is this game worth 110aud?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

simcityrefund

is this game worth 110aud?

Post by simcityrefund »

110aud for this game ?. does it provide lots of content and repleyability? hows its ai? hows the turn time midgame and lategame? will i get a chance to get a diffent alternate war if i do things different ? does the ai react if i dont follow historical path?
Yaab

RE: is this game worth 110aud?

Post by Yaab »

I say the in-game database is alone worth 110aud. Preaching to the addicted!
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I suggest you read a couple of AARs to decide for yourself if it is worth the cash...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: ifailmore

110aud for this game ?. does it provide lots of content and repleyability? hows its ai? hows the turn time midgame and lategame? will i get a chance to get a diffent alternate war if i do things different ? does the ai react if i dont follow historical path?

There's a solid base of content, and a lively modding set.

The AI is a little overburdened in the grand campaign scenarios, so consider doing those PBEM. About alternate war and the AI, it's still a bit overburdened.

The game is best played against a human opponent. Turn time depends on what you want to do; if you're planning big operations, things take longer. The Japanese player has some LONG turns for the first 4-6 months of the grand campaign, and the Allied player sees his turn length increase as he switches to the offensive and gets more stuff.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Welcome back Terminus! Long time no see. [:)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

If you are asking this group if the game is worth the price and you are expecting a well balanced answer, you're not going to get it. We all think this game is fantastic and WELL worth the money (think about a dinner out with the wife [and kids?] and there goes over $100 and the dinner is over in about an hour where this game will give you HUNDREDS of hours of fun and dread). As indicated, look at the AARs and you will see.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And I have to agree with Terminius, although the AI does ok, it in NO WAY allows for the hair raising action that you get when you play by email a live opponent who has it in for you!
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Be warned! This game is extremely addictive![&o][&o][&o] If you buy it, soon you will be thinking can my wife get a second job? In the middle of the night, you may be contemplating your next move. Soon you will be doing spreadsheets and who knows what.[X(] I know. I'm a recovering addict.
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

Read the AARs (After Action Reports) is a good idea. I think this game is not for everyone. It is a wargamers wargame i.e. I don't think there is any other simulation out there containing as much detail and will require from you as much patience and diligence to learn the game. You really need to be someone who likes a huge amount of detail and management, and enjoy all the details of the Pacific theater WWII.

But the AARs I think will give you an idea where this game shines i.e. PBEM competition over a fairly long period of time. In this respect, I don't think there is any other wargame available right now that gives you this thorough a level of realism for the Pacific war and detail.

simcityrefund

Post by simcityrefund »

thank you for the responses. I just would like to add is that im new to the pbem series and Im incline to play the ai first till i at least played some of the scenarios and get myself familiar with the game. When people say the ai is overburdened do you mean that ai become slow in between turns? or the the ai forgets what it doing and not do anything at all during the midgame and or late game?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The replayability of the game is extremely high, one of the highest for any wargame I've ever played. The majority of players play against the AI, but the majority on the forum are PBEM players. I have never played PBEM (my schedule doesn't allow the commitment), and I find the AI gives a decent game, though obviously not as good as a human. The original writer of the AI is reworking it right now to make it better. There are multiple AI scripts for each official scenario, one is picked at random when you start, so you can restart the game and get a different AI experience each time.

Unfortunately the AI's reactions are not great. It will react some to what you do, but it isn't very dynamic in that way. If you deviate a lot from history, it will still give you a good game for a while, but it will hit the wall at some point.

The first turn of the grand campaign takes a long time to set up. The last time I played, it took me a couple of days to slog through. From there, turns took about 1/2 to 1 hour to complete. Just be warned, the learning curve is steep. Some call it the learning cliff. But once you get your arms around it, the game is highly addictive, even against the AI. I was involved in writing the code for the AE release and had a front row seat on the development team. There are things about the game I still learn from time to time.

We also have a very active mod community. Some mods are focused on making the existing scenarios even more accurate, such as DaBabes which adds a bunch of small ships, bases, and other units not in the released game. Then there are a lot of "what if" scenarios. Additionally, one of the programmers is still active fixing bugs and adding the occasional feature. I strongly recommend patching the game to the latest version after buying.

And Terminus, long time no see!

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I believe the game is slightly overpriced given the level of Matrix/Slitherine support. At 110 is isnt badly overpriced but pushing it a bit for a 6 yo game.

Something in the 70-80AUD range would be more realistic, compared against the newer releases of WITW & WIF.

But, they still want 84AUD for WITP & 70AUD for EDBTR so Matrix's pricing structures are a shambles.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
simcityrefund

Post by simcityrefund »

whats EDBTR?
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

The game is DEFINITELY worth 110 AUD. I've been playing since it first came out in 2004-2005. The amount of hours i've enjoyed playing this game, sorry, weeks, months have been awesome. For example, i'm currently in a game that started two and a half years ago and still enjoying it, running a turn almost every day!

John 21:25
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

whats EDBTR?
Eagle Day/Bombing the Reich
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Better value than owning the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders...at least at our age!! Oops, you are Aussie...will have to google them.
KMCCARTHY

Post by KMCCARTHY »

I've wasted money all over the world. This is not a waste.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I believe the game is slightly overpriced given the level of Matrix/Slitherine support. At 110 is isnt badly overpriced but pushing it a bit for a 6 yo game.

Something in the 70-80AUD range would be more realistic, compared against the newer releases of WITW & WIF.

But, they still want 84AUD for WITP & 70AUD for EDBTR so Matrix's pricing structures are a shambles.

AUD is crumbling at the moment. Wasn't that long ago it was on a par with US$, but now AU$110 is around US$80.

I am in awe of this game....buy it! You're always learning but it's also one that you tend to pick up quite easily.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I have been playing this and WITP (its predecessor)since the day it came out and frankly, although I occasionally am tempted by some other games they get about a week's worth of interest and then just reside on my hard drive - or often are just taken off. This one has afforded me well over a decade's worth of play and still I itch for the next turn back from one of my opponents. I'm also still learning it.....

It is not for everyone, but as others have said, calculate the amount versus the number of hours played and its the cheapest thing in life that is not free.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”