Not able to upgrade to V2.00 or beyond

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

kool_kat

Not able to upgrade to V2.00 or beyond

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I previously had my copy of JTCS patched to V2.02 and it was working correctly.

However, after a 6 month absence, I came back to this title to play some PBeM matches. But, I am unable to save games in progress and each time my game software crashes.

I did a "clean" install. I uninstalled JTCS. I than re-loaded "vanilla" JTCS V1.00 + patch V1.04 AND tried to load V2.00 - twice. Each time after I loaded V2.00, my game would not save scenarios and kept crashing.

So... I did a clean install with JTCS V1.00 + patch V1.04 and everything is working correctly.

Please advise how I can patch up to V2.02?
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
kool_kat

RE: Not able to upgrade to V2.00 or beyond

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

Problem resolved! I did an automatic update... via the game menu... and it is working correctly now.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
berto

Post by berto »

Your fundamental mistake was 1.00 > 1.04 > 2.0*. No need for 1.04 at all anymore. You should instead do 1.00 > 2.0* directly. Which is what the automatic update would do.

Anyway, glad it's now working for you.

Welcome back!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: berto

Your fundamental mistake was 1.00 > 1.04 > 2.0*. No need for 1.04 at all anymore. You should instead do 1.00 > 2.0* directly. Which is what the automatic update would do.

Anyway, glad it's now working for you.

Welcome back!

Hey Burto: [8D]

Initially, I "thought" my copy of JTCS was working correctly. [:(]

Unfortunately, your instructions to upgrade to V2.2 Patch did NOT work. [:(]

Here is what I did:

1) Uninstalled JTCS.
2) Installed JTCS V1.00 using a game copy I had saved on a CD-ROM (Had original serial number).
3) Used game menu to perform "automatic" upgrade to current version - V2.2.
4) JTCS installed to V2.2. I am able to select scenarios... move units... plot opportunity fire, etc. Game version indicated it is V2.2

However, when I tried to save my scenario or advance to the next turn, the scenario stopped working, the screen went to a lighter shade and a blue circle appeared. At that point, I had to bring up Task Manager and Task Manager indicated that the scenario had stopped running. I had to use TM to close out of JTCS.

When I install, I am selecting the default path that adds a quick start icon to the desktop.

My gaming PC is running Windows 7, 8GB memory, 64-bit operating system.

Note - JTCS patched to V2.2 was working previously on the referenced PC.

So, I uninstalled JTCS and than did a "clean" install and installed V1.04 Patch (used a copy on a CD-ROM). I am able to save games. When I select either "save" or "save as", a small save screen displays and I am able to rename the file and save it in the default folder. I started a PBeM game with V1.04 and my opponent will load a copy of V1.04 on his PC too.

Here's what I would like to do...

1) Keep my V1.04 copy on my gaming PC. It's working correctly and I've started a PBeM match with this version.
2) Have a second copy - patched to V2.2 that is working correctly. (Not sure many players would be willing to install a V1.04 just to play me? [&:]

Please let me know if you need additional information. Would like to get this issue resolved asap.

Thanks in advance for your help Berto! [:)]
Regards, - Mike

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi Mike, if you are installing in the default, ie Program Files~, that is most likely the problem. I usually make a folder called Games, then install into that. Reason is Windows 7 does weird stuff with saving, etc. I also run Win7 64 bit, and works perfectly! Let me know?!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Kool Kat

Unfortunately, your instructions to upgrade to V2.2 Patch did NOT work. [:(]

Here is what I did:

1) Uninstalled JTCS.
2) Installed JTCS V1.00 using a game copy I had saved on a CD-ROM (Had original serial number).
3) Used game menu to perform "automatic" upgrade to current version - V2.2.
4) JTCS installed to V2.2. I am able to select scenarios... move units... plot opportunity fire, etc. Game version indicated it is V2.2
So far, so good.
However, when I tried to save my scenario or advance to the next turn, the scenario stopped working, the screen went to a lighter shade and a blue circle appeared. At that point, I had to bring up Task Manager and Task Manager indicated that the scenario had stopped running. I had to use TM to close out of JTCS.
Remember that 2.0* introduced error logging. After a crash like this, what do your error.log and the tail end of engine.log report?
When I install, I am selecting the default path that adds a quick start icon to the desktop.
As Mike suggests, install in C:\Games\Matrix Games (or D:\Games\Matrix Games, or whatever).
Here's what I would like to do...

