greatly slowed by the Polish attack. The Germans have only taken Holland, no attack yet on Belgium, Luxembourg, or France.

This OOB for minors makes GD1938 feel far less like World War Two.

Chuck
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

An early attack is a loser now. As Germany I waited till I had a bit more umpf to attack Poland.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

This is absolutely realisic, btw,an early attack would have resulted in anearly disaster for Germany. In 1938 they were to weak to take on France, and even against Poland they would face significant dificulties. That´s why Hitler only went to war after diplomacy, threats and blackmail failed.And more, the "peaceful" takeover of Czeckoslovakia was absoluely necessary for Germany to be able to achieve superpower status (not only all these Czechs factories and resources, but also the Czech tanks which were far better than the pathetic PzI´s and PzII´s that equipped Germany tank forces in 1938)
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

On the other hand, I´m pretty sure IronDuke will win as Axis anyway....
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The problem with waiting in GD1938 is Britain and France get to powerful by sept 1939 to win.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I fear that if you fight to much with the same opponents they learn your art of war, and I have noticed that is the case, if I keep playing the same players I will lose the edge, and find myself being stomped.

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The problem with waiting in GD1938 is Britain and France get to powerful by sept 1939 to win.

Maybe, but the French and the British have quite a few troubles too....the British have a huge empire that can be threatened by many powers, the French lack manpower and their army fights poorly, both countries are heavily vunerable to naval interdiction and so on. Of course the Germans are lost if they follow the historical path against a skilled enemy, but there are some alternative strategies to be pursued....diplomacy counts a lot

Return to “Opponents Wanted”