NotOneStepBack (WA) vs. Seminole (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

NotOneStepBack

RE: NotOneStepBack (WA) vs. Seminole (Axis)

Post by NotOneStepBack »

T3, the 8th BR comes totally ashore on Sardinia, and at Sicily, the 7th US army pushes through Italian resistance and cuts to Catania.

The bombing of HI continues to intensify and I rack up 8 bombing VPs this turn.

Attachments
sard3.jpg
sard3.jpg (77.67 KiB) Viewed 191 times
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Sicily T3

Attachments
sicily3.jpg
sicily3.jpg (170.09 KiB) Viewed 191 times
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Naval interdiction on Sardinia

Attachments
sardiniabeg3.jpg
sardiniabeg3.jpg (176.49 KiB) Viewed 192 times
decourcy2

Post by decourcy2 »

Hopefully you guys continue this; I want to see what happens with Sardinia/Corsica.
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

I do too, not sure what happened as Seminole has had the turn for over a week.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

This will definitely continue. I explained to NOSB when I accepted at the time I had too many games already ongoing, and would only work on this one when I didn't have a pending turn in the others in fairness to those opponents. Real life has been taking up too much time from me leading into the end of the fiscal year at work and finishing some home projects prior to 4th of July weekend. But once Saturday comes and goes my personal calendar will be better and I do a better job of keeping up my other games and moving this one along.

Bear with me, I'm in for the long haul!
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Additional 'minor resistance' in Sicily results in one of the 7th Army depots being overrun by Italian motorized infantry.
German attacks against the Yankee paras fail to dislodge them, and they avoid encirclement for leaving their flanks hanging in the air.

Italian paratroopers take up positions in and around Cagliari.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Update: I plan on getting to this sometime this week I hope. I haven't forgotten. I was pulled into jury duty the last two weeks and basically then work swamped me, and then I had my PC be re-formatted so I have to re-install all WITW things too.

This dog just doesn't wanna hunt!!
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Turn on the way soon, Sardinia is isolated and I captured Cagliari.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Can you send me the change log for the version you're using.
I'd just like to know the rules. [:)]
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Yeah sure, I'm on version 1.00.50.

Not sure where I can find a change log though?
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

If the private beta is the same then the change log should be a cumulative PDF located inside the install folder (C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the West) named whatsnew.pdf

Just curious what rules may have changed between versions.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Weather is smiling on the Allies so far.

90th PzG withdraws from Cagliari in advance of the Allied attack. Italian units are left to corset some German fortifications.
At the end of July Allied forces have managed to advance 30 miles from the beaches.

While the weather remains favorable perhaps the pace of operations has begun to wear on Allied naval patrol efforts.
Also, despite repeated efforts to bomb the port, Olbia is open for business.

On Sicily the Allied advance focuses to the east. Paratroops screen on the eastern flank, but the Italians don't offer attacks.
At sea it is unclear whether or not reinforcements are intended to aid the advance on Messina. German intelligence is not even sure if the temporary ports are still being serviced, or if the invasion is being fed from the remaining stocks and the repaired port of Gela.
The Luftwaffe conducts some naval patrol in the absence of dedicated Allied efforts and attempts to put a temporary blockade on Sicilians invasion's line of communication to Africa.

NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Ahhhh, the weather demon rears its head :)
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

[;)]
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Turn 6

Weather is still favorable in the Med.

Sicilian theater:

Hube organizes a counterattack against the US 3rd Inf Division that sends them reeling back towards Catania.
A follow up attack against the US 2nd Arm Division is called off when surprise is lost.

The Italians and Germans continue to probe Allied lines.

On Sardinia the Allied advance continues against uneven Italian resistance.

The sea lanes to Olbia remain open, as Allied aircraft suffer increased losses from heavy operations.

NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

After a little bit of a hiatus I have returned. Apologies for the delays. We are rollin' again!

:)
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Turn 7.

Bad weather brewing in the Artic, but the Med remains calm.

With the capture of Catania on Sicily and the ports of Tortoli and Oristano on Sardinia the Allies pull stakes on their temporary ports.
TF 545 (C) is spotted offshore of Tortoli to aid with port repairs.

Pilots lulled into a false sense of security after long patrols hunting U-boats in the Atlantic encounter the terror their bomber brethren have been experiencing over the Reich.
Results like this lead to the Allies calling off naval patrols NE of Olbia for the time being.

Sensing that Allied naval interdiction are getting weaker due to a month of high tempo the Luftwaffe decides to turn up the heat.

Allied raids in the N Europe meet a few fighter swarms.

In Sicily Patton has pulled 2nd Armored back from Catania to try and bisect the island. The Rangers are called in to fill the gap NW of Catania while 7th Army continues pushing in all sectors against Italian defenders.

Hube elects to pull the H. Goering Pz Div back around Mt Etna and assault the Rangers directly. The hope is to open the American lines and press towards the ports in their rear.

The Rangers flee from the panzer onslaught. Their light weapons offer them no hope on these open plains.

Schmalz Bde drives the attack and Patton cannot rally the Rangers. They swim over the river to the west.

The Italian motorized are again put into action. One regiment makes contact with the 2nd Armored to ensure they cannot serve as reserve. The remaining motorized regiment sweeps through Agrigento and overruns the depot and airbase at Licata. If the Italians had been better fueled to start the week they'd be sitting in Gela now.

On Sardinia the Germans continue slowly falling back north while the Italians hold out on the western coast.

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” - Alexander the Great

Il Duce declares that the fighting spirit of the Italian people remains unbowed and unbroken!
The unoccupied ports of Gela and Sircusa revert to Axis rule as spontaneous civil uprisings occur in response to the audacious Italian motorized advance.

With both invasions cut off, and 7th Army's stockpiles looted by Sicilian mafia, Eisenhower mulls resignation.
Having split his forces in the face of the enemy, can he refocus and muster enough strength to rescue one, both, or neither?

Return to “After Action Reports”