1) Keep my V1.04 copy on my gaming PC. It's working correctly and I've started a PBeM match with this version.
2) Have a second copy - patched to V2.2 that is working correctly. (Not sure many players would be willing to install a V1.04 just to play me? [&:]
Should be entirely possible. I have dozens of game installs on my system(s) (most of the installs in backups dating back two to threee years). I can run them all without difficulty. My preferred way of launching the game (other than directly from the Cygwin command line) is to doubleclick on the East Front (or ...) EXE in Windows Explorer. After that, game operation, including game saves, is never an issue.

But most helpful if you would report what the error.log says (and maybe also the tail end of engine.log).
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Hey Berto and Mike:

Still not working. [:(]

1) I created a "Games" folder. C:\Games
2) Uninstalled JTCS
3) Installed JTCS to: C:\Games\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series
4) Short cut folder remained John Tiller's Campaign Series
5) Conducted an "automatic" update to V2.2
6) Game is indicating V2.2. I can select scenarios, move units, conduct in game operations, etc. However, when I tried to save my scenario or advance to the next turn, the scenario stopped working, the screen went to a lighter shade and a blue circle appeared. At that point, I had to bring up Task Manager and Task Manager indicated that the scenario had stopped running. I had to use TM to close out of JTCS.

Regards, - Mike

kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [:(]

Sorry - I spoke too soon!

It appears it is working occasionally... not consistently. [&:]

Back to square one.

Next trouble shooting steps please.

Is it possible for one of you gents to send me a copy of JTCS - patched to V2.2 that is working correctly? [&:]

I can PM you my serial number if you need to verify that I purchased a legal copy.
Regards, - Mike

berto

Post by berto »

From what you describe, it doesn't seem like your problem is a bad install. Especially the "working occasionally... not consistently" observation (also that you had a working 2.02 before) suggests to me that you have some weird systems issue, not specifically a game issue.

Two suggestions:

[*]What does error.log say? (And also the tail end of engine.log?)
[*]Take the issue up with M/S Tech Support. As we on the Dev Team are really not competent to address system issues.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Hey Berto and Mike:

Thank you both for your assistance! [:)]

After spending nearly 4 hours installing / uninstalling JTCS, frustration levels are approaching the boiling point... and I've decided to "cut my losses" and be done with it.

I've uninstalled JTCS again... and have done a "clean" install of JTCS + V1.04.

I currently have a working copy of V1.04 and since my opponent will also install V1.04 on his PC, we'll move forward with this "partial" solution.

Maybe at a later date, I'll pursue Matrix Technical Support - but right now I wish to enjoy my time with JTCS! [8D]
Regards, - Mike

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I don't believe the Automatic update actually works. (or it is tempermental)

You need to download and install the UPDATE from here:

2.02 UPDATE

Jason Petho
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Hey Jason, Berto and Mike: [8D]

I did move forward and report this issue to the Matrix Help Desk.

Hopefully, a fix to this issue is forth coming! [:)]

Update (Only 2 hours after I submitted a trouble ticket): The Matrix Help Desk resolved the issue! [:D]

Here's the resolution (May help other players)

Please open the folder where you've installed the game. Locate and select a file named "autorun.exe". Press the right mouse button and select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Tick the option "Run this program as an administrator". Click on "Apply" and "Ok". Double click on "autorun.exe" for running the program and check if the issue persists.

I also had to tick the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also have to launch the game using the autoexe file within the game folder. I no longer can use the quick start icon on my PC desktop.

Bottom line - My JTCS copy is updated to V2.02 and is working correctly - I can save scenarios and advance to next turns! [:D]
Regards, - Mike

berto

Post by berto »

Yay!! Matrix Help Desk to the rescue! [&o]
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Awesome, game on!![:D]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”