Another supply query

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

PzIV

Another supply query

Post by PzIV »

Hi,

Playing the Road to Leningrad scenario and get to about turns 9, 10 or 11 and and 4th Panzer grinds to a halt.

Supply (fuel) being the issue.

I have Rail repair going on heading towards Riga.....I have OKH in Konigsberg and AGN in Riga.....4th PG HQ is north east of Pskov.

Regardless of how I play this scenario I get the same results supply wise???

What am I doing wrong......cheers in advance!
timmyab

RE: Another supply query

Post by timmyab »

fbd 4 should be in Pskov by turn 9. If your rail is only 'heading towards Riga' then you're doing something wrong with rail conversion.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe you are not using FBD units to repair main rail line manually? Relying on automated repair won't get you far.
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

Cheers for the quick responses
In the Road to Leningrad scen I have 9 RR units of which I can manually use one....the rest appear to be on auto pilot.

How can it be possible to get an RR unit to Pskov in 9 turn s given that they take a turn per hex to repair......?

Cheers
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

ORIGINAL: kate
How can it be possible to get an RR unit to Pskov in 9 turn s given that they take a turn per hex to repair......?
Bingo! :)
You can repair more than one hex per turn. Up to six per turn in the baltic zone.
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

ah ahhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh

That's angels singing your praise.....!

I didn't know that........thank you Timmyab!
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

Hi,
Had a look and can only repair one hex at a time.....?

Any ideas?
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

One of the Units in question (FBD1 I think) will have a movement point value of 16 the rest are automatically repairing the lines and it is the one with 16 mp that you should be using to repair the main railway line, you also need to make sure that it doesn't end a turn next to an enemy unit by itself or it will rout away, just like HQ & airbases do if left on their own. You also need to make sure that it is converting all the railway hexes in a line, as if you miss one your ability to convert further hexes will be stopped.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

Thanks Manstein63

FBD4 is the one that I can use.
Bingo! :)
You can repair more than one hex per turn. Up to six per turn in the baltic zone.

Can't figure out how to do multiple hexes per turn.....?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Use "R" mode (press key with no units selected) to find out where are your railhead (green hexes) and your FBD unit (highlighted yellow). Make sure it's placed on a "red" hex, next to a "green" hex. Click repair button in unit details' box. Notice that in "R" mode the hex will turn orange/yellow with 1 inside. You can move to next hex and repeat the procedure as long as you stay next to "green" or "1" hexes.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Move one hex and click on Repair in the unit symbol on the top right of the screen. Then move to an adjacent RR hex and click repair again. Repeat as desired [:)]

The FRD units do NOT automatically repair anything. Every time you move these the player must actively chose to repair a RR hex. If you cannot, then you do not have a line of unbroken RR hexes back to Germany. The RR map mode is your friend [:)] as you can easily see where your RR lines may be missed/broken. Just make sure NO units are selected or this mode will not work [:(]
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

Thanks morvael and Numdydar.

That was what I was missing......cheers!

Think I'll start scen again for a giggle......
morvael

Post by morvael »

You'd better restart it, since not repairing rail at maximum speed usually means serious trouble for Germany, and you will never achieve proper advance rates.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

If you encounter a problem where you have available MPs remaining, you are on a hex that can be converted, but cannot convert despite this, it is because there is a distance limit (from existing rail at start of turn) to how far away your FBD can go (4 to 6 hexes, roughly). Especially in the Baltic zone where conversion costs 1 MP per hex, you will hit that limit sometimes.

Also, there is ONE way to get to Pskov by Turn 9. Make sure you know the cheapest route.
In a "Road to" scenario, the automated rail units don't make much difference (at this point they could probably be removed from scenarios to help beginners with similar problems as the OP), but in the campaign scenarios, they make a big difference when used smartly.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Another thing to be aware of especially when you are playing any of the other ROAD TO scenarios & the campaign game is that it cost 3 mp to convert a railway hex outside the Baltic zone, this is in addition to the cost of moving into the rail hex that you wish to convert.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
PzIV

Post by PzIV »

These answers are a great help......thanks guys!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”